House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oldsport

Supermarket Ground Coffee

I've started drinking ground coffee regularly for the first time in years - I've been tea only with a very occasional cup of instant coffee.

It seems standard coffee blends are roughly £2 for a supermarket own brand whereas brand names like Taylors etc are about £3.50.

Is there going to be any difference? I know it can be roasted different ways - but comparing like with like, is it worth the extra for a brand?

I'm not interested in super premium stuff like Blue Mountain or anything that's been sh!tted out by rodents. Just normal everyday coffee.

I find the own brand stuff to be quite drinkable, but there is a lot of variation and it's taken me a while to find which ones I like. My preference is for 3 on the strength scale, while my wife prefers 4. If you like a crazily dark roast, then this won't be of any use to you...

Like:

Sainsbury's Basics (cheapest I have found and tastes good)

Sainsbury's own brand (occasionally on offer, making it cheaper than the above)

Morrisons (currently buying a mixture of their 3 and 4 strengths which are the same price)

Don't like:

Lidl

Asda

(I've found both to be over-roasted and tasteless)

I find the own brand stuff to be quite drinkable, but there is a lot of variation and it's taken me a while to find which ones I like. My preference is for 3 on the strength scale, while my wife prefers 4. If you like a crazily dark roast, then this won't be of any use to you...

Like:

Sainsbury's Basics (cheapest I have found and tastes good)

Sainsbury's own brand (occasionally on offer, making it cheaper than the above)

Morrisons (currently buying a mixture of their 3 and 4 strengths which are the same price)

Don't like:

Lidl

Asda

(I've found both to be over-roasted and tasteless)

So, it looks like there is more of a difference than I thought even with own brands.

I also like 3 and 4 strength. The last pack I've just finished was Sainsburys normal own brand and that seemed very nice - and I was planning today to buy the Morrisons 4 strength called "Anytime" for £2.15. But that's only because I forgot to buy Aldi's last week on my regular shop - so maybe that was a good move!

EDIT - In your post I misread Aldi for Asda! - have you tried Aldi?

And I've noticed all the supermarkets and some of the brand names do an "Italian Style" which I don't understand at all. Isn't coffee in Italy always based on an espresso - either straight or with additions to turn it into cappuccino or latte. But this stuff seems to be intended for normal coffee makers. Does it just mean stronger, darker roasted coffee?

EDIT - In your post I misread Aldi for Asda! - have you tried Aldi?

That's funny, because I meant Aldi when I wrote Asda!

I can't remember anything about Asda's own brand which makes me think that they might not sell one. At least, not in the branch that I used to work near.

'Whole bean' and 'Grumpy mule' strength 3 are both very good ground coffees. They're all I drink.

And I've noticed all the supermarkets and some of the brand names do an "Italian Style" which I don't understand at all. Isn't coffee in Italy always based on an espresso - either straight or with additions to turn it into cappuccino or latte. But this stuff seems to be intended for normal coffee makers. Does it just mean stronger, darker roasted coffee?

Italien and contnental style tend to have a percentage of Robusta beans in them. They give more body and crema, but come witht the price of bitterness and darkness. Italians drink there espresso with lots of sugar so this cancels out the bitterness.

I have tried the Sainsburys brand and not found it any worse than other brands, though I dont touch the cheaper basics stuff.

I buy beans,and if you buy in bulk they are cheaper but last longer than already ground bulk. I think they make a better cup as well.

I dont really go for speciality stuff and just like a general brew, made in a french press. I was about to try the Suma Honduras beans off Amazon where a kilo bag is about 14 quid

this works out quite cheap and also its recommended for the Bulletproof coffee.

I've tried cold brew the past couple of weeks. It definitely removes most of the acid and you can keep it handy in the fridge, but it does use up a lot of grounds.

Italien and contnental style tend to have a percentage of Robusta beans in them. They give more body and crema, but come witht the price of bitterness and darkness. Italians drink there espresso with lots of sugar so this cancels out the bitterness.

I have tried the Sainsburys brand and not found it any worse than other brands, though I dont touch the cheaper basics stuff.

I buy beans,and if you buy in bulk they are cheaper but last longer than already ground bulk. I think they make a better cup as well.

I dont really go for speciality stuff and just like a general brew, made in a french press. I was about to try the Suma Honduras beans off Amazon where a kilo bag is about 14 quid

this works out quite cheap and also its recommended for the Bulletproof coffee.

I also find Sainsbury's own (not the basic) version very palatable. Aldi's Italian Blend id drinkable but not as nice while Tescos Italian blend is on a par with Sainsbury's own (original).

Just keep the opened bags of ground coffee in the freezer which stops the oils drying out and is good imo for 6weeks which is more than enough time to empty the bag.

I find the Sainsburys own brand one to be very "drinkable"

So far as brands go, forget the Taylors of Harrogate or Whittards of Chelsea brand type stuff.

Compare, say, Sainsburys own brand with Lazazza Rosso or Illy Espresso, both of which are also sold in Sainsburys.

Following above advice I've now tried the Sainsburys Original blend and Morrisons "Take Your Time" - both strength 3 - both very nice and I don't think I can tell the difference between these two - and they're certainly good enough for me! (Made in a cafetiere)