House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Poor 'live Like Animals' Says Boris's Privately Educated Sister After Going On 'poverty Safari'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/poor-live-like-animals-says-boriss-privately-educated-sister-after-going-on-poverty-safari-9170440.html

Privately schooled, Oxford educated and a former editor of arguably the world's poshest magazine The Lady, it's perhaps unsurprising that Rachel Johnson rarely mixes with ordinary Proles.

That all changed, however, when as part of a new documentary from the BBC, Ms Johnson, who is the sister of London Mayor Boris Johnson, joined a family in Deptford, south-east London, where the budget for food was little more than a £1 a day.

Chastened by the experience Ms Johnson said it had left her feeling guilty about how much money she wasted and that she would now think twice about spending £3 for a 'flat white' coffee when that money could feed a family for a day.

The experience changed her initial view that poor people spent all their money on cigarettes, television and alcohol. “The poor people you see on the box are all fat. How, in God’s name, can you be overweight and hungry? Now I know.”

Ms Johnson told the Radio Times: “There’s this terrible sense of human waste. They’re existing, rather than living, like battery hens. Apart from the telly and the cigarettes, they are living like animals.

“I realised, with a terrible thud, how much money I’ve wasted. I can’t pay £3 for a flat white coffee without thinking: ‘That’s a day’s food for a poor family’,” she said.

Ms Johnson also claimed her friends were now envious of her as many of them had never encountered poor people. "Bizarrely, I think there’s a lot of envy. ‘Lucky old Rachel, she went on poverty safari!’ An experience they can never have, even with all the money they’ve got,” she said.

And the rich get to make the laws for people they never interact with. Marvellous.

Perhaps the rich could volunteer in soup kitchens or for the Salvation Army and meet proles all the time?

And the rich get to make the laws for people they never interact with. Marvellous.

Perhaps the rich could volunteer in soup kitchens or for the Salvation Army and meet proles all the time?

I'm sure that at least part of the post-was consensus came from the fact that there had been a degree of social mixing in WWII. So there was at least a bit of understanding or empathy.

Nowadays.. I doubt that any of the government even understand the concept of financial insecurity, or any form of insecurity, and the debilitating effect it has.

A new tourism opportunity for London...'poverty safaris'.

I can see the advertising now "money can't buy poverty but it can buy the opportunity to see it"

The poor need to be culled like badgers. I'm sure many of them carry TB.

Perhaps the rich could hunt them.

The poor need to be culled like badgers. I'm sure many of them carry TB.

Perhaps the rich could hunt them.

Child hunts featured in Love In A Cold Climate, and apparently Lord Childhunter ('Abroad is unutterably bloody and foreigners are fiends' ) was not so loosely based on the Mitford sisters' father. He only hunted his own kids, though.

Will she do anything about it though? Apart from gain publicity & drink less £3.00 coffee?

Should have gauged her reaction to the statement 'In order to have a welfare state, the rich have to pony up'.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/poor-live-like-animals-says-boriss-privately-educated-sister-after-going-on-poverty-safari-9170440.html

Nasty, patronising, extra-ordinarily ugly, over-priviliged woman who looks like Boris wearing earrings. It really is time that we culled this loathsome class who squat at the pinnacle of our society like dyspeptic and intellectually challenged Jabba the Huts for no other reason than the fact that their parents bought them an excellent education and daddy's friends gave them a job. How can we build a decent, meritocratic and fair society whilst trash like this woman (and her equally revolting brother) glide into positions of power. wealth and influence on the back of the old school tie?

People tell me that I'm slightly odd...

itsarandomworld

I wish they'd stop lumping people together 'The Poor' 'The Rich' etc. I spend about 20% of my income on food (mostly cheese, beans, spuds & the like) am I in food poverty? I neither know nor care.

Sending someone like her into a situation where she hasn't got a clue what's going on is pointless.

October 2013:

But the problem remains: those in the political and media elites, as currently configured, are as ignorant as I am about life on the edge, about real hunger, and about desperate want. Because most of those in the Westminster village and commentariat are basically like me – white, middle-class, privately-educated; people who’ve had the best of everything, from university education to property prices.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/columnists/article-2467604/RACHEL-JOHNSON-Johnson-PM--But-think.html#ixzz2vB80xX4V

Seems she's forgotton her gritty upbringing though:

I was cold and hungry all the time: rations were so short and disgusting that I would huddle under my pink candlewick bedspread, sucking on a toothpaste tube to curb hunger pangs. I once found a live maggot wriggling in my shepherd’s pie, and showed the headmaster, who advised me to eat it (indeed, the maggot was probably the only nutrient served that lunchtime).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/8494933/Rachel-Johnson-Boarding-school-made-me.html

Edited by The Knimbies who say no

Nasty, patronising, extra-ordinarily ugly, over-priviliged woman who looks like Boris wearing earrings. It really is time that we culled this loathsome class who squat at the pinnacle of our society like dyspeptic and intellectually challenged Jabba the Huts for no other reason than the fact that their parents bought them an excellent education and daddy's friends gave them a job. How can we build a decent, meritocratic and fair society whilst trash like this woman (and her equally revolting brother) glide into positions of power. wealth and influence on the back of the old school tie?

People tell me that I'm slightly odd...

itsarandomworld

It would happen quite easily if the sheeple woke up and raised their game a bit (stop borrowing, stop watching TV would be a start) The influence they (Eton/Posh school mob) have is not binding, people can think and act for themselves if they choose, we are not in N. Korea. Somebody must have voted for Boris at some point? Money can`t buy classic good looks unfortunately, and I am struggling to think of a REALLY good looking female socialite/rich person (not that I know many)?

October 2013:

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2vB80xX4V

Seems she's forgotton her gritty upbringing though:

http://www.telegraph...ol-made-me.html

That article looks interesting, will give it a read later. She looks much better in that photo. Maybe her and Boris just look a certain way on camera, but much more attractive in the flesh? Some actors who look good on camera don`t look so appealing in the flesh for example?

http://www.independe...ri-9170440.html

In addition to having 'schooled' themselves on the ways of the poor any politician who is prepared to send our troops into a war zone should either have served in a war zone him/her self or let their children serve in the forces.

The Royals can do it so there is no excuse!!

What she doesn't seem to understand is that if you just heap more jam on the top (in the City and Mayfair, Belgravia and Kensington) then the jam will spread out over all of the ryvita and everyone will have more jam.

If only she'd gone to Eton, silly girl.

I wish they'd stop lumping people together 'The Poor' 'The Rich' etc. I spend about 20% of my income on food (mostly cheese, beans, spuds & the like) am I in food poverty? I neither know nor care.

Sending someone like her into a situation where she hasn't got a clue what's going on is pointless.

To be fair the point is not to send her, but to send her peers and anybody who relates to her. And indeed the complete opposite.

Just rename Deptford to Greenwich and they will all be pwoperdee millionaires. Problem solved Rodders.

How do these people get jobs in the media and BBC etc. Need I ask.

http://www.independe...ri-9170440.html

Howe many of the 99%-ers actually agreed to be governed by the present system ?

I think I'll opt of of this "democracy" and move to Scotland if they manage to escape.

The more things change the more they stay the same ...

"The train bore me away, through the monstrous scenery of slag-heaps, chimneys, piled scrap-iron, foul canals, paths of cindery mud criss-crossed by the prints of clogs. This was March, but the weather had been horribly cold and everywhere there were mounds of blackened snow. As we moved slowly through the outskirts of the town we passed row after row of little grey slum houses running at right angles to the embankment. At the back of one of the houses a young woman was kneeling on the stones, poking a stick up the leaden waste-pipe which ran from the sink inside and which I suppose was blocked. I had time to see everything about her—her sacking apron, her clumsy clogs, her arms reddened by the cold. She looked up as the train passed, and I was almost near enough to catch her eye. She had a round pale face, the usual exhausted face of the slum girl who is twenty-five and looks forty, thanks to miscarriages and drudgery; and it wore, for the second in which I saw it, the most desolate, hopeless expression I have ever-seen. It struck me then that we are mistaken when we say that 'It isn't the same for them as it would be for us,' and that people bred in the slums can imagine nothing but the slums. For what I saw in her face was not the ignorant suffering of an animal. She knew well enough what was happening to her—understood as well as I did how dreadful a destiny it was to be kneeling there in the bitter cold, on the slimy stones of a slum backyard, poking a stick up a foul drain-pipe."

George Orwell, The Road to Wigan Pier

Edited by Compukit UK101

Howe many of the 99%-ers actually agreed to be governed by the present system ?

I think I'll opt of of this "democracy" and move to Scotland if they manage to escape.

Same system comrade . Why do you think the union has held for so long. Google Marquess of Bute to start with.

Edited by Greg Bowman

What she doesn't seem to understand is that if you just heap more jam on the top (in the City and Mayfair, Belgravia and Kensington) then the jam will spread out over all of the ryvita and everyone will have more jam.

If only she'd gone to Eton, silly girl.

And he dreams of being PM so he can heap more jam on jam. Depending on the jam and temp all you end up is with a big mass of jam.

I'm shocked no one has tried this on youtube.