House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Texas Anyone?

http://www.coldwellbanker.com/servlet/Prop...5&page=property

The above is in a pretty decent part of TX--weather can get a bit rough at times and summers are like the hottest part of Spain but you can afford a decent lifestyle on a very average income.

Even with a HPC of 30% anything decent in this country is going to be overpriced. I am seriously thinking about emigrating (again!). The above is typical of what you can find in MOST States in the US (forget California and some East Coast locations where prices are about as bad as they are in the WEst Midlands).

Guest muttley

This is why I don't believe the Americans have an imminent problem with their housing market.Yes,they have had big increases,but property has always been cheap.3,555sqft is very big.If that house came up for sale near me it would go on the market at £1 Million plus.I would guess that would be the same if it came up for sale near YOU.

This is why I don't believe the Americans have an imminent problem with their housing market.Yes,they have had big increases,but property has always been cheap.3,555sqft is very big.If that house came up for sale near me it would go on the market at £1 Million plus.I would guess that would be the same if it came up for sale near YOU.

I regularly look at a couple of US housing sites, and they have staggering differences between regions. California and the North-East are expensive, but Texas and other mid-western states are very cheap by UK (or even my Australian) standards.

Keep in mind also that Texas has very high property taxes. Around 3% of property value per year, I believe. :o

I regularly look at a couple of US housing sites, and they have staggering differences between regions. California and the North-East are expensive, but Texas and other mid-western states are very cheap by UK (or even my Australian) standards.

Keep in mind also that Texas has very high property taxes. Around 3% of property value per year, I believe. :o

It also has a few other problems. Here's how the state ranked when Bush gave up his job of running the state to run the country:

1st in Children without Health Insurance %...1st in Toxic Air Releases...1st in Smog Days (Houston)...1st in poorest counties...3rd in Hunger %...5th in Highest Teen Birth Rate...45th in Mothers Receiving Pre-Natal Care...46th in Public Libraries and Branches...46th in High School Completion Rate...46th in Water Resources Protection...47th in Delivery of Social Services...48th in Literacy...48th in Per Capita Funding for Public Health...48 in Best Place to Raise Children (29th before Bush)...48th in Spending for Parks and Recreation...48th in Spending for the Arts...49th in Spending for the Environment...50th in Teachers' Salaries plus Benefits...

Only one accredited child-care center exists for every 2,637 children. A fourth of children still are not immunized by age 2. --Texas Freedom NetworK

:o

It also has a few other problems. Here's how the state ranked when Bush gave up his job of running the state to run the country:

1st in Children without Health Insurance %...1st in Toxic Air Releases...1st in Smog Days (Houston)...1st in poorest counties...3rd in Hunger %...5th in Highest Teen Birth Rate...45th in Mothers Receiving Pre-Natal Care...46th in Public Libraries and Branches...46th in High School Completion Rate...46th in Water Resources Protection...47th in Delivery of Social Services...48th in Literacy...48th in Per Capita Funding for Public Health...48 in Best Place to Raise Children (29th before Bush)...48th in Spending for Parks and Recreation...48th in Spending for the Arts...49th in Spending for the Environment...50th in Teachers' Salaries plus Benefits...

Only one accredited child-care center exists for every 2,637 children. A fourth of children still are not immunized by age 2. --Texas Freedom NetworK

:o

Some of the numbers may have something to do with population. TX is number 2 behind California for population. Also, TX has a very high migrant worker population which may account for some of the poverty and hunger problems. TX is thought to be the first state in the US to have a non-white majority.

The best states to live in are apparently Colorado, Minnesota, Arizona and Washington. Cold, very cold, very hot and very wet--in that order. The hurricane cycles are just getting started in the Caribbean so anyone who bought in Florida recently are in for some windy days over the next few decades.

To be fair, its not comparing like with like.

MAny US wooden houses are flimsy by European standards. Being more vulnerable to fire and have higher maintenance.

True to an extent. However, in TX the construction tends to include a brick outer skin--drywall inner. Not sure how that affects durability. Roof tiles are soft materials and get wiped out every time there is a hail storm (hail is often grapefruit sized in TX). California has the flimsiest houses with most made with stucco over a woodframe. The weather conditions seem to dictate the materials used. Lack of dampness in most of the US obviates the need for a breeze-block inner skin.