House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wherebee

Playing The Benefits Game

So - I've unexpectedly been given the chance to live rent free on the south coast for a year, if I want to come back to the UK. My mind started clicking over and, assuming no rental costs, what would be be suggestions for maximising the benefits drain on the exchequer? I could have a year doing something productive like learning a new language, and not working. Keep your suggestions legal

Assume:

UK citizen, 1+ kids (i.e. we could pump a couple more out if we wanted)

Savings over 150kGBP (although I could buy a property overseas, which I think makes that ignored legally for means assessments?)

no disabilities - no, wait, I do have aspegers and bad eyesight!

could work contract / be self employed if I wanted

would still have to cover heating, light, TV, internet, council tax, etc

no garden for food :(

I totted up what the last three generations have given the UK taxman and it's Waaaaaaaaay more than they ever took out, so.....who knows, there might even be a running story for you lot on HPC if it works...

Savings over 150kGBP

Oh dear, no benefits for you then, although you could always buy a massarati - great comedy value when you park it outside the benefit office.

Oh dear, no benefits for you then, although you could always buy a massarati - great comedy value when you park it outside the benefit office.

its my house fund, so no blowing it on a bit of tin

oooh, actually, according to this website:

entitledto.co.uk

I would get child benefit and tax credits if I went self employed and kept my earnings under 15,000 a year. Would get 9000 pounds of benefits.......

wouldn't get any reduction in council tax tho :(

Edited by wherebee

AFAIK the only thing you can manage with those savings is job seekers allowance, which is maybe eighty a week. They means test the others.

Tax credits and child benefit are paid regardless of savings.

So - I've unexpectedly been given the chance to live rent free on the south coast for a year, if I want to come back to the UK. My mind started clicking over and, assuming no rental costs, what would be be suggestions for maximising the benefits drain on the exchequer? I could have a year doing something productive like learning a new language, and not working. Keep your suggestions legal

Assume:

UK citizen, 1+ kids (i.e. we could pump a couple more out if we wanted)

Savings over 150kGBP (although I could buy a property overseas, which I think makes that ignored legally for means assessments?)

no disabilities - no, wait, I do have aspegers and bad eyesight!

could work contract / be self employed if I wanted

would still have to cover heating, light, TV, internet, council tax, etc

no garden for food :(

I totted up what the last three generations have given the UK taxman and it's Waaaaaaaaay more than they ever took out, so.....who knows, there might even be a running story for you lot on HPC if it works...

I was bought up to believe that it was vulgar to talk about one's bank balance, but assuming you do have £150k in the bank

why do you need to ponce off the UK taxpayer?

People tell me that I am slightly odd...

itsarandomworld

I was bought up to believe that it was vulgar to talk about one's bank balance, but assuming you do have £150k in the bank

There are plenty of billionaires poncing off the UK taxpayer.

The liberal establishment has spent the last 30 years persuading people that it's nasty, and probably racist, to ask any question at all about people on benefits - you have to be completely non judgmental.

itsarandomworld

partly because I think the UK benefits system is evil, and the more it pays out the quicker it will be destroyed and reality hit the country, and also because I look at the tax I, my parents, and grandparents paid over the past 90 years and realise that it's been sucked mostly one way, and finally because those in power have shown me the morals for sucking on the public teat big time....

so a combination of moral and justice reasons :D

partly because I think the UK benefits system is evil, and the more it pays out the quicker it will be destroyed and reality hit the country, and also because I look at the tax I, my parents, and grandparents paid over the past 90 years and realise that it's been sucked mostly one way, and finally because those in power have shown me the morals for sucking on the public teat big time....

I'm not entirely sure two wrongs make a right, but fair enough...I guess its a case of if you can't beat them, join them!

People tell me that I'm slightly odd...

itsarandomworld

itsarandomworld

His £150k savings would have earned £9k+ in 2007 but now he'd be looking at around £2k. That seems enough to me to make people want to wreak some revenge on the system.

When i look at friends , family and people from work it seems that not being subsidised by benefits is getting rarer and rarer.

Hiding savings etc to qualify for benefits is wrong but not joining the gravy train can disadvantage you in lots of ways so i do not blame anyone for doing what they can to climb all aboard

Your confidence is impressive, but have you asked your missus how she feels about pumping out a couple of kids in one year? :o

Is there anyway you can claim the money and stay abroad?

Or buy a £150k house...then you can claim benefits......£150k invested in a house you can claim...£150k invested in cash you can't until you spend most of it on something of use less. ;)

You'll have to pass the habitual residency test before you get any benefits so owning a property abroad is a no no.

Buying a property here for cash would be classed as deprivation of capital so you can't do that either.

Edited by Solitaire

Is anyone aware of how they find out if you have stocks, shares, second back account e.t.c? Is all this information logged in experian? What if you have accounts in different addresses. Just curious that's all as I'm sure it's easy to get around by just assigning capital to another person.

Also house sale money isn't taken into account for 6 months, thought it worth a mention. Plus capital doesn't apply to 'goods' which I guess kruggerands could be considered.

You'll have to pass the habitual residency test before you get any benefits so owning a property abroad is a no no.

Buying a property here for cash would be classed as deprivation of capital so you can't do that either.

Are you sure? I thought that buying a house to live in was one of the few legitimate ways of disposing of capital in this context. What about someone who puts down, say, a 20k deposit to buy a house? Are you saying they would not be allowed to claim benefits if they then lost their job? For how long?

Edited by snowflux

As an aside, what are the rules if an owner-occupier is made redundant then sells their house in order to move to another location? Is buying a new house with the equity permitted or is that deprivation of capital?

Guest spp

I would get child benefit and tax credits if I went self employed and kept my earnings under 15,000 a year. Would get 9000 pounds of benefits.......

Is this really true? Totally ridiculous! No surprise unemployment is down. How easy it it for EU migrants to 'start a business' and claim these handouts?

The single sprogless person is getting slaughtered. Not only do they face huge housing costs/living costs, but they are also in competition with the very people their tax is going to.

How about drastically raising the income tax threshold for the employed single person??

The U.K is a high speed DEBT based train wreck.

Go self employed and make £120 a week.Youl get full tax credits with none means tested away at that level of income.Your savings dont matter.I know people worth £1 million + getting £2000 a month in tax credits.

Get children classed as disabled with behaviour problems as this gets you DLA + much higher tax credits.A friend of mine gets her son to urinate on the floor everytime she takes him to the doctors and to kick the walls etc.The quack then put him down as ADHD.She buys him new Xbox games as a reward.Nothing wrong with him of course.

Self employed tax credits is the benefit of choice now,most unemployed people use it rather than JSA as you dont need to sign on or anything.

Whatever you do dont take any job unless its £40k a year ,its not worth it.Jobs need to be avoided 100%.Self employed tax credits.

I dont blame anyone doing it if it helps bring down our welfare system as its past the point of saving now.

Go self employed and make £120 a week.Youl get full tax credits with none means tested away at that level of income.Your savings dont matter.I know people worth £1 million + getting £2000 a month in tax credits.

Get children classed as disabled with behaviour problems as this gets you DLA + much higher tax credits.A friend of mine gets her son to urinate on the floor everytime she takes him to the doctors and to kick the walls etc.The quack then put him down as ADHD.She buys him new Xbox games as a reward.Nothing wrong with him of course.

Self employed tax credits is the benefit of choice now,most unemployed people use it rather than JSA as you dont need to sign on or anything.

Whatever you do dont take any job unless its £40k a year ,its not worth it.Jobs need to be avoided 100%.Self employed tax credits.

I dont blame anyone doing it if it helps bring down our welfare system as its past the point of saving now.

Feck me, this country has gone to the dogs.