House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Scottish Tramps Fight Back

Jeremy Clarkson sparks Twitter outrage after Scottish 'tramps' joke

JEREMY Clarkson has become the subject of a Twitter backlash after he claimed Scottish independence would rid England of "all tramps".

By Tom Rawle/Published 4th March 2014

The motormouth presenter had a dig at the country's famous car industry and joked England would lose all homeless people if Scotland separated from the UK.

Talking on Sunday night's Top Gear, the 53-year-old host said: "We have heard a lot of talk in recent weeks about what Scotland would lose if you choose to go on your own.

"But nobody is talking about what England would lose. It is quite a lot - North Sea oil, the sub base at Faslane. All tramps."

To which co-host Richard Hammond gasped: "Oh God!"

But outraged Twitter users did not find the funny side and took to the social media site to vent their anger.

One riled-up Scot posted: "Just remember @JeremyClarkson it was a Scot that invented the TV, so you wouldn't have a job if it wasn't for us…"

Another said: "Not many of us Tramps in Scotland will be watching TG again."

And a third added: "One thing Scotland would gain if they became independent is ditching dull t******* like Jeremy Clarkson."

Clarkson continued to add fuel to the fire by laying into Scotland's prestigious motor industry.

He said that Britain would lost a "significant chunk" of its driving heritage.

"I am talking about the mighty Argyll, Scotland's finest," he said.

But the chatterbox hit out at the electric car, the Scamp.

"A rather tragic story made of aluminium and wood it was going to be sold through electricity board showrooms.

"When they took it to a government test centre to get roadworthiness certificate there was a bit of a problem.

"In one test when the inspector noted the speedo broke, the electric motor stopped working, a back door flew open, the spare wheel fell out, steering went wrong and suspension snapped. That was the end of that."

Handfuls of complaints from viewers came in claiming the presenter had overstepped the mark.

But a BBC spokeswoman said Clarkson's remarks were said with "tongue partially in cheek."

Elsewhere on the show, there was a guest appearance from new Need For Speed star and Breaking Bad actor Aaron Paul.

In stylish fashion, the 34-year-old topped the Star In A Reasonably Priced Car table with the fastest time so far this series.

Again, people fail to realise that when they lose their sense of humour entirely then they become part of the joke. Expect more along these lines next week as these miserable sods write Clarkson's material for him.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/368080/Jeremy-Clarkson-sparks-Twitter-outrage-after-Scottish-tramps-joke

I don't really agree with his politics or share his obsession with cars - but I do find him amusing at times (in part because of his willingness to play the little Englander/white man van and take the mickey out of almost anyone). I'm sure it's all an act - but there's definitely room for a vaguely obnoxious everyman type on telly.

And people fall into the trap every time. It would be a sad day if he ever got kicked off the telly for something he said.

I agree that his jokes are often a little too much but would this have been a problem if the Scots weren't thinking of leaving already.

I thought the British way was a self deprecating one, Maybe that's why some scots no longer enjoy it!

I look forward to the Scottish Independence vote; there is no way they are going to vote to go and once the votes are in I hope they will ‘put a sock in it’ for a few decades, I’m partly Scottish and a feature of my trips up there was how much complaining people did about the English.

Again, people fail to realise that when they lose their sense of humour entirely then they become part of the joke. Expect more along these lines next week as these miserable sods write Clarkson's material for him.

Pretty much that. Anyone who takes him seriously needs their head examining. At his worst the most I think is "What a prat" then get on with something else, and I'm a person who's usually very easily annoyed.

Talking on Sunday night's Top Gear, the 53-year-old host said: "We have heard a lot of talk in recent weeks about what Scotland would lose if you choose to go on your own.

We'd lose you for a start, you fat ****. Where do I sign?

All serial killers are tramps.

Unite strikers should be shot in front of their families.

All tramps are scots.

A bit of lame (fake?) controversy simply works as advertising to sell another bookload of little Englander righteous indignation pieces collected from his column in the Sunday Times.

When Trainspotting came out I saw it twice at the cinema, Brighton and Glasgow , the bit where he says "Shite being Scottish" as well as the "Only one option" bit when the bus with LONDON on the front appears drew great laughs in Brighton, but dead silence when he goes on to "Even worse, colonised by w*ankers, we can`t even find decent people to be colonised by" :lol: (that laugh is mine) In Glasgow, you could hear a pin drop when the "Shite being Scottish" bit was said, but it was party back on for the next line. Nobody likes being laughed at, and IMO all over the UK, people are much more invested in looking "right" and doing "right" (buying) than they were 30 years ago, and hence less able to take a joke at their own expense? (Trainspotting was 18 years ago of course)

This car daft bloke looks a bit like a tramp himself, a rich one of course, and it surprises me that anyone cares what he says. As another poster said, twitter etc. is designed and encouraged by the people in control, not to find out what the masses are thinking, but to keep them thinking about shite. The Scots begging in London is an age old problem though isn`t it? Years ago, when I briefly worked in a halfway-house for problem drinkers in Aberdeen, a guy from the Glasgow area was talking about his time begging in London (to top up wages from a full time job on a building site) and complaining that all the guys down being drunk and aggressive round the tube/railway stations was spoiling it for the ones like him who just liked to hold the hat out or squeak away on a harmonica! Twitter and the general media thrives on nonsense like The Scots V The Laird of the Manor, it is all just b*ollocks to keep us distracted.

It is unbelievable how many Scottish tramps there are in English cities. Now being joined by Eastern Europeans.

Quite a lot of the beggars in Edinburgh are English. Maybe it's only aspirational beggars who have the get-up-and-go to move elsewhere who are successful...

I look forward to the Scottish Independence vote; there is no way they are going to vote to go and once the votes are in I hope they will ‘put a sock in it’ for a few decades, I’m partly Scottish and a feature of my trips up there was how much complaining people did about the English.

I doubt it.

No vote - tory/UKIP government in Westminster - Scottish referendum

Rinse and repeat.

Let's face it, there's nothing funnier that Scotland wanting independence AND keeping the pound. It's the joke that tops all others - even Frankie Boyle can't beat it.

I find it funnier that people will rage against the system (on an internet forum obviously, wouldn't want to go out and try to REALLY make a difference), and then denounce those that try to break from the very system they rage against.

Even then, I don't find it THAT funny.... more funny peculiar really.

It is unbelievable how many Scottish tramps there are in English cities.

I've been surprised by how many apparently Scottish tramps there are in Toronto too. In fact, I've been surprised by how many of the tramps here are clearly not from North America overall. I suspect I notice the Scottish ones because of the recognisable accent which, to be fair, does lend itself particularly well to Rab C Nesbitt style drunken rantings. There's Enlgish ones too and quite a few who could be Irish or, possibly, from Newfoundland.

well with balls and osborne telling them to vote no I can understand the scots if they do decide to vote yes..because these pair of clowns are frankly a joke(and a sick one at that)

...but, I suppose after we've got rid of them during the elections then we could have a vote as to whether to eject scotland from the union..then it will get really petty and vitriolic.(yest it will include all removal of military etc from scotland and charging their students astronomical school fees etc.)....we'll throw in a few border patrols as well I suppose.

it's not the votes that count, it's who counts the votes.

...and the people counting the votes are intent on divide and conquer...so what better way than to forment civil unrest?

Let's face it, there's nothing funnier that Scotland wanting independence AND keeping the pound. It's the joke that tops all others - even Frankie Boyle can't beat it.

Surely Scotland wanting independence AND to join the EU is funnier? The only difference is whether the orders come direct from Brussels or via London.

Surely Scotland wanting independence AND to join the EU is funnier? The only difference is whether the orders come direct from Brussels or via London.

I suppose you would find it funny if your mind had been conditioned by the right-wing British press to believe that the EU is some sort of tyrannical oppressor. You must have found it absolutely hilarious when the ex-USSR Baltic states joined the EU.

I suppose you would find it funny if your mind had been conditioned by the right-wing British press to believe that the EU is some sort of tyrannical oppressor.

You're deliberately missing the point of course. What's funny is that Scotland would want to leave one supposed tyrannical oppressor and then join another. That makes no sense at all. As it happens I think Scotland would do way better as an independent country - independent of the UK and of the EU.

I suppose you would find it funny if your mind had been conditioned by the right-wing British press to believe that the EU is some sort of tyrannical oppressor. You must have found it absolutely hilarious when the ex-USSR Baltic states joined the EU.

It's not exactly black and white though is it? Compared to the USSR the EU would be paradise. Doesn't mean that it's better than being in control of our own country though. Just because it was an improvement from some doesn't make it an improvement for all.

It's not exactly black and white though is it? Compared to the USSR the EU would be paradise. Doesn't mean that it's better than being in control of our own country though. Just because it was an improvement from some doesn't make it an improvement for all.

Yes I don't understand why Scots would be remotely interested in joining the EU.

That said, if they don't put their own political structure right, it will make little difference anyway whether they're in the UK, EU or on their own. They need to get rid of the puppet masters not the puppets.

Yes I don't understand why Scots would be remotely interested in joining the EU.

That said, if they don't put their own political structure right, it will make little difference anyway whether they're in the UK, EU or on their own. They need to get rid of the puppet masters not the puppets.

Any ROI citizens on here?

I wonder how they feel having fought for centuries to get their freedom, only to see it go down the EU tubes.

For the same reason that lots of other small countries joined the EU: to have the benefits of being part of a powerful single market while maintaining its sovereignty. An independent Scotland in the EU would have far more control of its own destiny than it could ever achieve in the UK, but would still have the trade advantages that membership of the EU brings.

Edit: On an emotional level, being part of a group of equals has got to be a lot more appealing than being one guy's sidekick.

Edit: On an emotional level, being part of a group of equals has got to be a lot more appealing than being one guy's sidekick.

I think that there is a lot in this. Problem is that the Common Market became the EU.

For the same reason that lots of other small countries joined the EU: to have the benefits of being part of a powerful single market while maintaining its sovereignty. An independent Scotland in the EU would have far more control of its own destiny than it could ever achieve in the UK, but would still have the trade advantages that membership of the EU brings.

2 points there.

1. They can have the benefits without the drawbacks by being outside the EU like the Swiss and others, but need to be "wanted" (i.e. rich) by the EU in order to have the negotiating power to get this. As things stand they'll be beggars at the table, which is not the position of the Norwegians or the Swiss.

2. One guy's sidekick worse than equals, hmm - Scotland had it's own legal system and health system within the UK, the human rights rubbish was introduced by the EU, for example. Do you really believe the small economy countries are equal to the big economy countries in the EU?