House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
swissy_fit

Building A House From Shipping Containers.

Is this container living idea only possible to do cheaply if you try to get round the planning laws by crafty means? E.g. burying it on crude rollers so that you can claim it is 'temporary' and 'moveable' etc, having no plumbed facilities etc?

Is any structure for permanent residence caught up in the same planning restrictions, no matter what it is made from?

I would say yes to most if not all the above ,it`s the land with planning that cost the real money (as you already know) but from another point of view you can pick up a 40 by 9 foot container for around 2K ,times that by four and you have a 133 square meter shell for not much more than 10K ,what would the equivalent in blocks/brick be including labour

So the money saved on the construction could some what offset the cost of the land

I would say yes to most if not all the above ,it`s the land with planning that cost the real money (as you already know) but from another point of view you can pick up a 40 by 9 foot container for around 2K ,times that by four and you have a 133 square meter shell for not much more than 10K ,what would the equivalent in blocks/brick be including labour

So the money saved on the construction could some what offset the cost of the land

+1

brand new 20ft containers start at £1700, 40 ft @ £3k. so perhaps its not worth buying used, unless on a tight budget

new 40's

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=new+40+foot+container&_sop=15&LH_ItemCondition=1000&_osacat=148462&_from=R40&LH_PrefLoc=1&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.X+40+foot+container&_nkw=+40+foot+container&_sacat=148462

For used, my advice was to go to your nearest big docks ie Liverpool. Nearby , there will be many sellers of containers, so start haggling

Shipping containers are nasty, even worse than static caravans. A living space that small needs to be a breathable construction and well heated, air conditioned or ventillated to prevent the condensation from breathing, washing, cooking et c. causing mould and damp. Maybe as a temporary shelter, but be prepared for the damp. Also, there's are really odd 'vibe' to staying in a steel box. Try spending the night in one. I believe there are also serious safety concerns about chemicals released long term by sprayed foam insulation, making it unsuitable for use in a living environments.

We have a long history of affordable and sustainable house building in this country, but just as planning denies access to land, so do building regs prevent decent building. Until the postwar building boom, most buildings were intended for many generations of use and also genuinely recycleable. How many of today's new builds will still be usable in 60, 80, 100 years time, and what percentage of the building materials could be profitably reused ? These are the type of issues we should be able to concentrate on, instead of being forced to consider such unsuitable shelters.

Shipping containers are nasty, even worse than static caravans. A living space that small needs to be a breathable construction and well heated, air conditioned or ventillated to prevent the condensation from breathing, washing, cooking et c. causing mould and damp. Maybe as a temporary shelter, but be prepared for the damp. Also, there's are really odd 'vibe' to staying in a steel box. Try spending the night in one. I believe there are also serious safety concerns about chemicals released long term by sprayed foam insulation, making it unsuitable for use in a living environments.

We have a long history of affordable and sustainable house building in this country, but just as planning denies access to land, so do building regs prevent decent building. Until the postwar building boom, most buildings were intended for many generations of use and also genuinely recycleable. How many of today's new builds will still be usable in 60, 80, 100 years time, and what percentage of the building materials could be profitably reused ? These are the type of issues we should be able to concentrate on, instead of being forced to consider such unsuitable shelters.

You need to do a bit of research https://www.google.c...iw=1280&bih=653 I find the one below totally unsuitable :huh:

6a00d8341c67ce53ef0115708966db970c-500wi.png

Edited by long time lurking

You need to do a bit of research

I own a shipping container and a steel container type site office, which serve their purposes, but after best part of a decade of using them, am all to familiar with the causes and effects of damp and insulation problems. I maintain that regardless of stylish alteration, steel boxes are fundamentally unsuitable for living in.

I own a shipping container and a steel container type site office, which serve their purposes, but after best part of a decade of using them, am all to familiar with the causes and effects of damp and insulation problems. I maintain that regardless of stylish alteration, steel boxes are fundamentally unsuitable for living in.

Your site office will have very little insulation and be built to a very low standard as its designed for temporary accommodation and not as a home i use to convert them as my job 15 year ago ,few sheets of 1/8 ply and a bit of rock wool is all you get plus a couple of cheap single glazed windows

So what you are saying is steel is sub standard? so what was the QE2 made of ?

Steel is a good material for shipping containers because it is strong and rigid without being too brittle. Shipping containers can contain heavy things and be lifted up with cranes and ride around on lorries without breaking because they are made from steel. These qualities are only really useful for types accomodation like site offices which have to be easy to move ahead of characteristics such as longeveity and efficient insulation.

For a permanent home, I would go for building materials with thermal mass that insulate well and can maintain consistent interior temperatures. The steel of a shipping container is all thermal bridge, and although can be insulated with some degree of success, is unlikely to be as satifactory as more conventionally built shelter. For a cut price alternative, I would look toward rammed earth / earth ship / straw bale / adobe type constructions. It's all immaterial anyway because of the planning system and the cost of residential land.

Your site office will have very little insulation and be built to a very low standard as its designed for temporary accommodation and not as a home i use to convert them as my job 15 year ago ,few sheets of 1/8 ply and a bit of rock wool is all you get plus a couple of cheap single glazed windows

So what you are saying is steel is sub standard? so what was the QE2 made of ?

So lots of other materials/time/converting it, to make it liveable. Biggest issue people are not allowed to build on cheap land.

My solution would be to buy 10+ acres of land between 10+ like minded people and build cob houses out of the ground on site, each working on each others to build around the year/s. very cheap costs, just your labour input.

So lots of other materials/time/converting it, to make it liveable. Biggest issue people are not allowed to build on cheap land.

My solution would be to buy 10+ acres of land between 10+ like minded people and build cob houses out of the ground on site, each working on each others to build around the year/s. very cheap costs, just your labour input.

The apparently successful project that has done this, is the eco village of http://www.Lammas.org.uk .

I visited last month (open sat. only for 2 tours @£4) beautiful spot in West Wales & nice genuine people.

Pembrokeshire changed planning law to allow it, This great article ,( I've now put in sig) explains a lot. Most likely chance in Wales.

How To Get Planning Permission on Non-Development Land (I recommend buying book mentioned)

http://www.permaculture.co.uk/articles/how-get-planning-permission-non-development-land

pics

http://www.selfbuild-central.co.uk/first-ideas/examples/lammas-eco-village/

I liked the end result of this container house in Derry but part of me thinks Why?

He's spent over £100 a sq foot. You'll get a really well finished house for that price.

Also he'll find it impossible to ever get a mortgage on this.

I liked the end result of this container house in Derry but part of me thinks Why?

He's spent over £100 a sq foot. You'll get a really well finished house for that price.

Also he'll find it impossible to ever get a mortgage on this.

Didn't he spend 30K on a kitchen and 16K on a bath tub ? could have built the same place with cheaper fittings/and fixtures for less than 70K and it would still have been impressive and quick

Cheers, that software looks good.

Very good instructional vids from 20 yrs of experience on that site as well.

http://www.containerhome.info/side-wall-modifications.html

Shipping containers transform into emergency housing for the homeless in Ealing London

http://www.curbed.com/2017/4/27/15443264/shipping-containers-homes-design-ideas-homeless

Nimbyish comment 

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/west-london-news/ealing-resident-horrified-find-huge-12450738

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship