House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

Femtocell

My ancient S2 has it built in (signalboost) and it works brilliantly on any Wi-Fi (not just at home). I can't understand why more phones don't have it.

My S2 is still going strong also. Really like it. I can see myself only replacing if/when I need more memory or when it dies.

I'd like one, but O2 have refused to sell me one. Stating that only certain corporate customers can purchase one.

I'll be looking to find a network provider that can offer such a device when I get to the end of my current contract.

I'd like one, but O2 have refused to sell me one. Stating that only certain corporate customers can purchase one.

I'll be looking to find a network provider that can offer such a device when I get to the end of my current contract.

EE made them available to the general public in January, we've had ours for a month. Pricing varies on what signal strength you receive in your location, we paid £26 as we are in a low signal area, I think maximum price is about £100. If you're in a really bad signal area they give them away free.

Actually it will cause your cell phone to reduce it's transmit power, so it is probably a good thing to have.

Great,but now he has a cell tower right in the middle of his house, frying his brain 24/7...

Apart from that Femtocells are the biggest con ever, you pay the phone company and they use your internet bandwidth as uplink.

That's like paying a bakery for them to use your oven to make bread... :rolleyes:

Great,but now he has a cell tower right in the middle of his house, frying his brain 24/7...

Apart from that Femtocells are the biggest con ever, you pay the phone company and they use your internet bandwidth as uplink.

That's like paying a bakery for them to use your oven to make bread... :rolleyes:

Bird brained comments from The Eagle :rolleyes:.

As a previous poster said, radiation levels are reduced as all mobiles in the house reduce their transmit power and the Femtocell is a very low output device.

Unless you're using the phone a lot, bandwidth used is low and many have unlimited bandwidth anyway, in our case with the same company.

In case it's of interest:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/02/11-year-mthr-study-finds-danger-wireless-mobile-phone-radiation.html

Our village has coverage from all the major providers, but most of the properties are borderline for most networks thanks to the topography of the land and the rural area which has stone-built cottages which wireless signals struggle to penetrate.

Just about everyone can get something but the Femtocell option has proven useful for some, especially those in the more outlying areas and those whose house faces the wrong way and is in a dip, etc.

Going full VOIP might be an option for some - e.g. something like Sipgate - about £6 for 1000 minutes to landlines (or used to be)

e.g. we have shite quality phone lines, no cable, so no fixed line broadband there, just slow ADSL (1.5/1 down/up), but can get fairly rapid (18/2 down/up) 3G and pretty quick 4G (25/20 down/up) and so Skype video is actually clearer and better than mobile (or even landline) phone calls.