House Price Crash Forum

Beer Bubble: How Price Of A Pint Has Risen Twenty-Fold Over Four Decades

HOLA441

Telegraph 7/3/14

'If the cost of a house seems to have gone through the metaphorical roof over the past 40 years, it is not the only commodity to have been fizzing. The price of beer has risen even more dramatically. A pint of lager has gone up 20-fold, or by 1,948 per cent, since 1973. The average detached house, by comparison, went from £16,980 to £305,391, a relatively modest 1,699 per cent rise.

Economists warned on Thursday that a growing portion of take-home pay is being devoured by basic spending in shops, pubs and at the petrol pump and the situation is worsening as a result of slow wage growth in the wake of the financial crisis.

Ashish Misra of Lloyds Bank Private Banking, which conducted the study, said that in another 40 years, an individual would need £3 million to enjoy the same lifestyle as a millionaire today.

“There is no doubt that the value of money has fallen dramatically since 1973,” he said.

“It is likely to be reduced significantly further over the next 40 years even if inflation is kept firmly under control.”

The research, using data provided by the Office for National Statistics, found that draught lager had risen from 14p a pint in 1973 to £2.87 last year. Petrol prices were 17 times as high, with the price of a litre of diesel growing to around £1.41, from 8p in 1973.

An average detached house now costs 18 times as much as it did in the same year. By comparison, the average weekly wage has risen a a little under fifteen-fold in four decades, from £42 to £620.

On a more positive note, the cost of most foods, including milk, apples, bread, butter and carrots has risen more slowly than the average wage.

Even so, the value of the pound has shrunk overall so much that £9.48 in 1973 would have the same spending power as £100 today. In other words, the value of £1 has fallen by 91 per cent.

Looking ahead, Lloyds suggested that anyone shopping in 2053 will need to spend £311 to buy goods that would cost £100 today.

It based its estimates on an annual rise of 2.8 per cent in the retail prices index (RPI). This is consistent with the Government’s target for inflation.

By decade, retail prices grew most rapidly between 1973 and 1983, at an annual average rate of 13.6pc. The lowest inflation was between 1993 and 2003, Lloyds said, at 2.6 per cent annually. In the decade to 2013, annual inflation averaged 3.3 per cent.'

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Or you can brew your own for less than 50p a pint.

I'm off to do so now in fact.

I've just started. Only 2 extract brews down so far (one American IPA w. Cascade and a blonde ale with Citra and Nelson Sauvin) but well and truly have the bug. Have ingredients for a couple more but finding time to brew around a 3 month and a 2 year old is tricky.

Still nice to go down the pub occasionally though.

HOLA4410

Or you can brew your own for less than 50p a pint.

I'm off to do so now in fact.

I recommend the following Brew Dog Kits:

Evil Dog American Double IPA 4.7 Kg Beer Kit 7.2%

evil-dog-american-double-ipa-4.7-kg-beer-kit-3358-p.jpg

Hammer of Thor Special Gravity Lager 4.0 Kg Beer Kit 6.0%

hammer-of-thor-special-gravity-lager-4.0-kg-beer-kit-2794-p.jpg

In a few of weeks and you have excellent carbonated bottle conditioned beer, works out at 60p per pint. If you want to socialize whilst drinking then either meetup with friends or use a webcam. Not much need for pubs these days!

HOLA4411

I recommend the following Brew Dog Kits:

Evil Dog American Double IPA 4.7 Kg Beer Kit 7.2%

evil-dog-american-double-ipa-4.7-kg-beer-kit-3358-p.jpg

Hammer of Thor Special Gravity Lager 4.0 Kg Beer Kit 6.0%

hammer-of-thor-special-gravity-lager-4.0-kg-beer-kit-2794-p.jpg

In a few of weeks and you have excellent carbonated bottle conditioned beer, works out at 60p per pint. If you want to socialize whilst drinking then either meetup with friends or use a webcam. Not much need for pubs these days!

I'd been tempted by that Evil Dog one and fancy doing a couple of kits just for ease/lack of time versus boiling. Have heard good things about it.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

iirc, what supermarkets there were in 1973 didn't sell booze. You either bought bottles of beer from the local pub or relied on 'Davenports...Beer at home' which came round about once a week.

For homebrewed beer, it makes a huge difference in quality if you empty the beerkit (and sugar) into 2 litres of water, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Needs a BIG pan though.

Easiest these days is to make vodka. Just under £400 for a T500 still and shop strength spirit will costs you less than £1.50 a litre including leccy.

HOLA4419

How much did a pint cost from a shop/supermarket then and now? can buy for around 50-75p a pint nowadays. the big increase is paying for the premises/rates/charges/wages.

Sounds like the kind of thing politicians say to justify minimum pricing referring to the basic lines that actually don't contain any alcohol (well 1%) - it is simply not the case. The 4-can packs have been increasing in price over recent times (use mysupermarket.co.uk for price comparisons) typically around £1 a 440ml can now. Deals* are less common now and pack sizes have decreased.

The other significant cost increase will be down to tax - I believe it's a third of the cost.

*That said, Morrisons have an offer on lager - 18 Stella for £10, if you like that sort of thing. They've lowered the strength so it's not as nice as it was.

Edited by tinker

HOLA4420

May l am incorrect, but in the early 70's a decent 3 bed semi with big garden in good area was low single digit k. i.e. 4 grand. Now that house is 230k so that's 50x anyones money.

I think the basic premise of this article is shite, no?

HOLA4421

For homebrewed beer, it makes a huge difference in quality if you empty the beerkit (and sugar) into 2 litres of water, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Needs a BIG pan though.

I'm surprised by that, I think you'd end up boiling off a lot of the hop aroma, which would adversely affect the final product.

HOLA4422

How much did a pint cost from a shop/supermarket then and now? can buy for around 50-75p a pint nowadays. the big increase is paying for the premises/rates/charges/wages.

You have to compare like with like as well. Beer isn't all the same. There is high and low quality.

HOLA4423

1978ish Trivia.

How much did Ford Prefect pay the Landlord, for 6 pints of bitter?

A) Under £5

B ) Under £10

C) Under £15

D) Under £20

The answer is 10:50 minutes in

Edited by 200p

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

iirc, what supermarkets there were in 1973 didn't sell booze. You either bought bottles of beer from the local pub or relied on 'Davenports...Beer at home' which came round about once a week.

Easiest these days is to make vodka. Just under £400 for a T500 still and shop strength spirit will costs you less than £1.50 a litre including leccy.

The kits I recommended earlier need no added sugar, they use 100% malt extract. The lager kit tastes very much like Bangler that you get in the Indian.