House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ccc

Adverts On Tv About Men

Just in the past number of years they seem to have exploded. Now i am not easily offended - but it does annoy me when adverts are freely shown - when if the exact same advert had roles reversed - you would have a barage of complaints and discussions about them on Question Time.

Just saw a new one for Aldi i think. Woman getting her dog to lick up tea - then pouring it into a cup of tea - before calling her husband with a big smile on her face to drink it :o No reason behind it at all.

There are loads of similar adverts out there. One for a yoghurt with a burd on a beach looking at some bloke running up with his top off. Starts to describe him (and apparently the product too) with words like 'creamy' and 'delicious' etc.

Then the bloke trips up and she says 'thick' whilst laughing.

Now none of these are a big deal or their own. However - they would NEVER be allowed with the roles reversed.

Just what is wrong with this country ? Its just totally weird and ******ed up.

Just in the past number of years they seem to have exploded. Now i am not easily offended - but it does annoy me when adverts are freely shown - when if the exact same advert had roles reversed - you would have a barage of complaints and discussions about them on Question Time.

Just saw a new one for Aldi i think. Woman getting her dog to lick up tea - then pouring it into a cup of tea - before calling her husband with a big smile on her face to drink it :o No reason behind it at all.

There are loads of similar adverts out there. One for a yoghurt with a burd on a beach looking at some bloke running up with his top off. Starts to describe him (and apparently the product too) with words like 'creamy' and 'delicious' etc.

Now none of these are a big deal or their own. However - they would NEVER be allowed with the roles reversed.

That's equality for you.

Most adverts make me actively want to buy less.

Me too. But sadly advertising works on the masses. Until people wake up to the fact that they're cash cows it'll continue.

I don't watch much TV but when I do I find adverts very annoying particularly the type mentioned by the original poster where people are demeaned

The ads are annoying, but ultimately they are intended to manipulate thick women into buying stuff they wouldn't otherwise buy. As an added bonus they create fodder for our long-running Deluded-Old-Scrapper-Birds-On-Dating-Sites thread.

The ads are annoying, but ultimately they are intended to manipulate thick women into buying stuff they wouldn't otherwise buy.

Au contraire, according to this explanatory short from L'Oreal, encouraging a sense of narcissistic self-entitlement in the punters is nothing to do with manipulation of thick people for profit but all about the fall of the Berlin Wall, or something like that...

The ads are annoying, but ultimately they are intended to manipulate thick women into buying stuff they wouldn't otherwise buy. As an added bonus they create fodder for our long-running Deluded-Old-Scrapper-Birds-On-Dating-Sites thread.

Now that's a very good point :D Would be lost without it.

There's another one with olde slapper Amanda Holden ordering a troupe of servile semi-naked guys around while pretending to eat yoghurt. I'm thinking Dave Lee Travis for the gender reversal...

Then again, are the ads really any worse than the androphobic crap that comes in between?

fascinating thing about ads is that they offer a window into the deep psychology of their intended targets.

what the yogurt one says about women, i don't know; deserves analysis.

appealing perhaps to universal deep-seated resentments/ neuroses wrt men.

really needs somebody to write a book: Women, as revealed through the mirror of advertising

... or somesuch.

i'd buy it!

There's one for Wonga where a couple have to borrow instantly to replace a wonky bed. For some reason hubbie gets the blame.

I wasn't paying attention. And I wasn't really expecting a brief explanation of the diminishing returns to labour anyway.

fascinating thing about ads is that they offer a window into the deep psychology of their intended targets.

really needs somebody to write a book: Women, as revealed through the mirror of advertising

... or somesuch.

i'd buy it!

Spot on.

... or somesuch.

i'd buy it!

According to Adam Curtis anyway, it's already been half written (sort of) in 1928...

Bernays places great importance on the ability of a propaganda producer, as he views himself, to unlock the motives behind an individual’s desires, not simply the reason an individual might offer. He argues, “Man’s thoughts and actions are compensatory substitutes for desires which he has been obliged to suppress.”[9] Bernays suggests that propaganda may become increasingly effective and influential through the discovery of audiences’ hidden motives. He asserts that the emotional response inherently present in propaganda limits the audience’s choices by creating a binary mentality, which can result in quicker, more enthused responses.[10] The final five chapters largely reiterate the concepts voiced earlier in the book and provide case studies for how to use propaganda to effectively advance women’s rights, education, and social services

33kyip2.jpg

... or somesuch.

i'd buy it!

i found it interesting to discover that in July 1995 the government (conservative) put the Department of Science and Technology into the Department of Trade. The dominant perspective in Psychology is Scientific so therefore it comes under this umbrella. A lot of Psychological research is used for profit e.g. the tendency for people to want to compete with others..."better" car/clothes/holidays/food and the tendency for people not thinking for themselves what to eat/wear/drive.

There are other perspectives in Psychology which do not attract corporate funding.

If you read anything about Psychology I would suggest you keep it in mind that whatever the author says there will undoubtedly be other viewpoints

i found it interesting to discover that in July 1995 the government (conservative) put the Department of Science and Technology into the Department of Trade. The dominant perspective in Psychology is Scientific so therefore it comes under this umbrella. A lot of Psychological research is used for profit e.g. the tendency for people to want to compete with others..."better" car/clothes/holidays/food and the tendency for people not thinking for themselves what to eat/wear/drive.

There are other perspectives in Psychology which do not attract corporate funding.

Where would you place somewhere like the Tavistock Institute on that spectrum?

It`s revenge for all the Miss World and Les Dawson stuff of the past, some of the Les Dawson (and others) stuff was quite brutal (but funny) in it`s sexism (remember the long drawn out Billy Connolly joke on Parkinson about the murdered wife, the **** sticking out of the ground and parking the bike?) Many more women pulling the strings in advertising and TV nowadays it seems.

My understanding is that the Tavistock Institute is mainstream Scientific Psychology and it will be funded by corporations.

I mention it because it appears to have been influential over the years, is funded by a mix of state and private institutions and seems to have a long-standing interest in, putting it crudely, the application of psychology to herd control.

My own inclinations lie towards reason and voluntarism when interacting with others. I have a deep suspicion, maybe a prejudice, of psychological research. IMPO the practical application of its findings are always going to attract the interest of the few seeking to exert influence over the many.

I'm a big fan of Aldi but their adverts are awful. This new one is the worst by far. That female character has been in at least one other and is so annoying. I didn't think it was particularly anti-men. Just insulting to anyone with half a brain.

the discovery of deep psychology by Madison Avenue after the war is documented brilliantly by Vance Packard in his "Hidden Persuaders":

515sdaT5-bL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX385_SY500_CR,0,0,385,500_SH20_OU02_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hidden-Persuaders-Vance-Packard/dp/097884310X

Also worth reading is the Culture Code by Clotaire Rapaille

51C7eJMxhVL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/The-Culture-Code-Ingenious-Understand/dp/0767920570

It`s revenge for all the Miss World and Les Dawson stuff of the past, some of the Les Dawson (and others) stuff was quite brutal (but funny) in it`s sexism (remember the long drawn out Billy Connolly joke on Parkinson about the murdered wife, the **** sticking out of the ground and parking the bike?) Many more women pulling the strings in advertising and TV nowadays it seems.

Agreed - it's a counter to all the thick-bimbo-dumb-busty-blonde stuff that went on for decades before. Sauce for the gander, and all that...

I still think it's a pretty pathetic approach, though.

I'm a big fan of Aldi but their adverts are awful. This new one is the worst by far. That female character has been in at least one other and is so annoying. I didn't think it was particularly anti-men. Just insulting to anyone with half a brain.

Although I've just noted that her previous outing below was voted advert of the year 2011. Who do they think they're appealing to?

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2011/dec/28/gin-loving-pensioner-top-tv-ad-2011

EDIT: the new advert is on Aldi's Facebook page - where people think it is "Pmsl brilliant" " hahaha omg so funny" "Another classic giggler"

Very funny new Aldi advert