House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
londonguy

Goodmayes, Essex

Am looking at properties in this area and have seen 3 bed properties prices at around £300-£350k close to the station..

Pro's

Station link to London in 20 mins (soon to be crossrail)

Links to North circular

Supermarkets close by

Generally safe

Cons

Standard high street with lots of Ethnic shops

Area doesn't have a vibe/heartbeat

No Nice parks to go to.

Based on the above I think this area with the current prices is a good bet..

Thoughts?

Massive white flight from this area (the whole Redbridge borough, but this area in particular):

2001 for Goodmayes: 11,000 residents, of which 4,300 white British

2011: 13,000 residents, of which 2,200 white British

Big growth in Pakistani/Bangladeshi population, 1200 up to 3300.

Try a bit further out into proper Essex?

Massive white flight from this area (the whole Redbridge borough, but this area in particular):

2001 for Goodmayes: 11,000 residents, of which 4,300 white British

2011: 13,000 residents, of which 2,200 white British

Big growth in Pakistani/Bangladeshi population, 1200 up to 3300.

Try a bit further out into proper Essex?

Haha. You have no idea who londonguy is! Do you? He/she maybe Pakistani/Bangladeshi and looking to move to an area with lots of other Pakistani/Bangladeshi people around!

BTW I looked at a place just south of Goodmayes Station about 18 months ago. 3 bed house with 100ft plus garden, asking price £250k. I didn't want to offer more than £235k and there were 2 other interested parties. If the price of places around there really has jumped to 300-350k, looks like I was a bit dumb to offer so low! The house was ok, liveable for me, but needed quite a bit of work. I really liked the garden and it was on a nice quite road. However most of the surrounding area was a bit of a dump. Although there was a large park just around the corner which seemed quite nice, so I don't why you think there are no parks nearby? Maybe you haven't looked hard enough! Better get someone else to look over the house if you can't even see those big green spaces dotted around! :P

Edit

Cons

Standard high street with lots of Ethnic shops

Opps, I just reread the first post. Kind of gives it away that londonguy isn't ethnic! :rolleyes:

Edited by renting til I die

Even if he was Pakistani or Bangladeshi, such areas tend not to be good investments.

The degree to which the white population has left Redbridge (and likewise Dagenham and Barking) in the space of a generation is astonishing. The borough's grammar schools, entirely white 30 years ago, are now down to around 5% white British.

This hasn't happened in Havering, and indeed if you look at the level of Tory vote in say Romford, a Labour seat in 1997, it is now one of the safest Tory seats in the country, thanks in no part to its prototypical Essex man MP.

article-1318600399196-0e5c00f100000578-629652_568x476.jpg

Why not try north of the A12 - Barkingside or Newbury Park for example. Still relatively cheap for London - and not so bad.

My parents still live in the area - they quite like their diverse ethnic neighbours. They are polite and keep their kids under control and treat them as elderly people with respect. Many of their former white British Essex neighbours were as rough and common as anything - and they have far fewer issues now.

So don't let the ethnic diversity put you off - as north of the A12 Redbridge borough is still a pleasant suburban area - well there is a lot worse in London! It has changed a lot in 10 years though as has been pointed out.

Edited by MARTINX9

Horses for courses really. I quite like the ethnic shops myself. Better than cost cutter anyway.

I'm not really sure that young Pakistani chavs are better than white chavs, but as you say the older ones tend to be less coarse than some of the rough as old boots white working class, but the OP doesn't really seem to want to live on that kind of area, so it seems to me that if white suburbia is where you feel comfortable, then that's where you should be looking, Havering, Epping Forest, perhaps Bexley or Bromley also.

Horses for courses really. I quite like the ethnic shops myself. Better than cost cutter anyway.

I'm not really sure that young Pakistani chavs are better than white chavs, but as you say the older ones tend to be less coarse than some of the rough as old boots white working class, but the OP doesn't really seem to want to live on that kind of area, so it seems to me that if white suburbia is where you feel comfortable, then that's where you should be looking, Havering, Epping Forest, perhaps Bexley or Bromley also.

Thanks for everyone's input... have decided against buying there and will prob spend a bit more and go towards gants hill / Barkingside.

In this context doesn't "white flight" just equate to "BNP-tendency flight". No bad thing in my view. And possibly followed ten years on by liberal white influx, which can't be bad for house prices.

In this context doesn't "white flight" just equate to "BNP-tendency flight". No bad thing in my view. And possibly followed ten years on by liberal white influx, which can't be bad for house prices.

Well it might mean that. But there are plenty of places where the whites leave and the outcome is just a different hue of slum. Luton, Slough, etc.

If the whole of London ultimately gentrifies, this could happen I suppose.

Well it might mean that. But there are plenty of places where the whites leave and the outcome is just a different hue of slum. Luton, Slough, etc.

If the whole of London ultimately gentrifies, this could happen I suppose.

I nearly fell off my chair at the post about how the hipsters are going to gentrify Goodmayes!

Redbridge has historically been a very nice middle class suburb which as little as a decade ago had a diverse Irish, Jewish and Indian/Sikh/Tamil population alongside the more traditional white British population. South of the A12 - including Goodmayes - it is now turning into a Pakistani/Bengali ghetto.

Far from regenerating as has happened to many other areas of London it is literally degenerating and going downhill. I could literally cry when I think of what has happened to my home town!

So little chance in my opinion of it becoming gentrified - it used to be and is going in the opposite direction just like Slough and similar places. And with Labour likely to take overall control of the council for the first time ever in May - its only going to get worse.

Great for buy to let - but I would not live south of the A12 in Redbridge - until you get as far west as Wanstead anyway.

I'm back again (original poster)... will now be buying a place on Green Lane.. It's a big ole semi detached Victorian property with Offstreet parking for 3 cars plus a 100 ft garden - 3 bed selling for around £350-360k.

Could gentrify on the basis that crossrail opens in 4 years and people are priced out of other areas but don't want to stay in Ilford/seven kings...

It's a 4 min walk to station ... 17 mins to Liverpool street

Possibility they could clean up goodmayes road (the road with the station) by bringing in more upmarket shops?

Thoughts on the above?

interesting how people perceive a large number of ethnics as a bad thing

i had nothing but problems when i lived in a "white" area of london- sh*t through the letter box, bottles of urine in the garden, mud/stones thrown in the pond, a murder across the road

Only ever been to visit 1 property. Goodmayes Manor (converted University of East London building). Lovely inside, fantastic hallways, but something is not right with the road outside and prices hasn't gone up since it went on sale (during the recession - it was overpriced back then!)