House Price Crash Forum
phead

What Kind Of Rubbish Are We Building

I've always said I don't object to developments, I object to bad developments, and the one I was reading today takes the biscuit. This was one of the announced sites where the PM said that government land would be put into use, so they have now full planning for 357 houses(for part 1), just a few problems.

1. The only entrance to the site is into a industrial estate.

2. The land borders a gypsy site that gets raided by police every week.

3. The buncefield oil depot, or what remains of it is 200 metres away. Dig a hole and you could set fire to the ground so much petrol leaked away.

and the best bit, the flats, sorry luxury apartments on the entrance of the site have a direct view from the bedroom windows onto this, a 24*7 distribution warehouse:

tct.jpg

What kind of rubbish are we building in the name of approving everything that comes up? No prizes for guessing it's Barratt Homes, I wouldn't wish living there on my worst enemy.

EDIT, I cannot see the picture at work so it must be blocked, google link here Nice HGVs

Edited by phead

I've always said I don't object to developments, I object to bad developments, and the one I was reading today takes the biscuit. This was one of the announced sites where the PM said that government land would be put into use, so they have now full planning for 357 houses(for part 1), just a few problems.

3. The buncefield oil depot, or what remains of it is 200 metres away. Dig a hole and you could set fire to the ground so much petrol leaked away.

and the best bit, the flats, sorry luxury apartments on the entrance of the site have a direct view from the bedroom windows onto this, a 24*7 distribution warehouse:

tct.jpg

What kind of rubbish are we building in the name of approving everything that comes up? No prizes for guessing it's Barratt Homes, I wouldn't wish living there on my worst enemy.

The realities of using brownfield land. Any person who says new homes should only go on brownfield should be asked if they'd sign on the line themselves for a place there. Doubtful.

Sites won't all be like this, but the sites with no industry left might attract me and my crew to say "No! No! No! You're not spoiling the post-industrial landscape with some out of character families! I walk my dogs there! Barn Owls! Traffic! Monocultural Agrirentierism! Damage to the horizon! No! No! No!"

Well, allegedly the 'green belt' has to be preserved so the only option is to build on brownfield sites like this one... :rolleyes:

A 'lorry spotter' might enjoy living there. :D

Will be interested if these places will sell easily or with that ugly view, whether a Housing Association will snap them up at a discount?

Near me they are developing THIS

It's an old limestone quarry

THESE HOUSES are going to be in a pit.

The quarry walls are vertical, probably 60m high and some, and bare stone.

No soil depth, no views, probably plenty of shade.

ideal for hard working families

tct.jpg

So what you mean is they are going to be building across the road from what is the GIST Warehouse aka technically a greenfield site as its a field where crops are grown, but take your point who is going to want to live next to the areas biggest industrial estates, so you will be getting beep beep (reversing warning alarms) 24/7, also isn't that the place where they do McDonalds buns (actually bake them on site before shipping, so you get the smell, which actually isn't pleasant!).

I used to work on the Maylands Industrial Estate (or should it be Business Park? Don't know why its all Warehouses now!) and spent 18 months on Woodhall Farm.

Nothing unusual they built a whole estate in a Quarry in Mansfield

Nothing unusual they built a whole estate in a Quarry in Mansfield

This is an estate too

but what's worse, it's 'down south'

There is another example estate

On the new 60 home Taylor Wimpey estate in my 'village' - where some properties boast 5 bedrooms (OK two are in the attic), potentially sleeping 9 with a 16m2 living room (a snip at a mere £450k) - you can either have a garage (5 beds) or one allocated parking space (3 beds), the latter directly in front of the property. The estate roads are too narrow to allow any parking and so is the road through the village. There is no nearby parking.

So, the estate is ideal for buyers who are either 'Johnny no mates' or don't like entertaining, or don't need two cars for 'life' in a commuter village'. I bet reality only dawns for some after they become proud owners.

HERE is an example of a crammed in property.

Edited by LiveinHope

It seems they've started building on the old DERA site near me, at Chobham.

200 homes one side and 1,200 the other as far as I can tell.

I don't want to sound pessimistic but it seems an excessive amount for the area.

Well, allegedly the 'green belt' has to be preserved so the only option is to build on brownfield sites like this one... :rolleyes:

The argument I love is:

When we have built on all brownfield sites, where are we going to build Factories, Shops, Bus depots and offices of the future?

Development of the last 30 years is in presumption that the UK is in terminal decline - we no longer need commercial areas because there is no commerce left.

"oh, how it changed after Putin bombed the states" - :D

1393968767[/url]' post='1102477994']

HERE is an example of a crammed in property.

Pets by negotiation

Restrictions: No DSS or Smokers.

Might as well add: No blacks, no Irish and no Jews to round it off. dry.gif

Edited by bomberbrown

Most of whats been built in Cambridge the last 10 years is as bad. As you might surmise, being, until a couple of decades ago, a small provincial town that aside from the university, was largely agricultral, there isnt much brownfield/ ex-heavy industry to begin with.

Expensive apartments overlooking some 80s office blocks, warehouses, rail line and road bridge, or other apartments overlooking retail units and superstores. You decide...

Still sells though. Seems the worse locations get, the more ******** 'green' language the planners use too.

Theyre now building on contaminated land south of cambridge too.

Ancedotal, the mother-in-law was telling me about all of the new developments going in in Wells, she is hoping to trade in her run down 40's council house for a shiny 2 bed new build and keep the change :)

there does seem to be a bit of a building boom going on, but I am not going to shout about it.

Pets by negotiation

Does not DSS mean no Housing benefit too?

restricts your market a bit i would think.

Pets by negotiation

To my non-amazement I do a satellite view and find thousands of acres of low grade agricultural land just to the north. I have to ask who are teh feckers who are imposing this on society? Is it just the NIMBYS? Surely not.

SINGLE ALLOCATED PARKING SPACE IN FRONT OF PROPERTY

54167_135_IMG_01_0000_max_656x437.jpg

Edited by Wurzel Of Highbridge

If I made sh1t sandwiches for a living, how many would I sell and would it be profitable for me? The most likely answer is no.

So it begs the question, why do sh1t dwellings still sell? Why on earth do people still buy them?

Pets by negotiation

It's a BTL investment innit - no riff raff

after all margins are tight :lol:

If I made sh1t sandwiches for a living, how many would I sell and would it be profitable for me? The most likely answer is no.

So it begs the question, why do sh1t dwellings still sell? Why on earth do people still buy them?

I suppose the simple answer is you wouldn't sell any.... unless they were the only food left in existence. Then you would have everyone trying to buy one.

Ergo........

Perhaps because there is little choice. Most properties for sale are, in reality, terrible. If councils were to lay roads and basic services to an area, then auction off reasonable sized plots with outline planning permission for build your own (with some kind of rule that it would be one only per family or suchlike), then people would build interesting, decent functional homes.

Perhaps because there is little choice. Most properties for sale are, in reality, terrible. If councils were to lay roads and basic services to an area, then auction off reasonable sized plots with outline planning permission for build your own (with some kind of rule that it would be one only per family or suchlike), then people would build interesting, decent functional homes.

I have always thought that would be a good idea too.

My uncle was telling me that where they used to live in Laindon, Essex was essentially pieces of land that you could buy to go camping on and escape London. Fairly decent houses were built there in the late 70's.

Essentially if the government and councils really wanted more houses built then they would have already released green fields to the general public. The reality of the situation is that the vested interests in the government and local councils outweigh those who want homes built.

I guess if they didn't buy them they'd only end up renting the same sh1t off the buy to letters. An understandable motive even if it makes the situation worse.

That single allocated parking house earlier is a car length wide , Its quite generous , there are house's from the late 90's early mid 2000 all over SWales that are barely over a car WIDTH wide .

For example

f77b646c50dfd1cf2a3c00b3bfc5e769b9fd99f3_354_255.jpg

The crazy thing is most brownfield land and that quarry will be stuffed with wildlife.

We had an old quarry/industrial site and they reclaimed it for housing.They destroyed newts,frogs,birds,reptiles etc etc.It was a superb habitat full of wildlife.

Down the road the green belt cant be touched.Its huge arable fields and pasture with no hedgerows and no wildlife.

Bonkers.As the guys at the wildlife trust call most farmland/green belt, "green deserts".

I would imagine it's because of the various schemes with the worst being HTB which makes them affordable.Take all the schemes away and sales would fall away rapidly.

Its a reasonable point - but to be fair you may well do fine.

Plenty of dross processed food sells in huge amounts every day in this country. Take those microwave cardboard rustlers for example.

Lots of people go for the easy option. We do appear to like that in this country.

I suppose a new build poorly constructed Barrat home is the equivalent 'easy option' in regards to housing as a Rustler microwave burger is to an afternoon snack.

They both seem to sell very well - however difficult that is to understand or justify.