House Price Crash Forum
gf3

Who Is/was The Best Prime Minister

Can't vote. No option for Ramsey Macdonald or Benjamin Disraeli.

I am surprised you didn't think Warpole was in the running.

So just for you which do you think was best William Pitt the younger or William Pittt the elder?

Edited by gf3

A shame that after 7 years as Prime Minister Major's time ended up with such a massive majority for NuLabour

Edited by billybong

THE key lesson for all politicians afterwards...don't let house prices fall and don't allow people to be repossessed at all costs.

Also try to keep the sleaze under control as well as the arms to Iraq etc.

I am surprised you didn't think Warpole was in the running.

So just for you which do you think was best William Pitt the younger or William Pittt the elder?

Pitt the younger. Have to say, William Hague's biography is excellent.

Edited by disenfranchised

Major gets it for me for letting the housing market crash in the 90's so that it may rise again in 2001.

He didnt 'let' it.

Rather he was so obsessed about eventually joining the euro he put ERM requirements above house prices. If it wasnt for that forcing rates up in 92 and 93 he'd of bought labours bubble forward a couple of years.

The man is scum, same as the rest of them. The only good he did was an unintended accidental side effect.

Curious no comment about Lady Marmite

I liked her, many of her ideas were good, but they never turned out as she intended them........A share owning nation for example, that never happened, wonder how many people still own or have added to the original privatised companies....... Many were forced to sell, many are now foreign owned, even today the old nationalised companies do not want people holding a few shares not interested in small shareholders more trouble than they are worth..... ;)

Attlee was I think our best

But in our greatest hour of need I think Churchill was the best as a leader as distinct from a prime minister

I note that Brown has three votes to Cameron's one. Actually, that's reasonable because those who voted for Blair/Brown got what they voted for, whilst those of us who voted for Cameron didn't.

There's no doubt in my mind that Thatcher was the best of those listed, with Major a distant second. Cameron's name shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.

Got to be Major, though Cameron's legacy remains to be seen. Cameron aside, all the others created a bubble; whilst Major had to pick up the pieces from the Lawson boom and made a could fist of it and handed on a dream legacy.

1) Major

He's a 'proper' Tory for me. Have enjoyed (and agreed with) all of the criticisms he's laid at this joke of a government.

I couldn't organise the others in order of preference to be honest.

Thatcher laid the bedrock for a lot of our problems now and Blair and Brown were largely Thatcherite.

I don't think Cameron knows what he is. Man is an idiot.

Major gets it for me for letting the housing market crash in the 90's so that it may rise again in 2001.

That was actually Thatcher, who saw (belatedly) that HPI became a problem, and deliberately burst that bubble in 1989.

There were certainly problems with how it was done (not least that it was announced in advance leaving six crazy months for people to get into trouble ahead of the change). But it was a classic case of Better Late Than Never.

A shame that after 7 years as Prime Minister Major's time ended up with such a massive majority for NuLabour

Jam today, that's what the voters want, well the important ones that vote like the retired. Letting the market decide (destruction and reset) gives the next generation a chance and balancing the books is fair on future generations. Unfortunately the present generation (since Blair) has resisted asset reset and passed on the debts. Win, win for them and their boomer cohort.

Edited by crashmonitor

Major did his best, but his party had become unelectable. First they stabbed Thatcher, then they persistently undermined Major. Meanwhile The Liar had turned his party into an ultra-smooth machine around his own celebrity.

The tories deserved to lose in 1997 and 2001. But as is now only too clear, the alternative was worse, and Cameron had to become that alternative to get elected. One day that'll change, but it's not easy to see how, let alone when. Maybe Scotland (whether in or out) could become a catalyst in some way to emerge in years to come?

Thatcher laid the bedrock for a lot of our problems now and Blair and Brown were largely Thatcherite.

Would she have let the borrowing boom occur and then would she have bailed out the banks?

I'd say 25/75 on both counts. Whereas 100/0 for everyone else. Maybe 75/25 in Major's case for the borrowing. He would have taken us into €uro given have a chance... Look what it did to Ireland, Spain etc

Edited by Killer Bunny