House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Battenberg

Would You Offer A Woman You Don't Know A Lift?

Today, whilst driving down the a48, I pulled into a parking bay to put some water in my wiper washer container.

I'd been out of the car for about 2 minutes when a man in a van pulled up behind me and got out. I was in Mr B's car and I wasn't clear on where the bonnet catch was so was doing a bit of fiddling. I went to get my phone out of my car when the man with the van asked me if I wanted a lift anywhere. I confess I found that a bit odd. I'd have expected perhaps the offer of help or an enquiry into if there was anything he could help with but not a lift. I hastily made tracks.

Does this make me sound like a man hater or would anyone else find that an unusual request.

Today, whilst driving down the a48, I pulled into a parking bay to put some water in my wiper washer container.

I'd been out of the car for about 2 minutes when a man in a van pulled up behind me and got out. I was in Mr B's car and I wasn't clear on where the bonnet catch was so was doing a bit of fiddling. I went to get my phone out of my car when the man with the van asked me if I wanted a lift anywhere. I confess I found that a bit odd. I'd have expected perhaps the offer of help or an enquiry into if there was anything he could help with but not a lift. I hastily made tracks.

Does this make me sound like a man hater or would anyone else find that an unusual request.

My vote is for weird. Not like you were hitchhiking or anything, or looking too stranded.

Yes; I find that odd. If I came across that situation I would ask the woman attending to the car if she had broken down, needed any help and/or would like me to call a breakdown service. But no way would I suggest taking her somewhere else, unless I believed that we were both in significant danger staying where we were.

Sounds perfectly innocent to me.

He thought you'd broken down and was offering to give you a lift. Not pushy about it, when you declined he went away.

Sounds like a nice guy, and I'm sure you were decent to him.

Yes; I find that odd. If I came across that situation I would ask the woman attending to the car if she had broken down, needed any help and/or would like me to call a breakdown service. But no way would I suggest taking her somewhere else, unless I believed that we were both in significant danger staying where we were.

+1

He could have been interested in you or the car. Suspicious.

Where on the A48 was this?

Did he ask you to help get a sofa into his van? :ph34r:

:D

Was his van yellow? Double vowels on the side?

Well I must confess that the XYY jury is split right down the middle on this one.

Did the bloke offer the lift thus:

"Now then, now then, guys and gals, goodness gracious would you like to go for a ride in my love-mobile, ouoouhouoouuouugghh 'ow's about that then...?"

If so, he's probably perfectly innocent...

;)

XYY

Considering nothing actually happened - and it could have been a perfectly innocent offer of help - i think you have to give the benefit of the doubt to the bloke.

When i was living in NZ we used to hitch hike a lot. Once a group of 4 of us - blokes - got a lift late at night of a single burd who iirc had a broken leg.

She clearly didn't think about the potential but highly unlikely scenario of us all being rampaging sex offenders.

In that situation what she did would probably be seen by many as unusual and weird. In fact she was just being nice.

[...]

In that situation what she did would probably be seen by many as unusual and weird. In fact she was just being nice.

And..... did you do her? :P

No, I wouldn't.

On a semi related topic, I am reminded of the time I saw a very odd hitchhiker on my way into Sunderland about 4 or 5 years ago. Traffic was manic and we were crawling along the duel carriageway about 5mph, if that. I noticed a very suave looking man in his 60's or so standing by the side of the road with a brief case in one hand and a small whiteboard in the other dressed in a full suit and tie. The whiteboard was asking for a lift into the city center. I can safely say he appeared to be the poshest hitchhiker I've ever seen. I thought at first maybe he had broken down but there was no car in sight and he was there in the exact same spot each morning for the next week. The only thing that changed was his suit. Odd...

I was in a local supermarket one day when the heavens opened and it absolutely threw it down.

I looked at the old lady waiting by the door and could see she would have to walk home in the rain.

I offered her a lift and went out of my way to take her to her doorstep and carried her shopping.

The miserable cow didn't even thank me.

Well I must confess that the XYY jury is split right down the middle on this one.

Did the bloke offer the lift thus:

"Now then, now then, guys and gals, goodness gracious would you like to go for a ride in my love-mobile, ouoouhouoouuouugghh 'ow's about that then...?"

If so, he's probably perfectly innocent...

:lol::lol::lol: you northern monkey, I bet Clarkson wouldn't get away with comments like that

XYY

Probably innocent although a little socially awkward given the context. He probably thought you'd broken down - and perhaps knowing nothing about cars did the only thing he could to help.

Oddly enough I met my missus on under related circumstances. We got chatting in a shop queue and went our separate ways at the tills. I glanced across and noticed she had about ten carrier bags of stuff behind the till. I offered to help her carry it home.

Somebody filling the washer bottle maybe does not need a lift!!

Of course I would offer a lift to anyone with steam and oil pissing out of their vehicle!

The usual Pin rules apply! All firearms, Bibles, and hurdie-gurdies go it the trunk! :blink:

Always offer a woman a seat at the back. Blokes always want to sit up front! ;)

Battenberg fears being a battered bird?

I agree first question should have been is there anything I can help you with?...... So to say would you like a lift before anything else would be a bit unnerving, still the answer would be no of course, but do you know where the bonnet release catch is in this car?......better safe than sorry, still it might have been all in kindness and innocence but although the risk is small, just not worth finding out, it is not as if it is a life/death situation. ;)

I agree first question should have been is there anything I can help you with?...... So to say would you like a lift before anything else would be a bit unnerving, still the answer would be no of course, but do you know where the bonnet release catch is in this car?......better safe than sorry, still it might have been all in kindness and innocence but although the risk is small, just not worth finding out, it is not as if it is a life/death situation. ;)

maybe squatting over the water container to refill naturally was a bit much for the man to resist?

Who fills their water tank with mineral water anyway?...surely squeezing sun bleached tomatoes would have been more economical?

I was in a local supermarket one day when the heavens opened and it absolutely threw it down.

I looked at the old lady waiting by the door and could see she would have to walk home in the rain.

I offered her a lift and went out of my way to take her to her doorstep and carried her shopping.

The miserable cow didn't even thank me.

I think that might be my wife!

maybe squatting over the water container to refill naturally was a bit much for the man to resist?

Who fills their water tank with mineral water anyway?...surely squeezing sun bleached tomatoes would have been more economical?

Lol.....spitting on the windscreen may have helped, I agree mineral water is best drunk or used in an iron. ;)

Sounds perfectly innocent to me.

He thought you'd broken down and was offering to give you a lift. Not pushy about it, when you declined he went away.

Sounds like a nice guy, and I'm sure you were decent to him.

He didn't go Frank, I did. I respectfully advised him I was fine and hadn't broken down, poured some water on my windscreen, jumped in the car and went.

16 years ago I broke down on another part of the A48 just coming into Cardiff whilst coming back from a trip away in Manchester. I didn't have a mobile phone, weren't so many about then, and I got out of the car with my 6 month old baby and waited on the side. A man pulled up in front of me, got out and offered me his phone which I was very grateful for. I didn't find that odd.

Did he ask you to help get a sofa into his van? :ph34r:

No, just a mattress.

Quite. There are quite a few stops along that road and I pulled in a few weeks back in my own car for the very same reason. Dumb as it is I also didn't know where the clip was once I'd popped the bonnet. There was a group of men there and I asked one of them for help. I'm not averse to asking a bloke for assistance. I would encourage Mr B to help someone out. He's changed tyres on quite a few occasions for women but there wasn't even a suggestion of help from this man, just a straight jump to an offer of ' I'll give you a lift somewhere love'.

I don't think our C-Max was a target. As I say, I don't wish to come across as bashing men who offer a lady help, I love men, but sometimes you just know that it's a bit unusual.

Note to self: ensure water always in washer tank or learn how to open bonnet.

Probably innocent although a little socially awkward given the context. He probably thought you'd broken down - and perhaps knowing nothing about cars did the only thing he could to help.

Oddly enough I met my missus on under related circumstances. We got chatting in a shop queue and went our separate ways at the tills. I glanced across and noticed she had about ten carrier bags of stuff behind the till. I offered to help her carry it home.

Glanced over hmmm :rolleyes:

Somebody filling the washer bottle maybe does not need a lift!!

Of course I would offer a lift to anyone with steam and oil pissing out of their vehicle!

The usual Pin rules apply! All firearms, Bibles, and hurdie-gurdies go it the trunk! :blink:

Always offer a woman a seat at the back. Blokes always want to sit up front! ;)

Would you like a lift? You can sit in the back if you want. *Points at transit van*

[/ladiesmanpin]