House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Eagle

Meat And Cheese May Be As Bad For You As Smoking

In a new study that tracked a large sample of adults for nearly two decades, researchers have found that eating a diet rich in animal proteins during middle age makes you four times more likely to die of cancer than someone with a low-protein diet—a mortality risk factor comparable to smoking.

[...]

Not only is excessive protein consumption linked to a dramatic rise in cancer mortality, but middle-aged people who eat lots of proteins from animal sources—including meat, milk and cheese—are also more susceptible to early death in general, reveals the study to be published March 4 in Cell Metabolism. Protein-lovers were 74 percent more likely to die of any cause within the study period than their more low-protein counterparts. They were also several times more likely to die of diabetes.

[...]

Rather than look at adulthood as one monolithic phase of life, as other researchers have done, the latest study considers how biology changes as we age, and how decisions in middle life may play out across the human lifespan.

In other words, what's good for you at one age may be damaging at another. Protein controls the growth hormone IGF-I, which helps our bodies grow but has been linked to cancer susceptibility. Levels of IGF-I drop off dramatically after age 65, leading to potential frailty and muscle loss. The study shows that while high protein intake during middle age is very harmful, it is protective for older adults: those over 65 who ate a moderate- or high-protein diet were less susceptible to disease.

[...]

Crucially, the researchers found that plant-based proteins, such as those from beans, did not seem to have the same mortality effects as animal proteins.

Full article here (it's quite long):

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-03-meat-cheese-bad.html

Lots of interesting points, basically eating a healthy vegetarian (or mostly vegetarian) diet from 35-65 is best, after that protein intake should be increased again.

Full article here (it's quite long):

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-03-meat-cheese-bad.html

Lots of interesting points, basically eating a healthy vegetarian (or mostly vegetarian) diet from 35-65 is best, after that protein intake should be increased again.

Where did you get your 35 to 65 age range from? The study only compared two age groups, 50 to 65 and 66+.

http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(14)00062-X#ExperimentalProcedures

Of course for that age group the filling of supermarkets with 90% of their stock being processed crap has nothing to do with the sickness rates?

Of course for that age group the filling of supermarkets with 90% of their stock being processed crap has nothing to do with the sickness rates?

No don't be ridiculous, it's the local organic grassfed steak and fine aged parmesan that are the killers obviously. Best give them up and buy some soy mince & tofu for dinner!

Not popular on this forum, but me and my partner stopped eating meat and cheese because of bad cholesterol results about a decade ago; also biscuits and chocolate had to be sacrificed.

Theses days we have both got very good stats on cholesterol, blood pressure and BMI.

Of course we have had surveys that indicate cholesterol readings are indicative of nothing and being slightly overweight increases longevity.

At the end of the day I think you have got to tailor the diet to your circumstances..........a diet which is nearly all carbs, fruit and veg and virtually no fat actually seems to suit our active lifestyle. It would probably super size the average person and cheese and meat to supress appetite might be the healthier option.

Not popular on this forum, but me and my partner stopped eating meat and cheese because of bad cholesterol results about a decade ago; also biscuits and chocolate had to be sacrificed.

Theses days we have both got very good stats on cholesterol, blood pressure and BMI.

Of course we have had surveys that indicate cholesterol readings are indicative of nothing and being slightly overweight increases longevity.

At the end of the day I think you have got to tailor the diet to your circumstances..........a diet which is nearly all carbs, fruit and veg and virtually no fat actually seems to suit our active lifestyle. It would probably super size the average person and cheese and meat to supress appetite might be the healthier option.

Ive attempted to drop wheat and processed sugar from my diet..I have a warm feeling about the theory off the paleo diet...some say high cholesterol is in fact caused by the body's reaction to inflammation caused by wheat...a product we cant eat until we process it.

and it appears the cholesterol level test is pretty much like looking at reading the speedo of a car you have know idea what it is..you know you are going 50mph, but have no idea how or why.

I'm sure there used to be a website called meatncheese about 10 years ago that was differently bad for your health. The sort of site that showed you things you wished you'd never seen :(

P

Ties in with the days of starterupsteve and some other site I can't recall but is still around and pretty big.

Anyway, this research pretty much fits with stuff discussed on this forum. IIRC IGF-1 doesn't increase with plant based protein sources.

Ive attempted to drop wheat and processed sugar from my diet..I have a warm feeling about the theory off the paleo diet...some say high cholesterol is in fact caused by the body's reaction to inflammation caused by wheat...a product we cant eat until we process it.

and it appears the cholesterol level test is pretty much like looking at reading the speedo of a car you have know idea what it is..you know you are going 50mph, but have no idea how or why.

Indeed the big story last week was that carbs are the killer and not fats.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/health/463310/Fatty-food-is-less-damaging-to-your-diet-than-sugar-and-carbs-say-experts

My own opinion is that you can't be too prescriptive with diets, everybody has different nutritional requirements. If you go down the carb route and maintain a healthy weight it is unclear to me where the damage is.

Only solution is to stop eating entirely. That is 100% certain to avoid death by overweight..

Everything in moderation. That way no one thing builds up enough to kill you.

With all these things around that can kill you from eating them, its a wonder anyone makes it over the age of 60.

Where did you get your 35 to 65 age range from? The study only compared two age groups, 50 to 65 and 66+.

Something not too far from 35 would intuitively make some sense. It's the time of life when your metabolism is just starting to slow, and you can no longer get away with unlimited feasting without getting seriously fat. And it's b***** hard to change habits of a lifetime!

One of those "Life begins at 40" things, as your body gradually loses its ability to take various kinds of abuse and privation, and takes much longer to heal when damaged.

I'm sure the problem with these foods is with excess!

Everything in moderation. That way no one thing builds up enough to kill you.

Studies show too much moderation is dangerous ;)

With all these things around that can kill you from eating them, its a wonder anyone makes it over the age of 60.

Ban dihydrogen monoxide! :ph34r:

Indeed the big story last week was that carbs are the killer and not fats.

http://www.express.c...rbs-say-experts

My own opinion is that you can't be too prescriptive with diets, everybody has different nutritional requirements. If you go down the carb route and maintain a healthy weight it is unclear to me where the damage is.

sugar....some say that fructose is sugar as sucrose is sugar.

But fructose is processed in the liver, and sucrose needs shot of insulin....one will therefore cause insulin tolerance over time if taken to excess...google fructose and the loons tell you it destroys the liver.

Only solution is to stop eating entirely. That is 100% certain to avoid death by overweight..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inedia

Inedia (Latin: "fasting") or breatharianism is a new age practice which alleges the ability to live without food. Breatharians claim that food and possibly water are not necessary, and that humans can be sustained solely by prana (the vital life force in Hinduism), or, according to some, by the energy in sunlight (according to Ayurveda, sunlight is one of the main sources of prana). The terms breatharianism or inedia may also refer to this philosophy practiced as a lifestyle in place of the usual diet.

Loopy IMO.

I'm very much of the opinion that a variety of relatively unprocessed tasty foods in moderation is probably the best.

Avoid the things which make you personally feel bad. Nuts and bananas might very healthy - but a friend of mine can never eat them.

Give some thought to your ancestors/family history too. For example, northern Europeans have been consuming dairy products for thousands of years - and as such have evolved an increased tolerance of them compared to say the average Asian. Equally, if you have a family history of diabetes, you might want to avoid eating too many refined sugars.

Finally, your needs probably vary throughout your life and even with the seasons if you spend any time outdoors.

I'm very much of the opinion that a variety of relatively unprocessed tasty foods in moderation is probably the best.

Yep. And processed foods too - also in moderation. I'm sure you could eat a spud or onion raw, but I'm not inclined to give up processing (cooking) them. And some good foods - a cassava or a kidney bean - are positively poisonous unprocessed.

Avoid the things which make you personally feel bad. Nuts and bananas might very healthy - but a friend of mine can never eat them.

Yep. But perhaps retry occasionally. As a child and young adult I couldn't eat mushrooms (they made me sick). Now in middle age they're a staple of my diet.

Give some thought to your ancestors/family history too. For example, northern Europeans have been consuming dairy products for thousands of years - and as such have evolved an increased tolerance of them compared to say the average Asian. Equally, if you have a family history of diabetes, you might want to avoid eating too many refined sugars.

Up to a point, Lord Copper. My dad seems to eat nothing but sweets and is pretty healthy for his age and not at all overweight. I just can't keep up with him on the desserts! And as for asians and dairy, that story seems to be much-exaggerated.

Finally, your needs probably vary throughout your life and even with the seasons if you spend any time outdoors.

Absolutely. You drink a Pinot Grigio or a Weizenbier in high summer, vs a hearty Rioja or classic real ale in winter. Whoops, there I go with my processed food again :o

I'm beginning to come round to this highly intuitive line of thinking.

Here's an interesting email exchange between a pro- and an anti-wholegrain researcher (warning: one of them gets handed her **** on a plate :D ):

http://anthonycolpo.com/the-whole-grain-scam/

Yep. And processed foods too - also in moderation. I'm sure you could eat a spud or onion raw, but I'm not inclined to give up processing (cooking) them. And some good foods - a cassava or a kidney bean - are positively poisonous unprocessed.

Yep. But perhaps retry occasionally. As a child and young adult I couldn't eat mushrooms (they made me sick). Now in middle age they're a staple of my diet.

Up to a point, Lord Copper. My dad seems to eat nothing but sweets and is pretty healthy for his age and not at all overweight. I just can't keep up with him on the desserts! And as for asians and dairy, that story seems to be much-exaggerated.

Absolutely. You drink a Pinot Grigio or a Weizenbier in high summer, vs a hearty Rioja or classic real ale in winter. Whoops, there I go with my processed food again :o

I like to eat Mint Aero raw....

I don't know, but I'm guessing smoking is still less good for you than cheese and meat!

I rarely eat a 5 pound steak covered in Stilton, then have a giant cigar, all washed down with Whisky! :blink:

I don't know, but I'm guessing smoking is still less good for you than cheese and meat!

I rarely eat a 5 pound steak covered in Stilton, then have a giant cigar, all washed down with Whisky! :blink:

You haven't lived mate