House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wurzel Of Highbridge

I Went To Tesco Today...

I went to Tesco today, and while I was in there thought I had not seen a Tesco thread for a while. Admittedly it's the first time I have been in since i've been back in the UK as sainsburys and morrisons seem to be catering for me quite well.

I got caught at lunch time so popped in for two value scotch eggs, it was very quiet in their considering the amount of traffic.

I went to Tesco today, and while I was in there thought I had not seen a Tesco thread for a while. Admittedly it's the first time I have been in since i've been back in the UK as sainsburys and morrisons seem to be catering for me quite well.

I got caught at lunch time so popped in for two value scotch eggs, it was very quiet in their considering the amount of traffic.

Every time I have popped into one, of several, large Tescos in Swansea since Christmas they have been incredibly quiet. Their prices, IMPO, have risen substantially.

Not surprised .. Sme frugal food grups on facebook are pushing local butchers, green grocers, Aldi and Lidl ..

Tesco does not get a mention.

Last time I went to Tesco the meat area resembled something out of the former soviet era. Scratty sad looking portions of meat at ludicrous prices.

Last time I went to Tescos there was a scrum in front of the discount meat section, people were grabbing things straight out of the (slightly frightened looking :unsure:) shelf stacker's hands before he'd even had a chance to put them out on the shelves...

Rest of the store was fairly quiet.

Tesco is the model for the whole of the UK.

...just keep on pushing up prices.

They seems to have continued the same policy for 4 or 5 years too long and can^t turn back now.

Tesco is the model for the whole of the UK.

...just keep on pushing up prices, whilst cutting the quality of goods and service.

They seems to have continued the same policy for 4 or 5 years too long and can^t turn back now.

Corrected that for you.

Last time I went to Tescos there was a scrum in front of the discount meat section, people were grabbing things straight out of the (slightly frightened looking :unsure:) shelf stacker's hands before he'd even had a chance to put them out on the shelves...

I saw something similar the last time I visited Tesco (New Malden). A group of 10-15 people were hovering around the stock door. A shelf-stacker appeared, pushing a stack of discounted items. As soon as he was out of the door, he was enveloped by the scrum of people outside. The stack of baskets was emptied in a matter of seconds. I'd never seen anything like it.

Now I know why I seldom see any discount items on the shelves any more!

I saw something similar the last time I visited Tesco (New Malden). A group of 10-15 people were hovering around the stock door. A shelf-stacker appeared, pushing a stack of discounted items. As soon as he was out of the door, he was enveloped by the scrum of people outside. The stack of baskets was emptied in a matter of seconds. I'd never seen anything like it.

Now I know why I seldom see any discount items on the shelves any more!

I was in the big one in Kensington, London, so was quite surprised but then I guess the more well-to-do locals were down the road in Waitrose!

I went in recently for some stuff you can't get in Aldi/Lidl, like Aspirins (bizarrely the discounters don't sell them, and aspirins do sort my constant headaches).

I ended up spending about a tenner as they had 6-packs of Kit-E-Kat for £2.70; not quite as good as the 12-packs of Butcher's that Lidl sell on and off for £4.99, and which my cats like, but cheap enough, and the three kittahs here need feeding. At the till I got a three pound off twenty quid spend voucher!

As a lapsed doomsday prepper I'm half tempted to buy a lot of 20p pasta and bottled water, but equally a 15% discount makes Kit-E-Kat the favourite, so I guess I need to get back there and stock up.

Do any cat lovers here feed them cheaper than canned food allows BTW? I do have time to use a pressure cooker etc., they get half a can each per day with the balance made up from Lidl biscuits. Any time we or the mother in law roasts a chicken they get the pickings (unless my mum does her legendary chicken soup).

In case anyone thinks I'm a cat abuser they are all beautiful British Blue house cats in rude health, spoiled more than enough IMO! :P

As a lapsed doomsday prepper I'm half tempted to buy a lot of 20p pasta and bottled water, but equally a 15% discount makes Kit-E-Kat the favourite, so I guess I need to get back there and stock up.

Do you ever watch Doomsday Preppers on Nat Geo? I'm totally fascinated...

Not just Tesco - Morrisons was surprisingly quiet yesterday afternoon. Was some kind of sport on?

I only go to Tesco when there's other option, but since it's open 24 hours that's quite often. I've seen similar re: discount counters. Although they are generally pretty civilised with the regulars sharing out the loot rather than grabbing it all for themselves.

I got the missus a kilo of fresh mackerel for £2 the other day which she was very pleased about.

I went to Tesco's yesterday. One chap was wandering around barefoot in shorts and vest. Then the store was full of naff products at high prices- my usual gripe is Tesco meat. It is no surprise that the machine spat out a £6 off if I spend £40 on my next trip. I only went to Tesco because I was short on bread. Now they are back in the position of paying me to go there. I find visting Sainsbury much more ; friendly staff, better products, nicer stores, better ethics for food prodction. I used to use the local butcher but have rrecently moved.

I went in recently for some stuff you can't get in Aldi/Lidl, like Aspirins (bizarrely the discounters don't sell them, and aspirins do sort my constant headaches).

They have paracetamol and ibuprofen though.

Don't take ibuprofen though as if you get a bee sting it makes it worse.

The reasons why I avoid shopping in tesco are, anyone who does not sign up to their information for free club card pays over the odds for their purchases......the ones who use it get some of their overspent money back and they make out they are giving you something when in reality they are not....there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Also I would prefer to shop in a place where they don't try and pull the wool over your eyes about what is a good deal and what is not....lots of tricks to make you think you are getting a good deal when many times you most certainly are not......deals that encourage you to buy more than you might have, these more often than not are perishable foods such as fruit or branded products that are not always the healthiest of products.

Shops where you know sell consistently lower priced quality food, no silly double the price to half it type offers....shops that treat their customers as if they are valued and important, not stupid are more preferable to shop with. ;)

Similar story here in my local SW market town.

Two tescos, one vast the other just big. The smaller one is almost always empty. The LIDLs, on the other hand, are increasingly busy.

It's hard to see what Tesco offers now, LIDL/ALDI cover the bottom end with waitrose/M&S further up. Tesco also fared very badly in the latest "Which?" magazine report into cutomer satisfaction with supermarkets.

I'd sell tesco shares if I had them.

Do any cat lovers here feed them cheaper than canned food allows BTW? I do have time to use a pressure cooker etc., they get half a can each per day with the balance made up from Lidl biscuits. Any time we or the mother in law roasts a chicken they get the pickings (unless my mum does her legendary chicken soup).

In case anyone thinks I'm a cat abuser they are all beautiful British Blue house cats in rude health, spoiled more than enough IMO! :P

I feed our cat* with vita cat from Aldi at 21p a box (ioog) or vita cat hard food at 90p for 950g. Works out at 10 to 15p a day.

Keep her lean and mean I say.

*the wife feeds her Sheeba in order to make her love her. Hasn`t worked for 2 years!

I guess it is inevitable that Tesco will stop selling groceries and become a land lord/bank.

http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/article/1222215/tesco-chairman-says-customer-experience-paramount-worst-place-earth-blog

'The company that provides the best relationship with the customer will win — not through product, but through the best experience. '

Broadbent is ex Barclays. Clearly these people are listening to advice from the very management class who have dragged them into the mire. DOOOOOMED.

They sold me rotten onions when I last went and you lot thought I deserved it.

I have never gotten over any of this.

you should avoid the salmon mousse

They sold me rotten onions when I last went and you lot thought I deserved it.

I have never gotten over any of this.

I feel your pain. Nothing worse than picking up some lovely looking onions in a shop, getting home and make a meal only to discover that the onions are unripe or rotten.

I bought some gorgeous looking Spanish onions in Lidl a few weeks back and dreamt of the tasty dishes I would put them in - sliced my first one up and it was greener than a green martian on the inside. I was devastated. Still haven't recovered.

I think the posters of this forum owe you an apology DEATH. Never belittle a man's onions people!