House Price Crash Forum
1929crash

Ukip Is The Most Working Class Dominated Party

Forget David Cameron’s unpopularity among grassroots Tories; forget the furore over EU migrants; forget single-issue concerns over the EU or the charisma of Farage.

To truly understand Ukip’s appeal you need to go much deeper…

That Ukip’s core voters are middle-class Tories animated by the single-issue of Europe is the biggest myth in Westminster. In fact, Ukip is the most working-class-dominated party since Michael Foot’s Labour in 1983. They struggle financially, worry about the future, and loathe the political class, not just Cameron and the Conservatives.

Don’t think of Ukip as just a party; think of them as a symptom of far deeper social and value divisions in Britain. Farage is winning over working-class, white male voters because they feel left behind by Britain’s rapid economic and social transformation and left out of our political conversation; struggling people who feel like strangers in a society whose ruling elites do not talk like them or value the things which matter to them…

These voters are not backing Ukip because of their economic concerns; they are backing the party because they see Farage as representing an identity and set of values they cherish but do not see expressed anywhere else. These voters have been left behind not just by wider trends, but the rise to dominance of a university-educated, professional middle-class elite whose priorities and outlook now define the mainstream.

http://www.markpack.org.uk/48668/ukip-is-the-most-working-class-dominated-party-since-michael-foots-labour-in-1983/

That would mean UKIP support is coming from the dispossessed, the working class that are left out, traditional labour voters not conservative voters, globalisation is their main enemy the new economic paradigm is decreasing the standard of living that was promised them.

I'm not sure how relevant it is to define working class as equivalent to traditional labour voters. Northern, urban, industrial and ex-industrial working class have traditionally voted labour. Southern, rural, agricultural and tradesman working class have traditionally voted conservative.

I see the flourishing of UKIP where the conservatives no longer speak for the southern, rural working class to be in many ways analogous to the success gained in northern, urban working class communities by parties like Liberty and the BNP, who speak to those similarly forgotten by the modern Labour party.

It's a crying shame that the justifiable disillusionment with the establishment has been channelled into a party that promotes the interests of the same establishment.

We are in real need of a change, and what do we get? Yet another Tory party.

We already have three.

Still my enemies enemy and all that.

That would mean UKIP support is coming from the dispossessed, the working class that are left out, traditional labour voters not conservative voters, globalisation is their main enemy the new economic paradigm is decreasing the standard of living that was promised them.

Think it's deeper than that. Successful Thatchers children circa 50 see nothing that resonates in the lily livered, professional political in bred elite. In fact we actively loathe them especially as our only natural party of choice the Tories are unrecognisable from the party we voted for in the 80's and 90's.

Isn't UKIP's vote actually more elderly than anything. I saw one recent poll where they were only 2% behind Labour amongst over 65s.

And when it comes to low turnout elections like the Europeans - its pensioners who vote!

Very odd that young people like to vote for the 3 main established parties - who serve their interests so badly in terms of immigration, low wages and housing. But we are all very pc and progressive when we are young!

It's a crying shame that the justifiable disillusionment with the establishment has been channelled into a party that promotes the interests of the same establishment.

We are in real need of a change, and what do we get? Yet another Tory party.

We already have three.

Still my enemies enemy and all that.

+1

I didn't think the mods would move this off the main forum because they seem to be UKIP supporters. :(

Maybe they don't think of themselves as working class. :lol:

Think it's deeper than that. Successful Thatchers children circa 50 see nothing that resonates in the lily livered, professional political in bred elite. In fact we actively loathe them especially as our only natural party of choice the Tories are unrecognisable from the party we voted for in the 80's and 90's.

I was never really a Tory but this rings very true. I could identify with a reasonable proportion of Thatcher's cabinet even if I didn't much like them. Cameron, Miliband, Clegg and the rest might as well be a different species for all I have in common with them.

I agree with this and in fact would go as far as banning Old Etonians from political office - surely we could ever have another old Etonian Prime Minister again?

(Oopps forgot Boris......)

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

Isn't UKIP's vote actually more elderly than anything. I saw one recent poll where they were only 2% behind Labour amongst over 65s.

And when it comes to low turnout elections like the Europeans - its pensioners who vote!

Very odd that young people like to vote for the 3 main established parties - who serve their interests so badly in terms of immigration, low wages and housing. But we are all very pc and progressive when we are young!

Yes, i suspect the authors have used 'working class' and 'dont have a degree' interchangeably.

Of course, not that many in the over 65 group have degrees, but id dispute they are working class.

I don't get that - how does the Tory party differ in principle from the earlier generation?

Same policies on housing and banking (apart from BoE independence), Europe and globalisation.

UKIP seems the same on housing and banking, and on Europe and globalisation when it comes to free movement of capital.

So they're baby boomer dominated then? Stats seem to confirm this http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/03/05/analysis-ukip-voters/

If you think a baby boomer dominated party will serve the interests of the young then forget about it.

Farage is an ex-city broker he will keep his mates in the city happy, his party depends on the votes of the baby boomers (and he is a tail-end baby boomer himself) he will keep them happy. Any crumbs thrown to the young will really be done so in order to keep those two groups happy.

If UKIP got into power 1million* europeans might well leave but chances are the 1million or so Brits living/working in the EU will have to return, a lot of whom are 50+. Without the Poles etc there won't be enough workers to share the burden of supporting an ageing population, so the young will probably have to work on low wages (or higher wages plus higher tax rates) until they are in there 70's. Housing won't get any better, if anything it might get worse in order to appease the baby boomer voter who they absolutely depend on.

The young aren't that stupid, they don't vote because they realise there is little point in doing so...

* I wonder how many have lived here for 5 years and can thus become British citizens or have a British wife or husband (you know like Farage's German missus) and only need 3 years?

So they're baby boomer dominated then? Stats seem to confirm this http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/03/05/analysis-ukip-voters/

If you think a baby boomer dominated party will serve the interests of the young then forget about it.

Farage is an ex-city broker he will keep his mates in the city happy, his party depends on the votes of the baby boomers (and he is a tail-end baby boomer himself) he will keep them happy. Any crumbs thrown to the young will really be done so in order to keep those two groups happy.

If UKIP got into power 1million* europeans might well leave but chances are the 1million or so Brits living/working in the EU will have to return, a lot of whom are 50+. Without the Poles etc there won't be enough workers to share the burden of supporting an ageing population, so the young will probably have to work on low wages (or higher wages plus higher tax rates) until they are in there 70's. Housing won't get any better, if anything it might get worse in order to appease the baby boomer voter who they absolutely depend on.

The young aren't that stupid, they don't vote because they realise there is little point in doing so...

* I wonder how many have lived here for 5 years and can thus become British citizens or have a British wife or husband (you know like Farage's German missus) and only need 3 years?

As far as I can see, the surge in support for Farage is driven by a detestation of the three main parties. In particular, the protest vote that used to go to the Liberal Democrats almost entirely goes to UKIP now.

If young people did vote in greater numbers, even if only for fringe parties, then it may be that the mainstream parties would pay more attention to them, realising that their votes, like those of the baby boomers, were up for grabs,