House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Microsoft Seven Day Deadline On My Emails

Computer numpty here. Microsoft have given me 7 days to 'verify my security details', or emails will be locked. Is this genuine and safe to respond to?

Computer numpty here. Microsoft have given me 7 days to 'verify my security details', or emails will be locked. Is this genuine and safe to respond to?

Sounds dodgy

Microsoft may be evil, but they're not the ones trying to defraud you with that crap. Neither is you bank, nor HMRC, nor the Lottery, or any other people who send you those nice emails.

whats the URL(web address) they want you to visit?

It's a phishing email.

I get several per day purporting to be from my email provider. I also have had some that claim my account has been accessed from somewhere else and asking me to click on a link to change my password. The trouble is each one of these emails comes from a different account which has presumably already been compromised so there isn't just one address to block.

So yes, you're right to ignore and delete.

I also work on the premise that if my provider did block my account it would be easier to contact them to remedy it later than to risk handing details to anyone now.

Y

It's not legit.

Although the buggers at hotmail did unilaterally announce last year that they were removing linking of accounts.

Which was a right pain as I had a linked account for which I'd forgotten the password. I had a quick go at unlinking it but couldn't remember the password. Next time I tried, probably only a week later, they had already unlinked it so it had gone. Thanks hotmail.

I've logged onto Hotmail and been greeted with a screen that asks me to verify my personal details so they can send my password to me if I forget it; this seems to be a legitimate Microsoft request... Someone has mentioned that they want/must be able to link an email address with an actual person...

This seems to have been solved simply by my giving my phone number. Automated landline call came literally within seconds to offer 4 digit code, which when entered on screen, put emails back to normal operation. On reflection, whole thing seems genuine security device.

Thanks to all who offered comment.

This seems to have been solved simply by my giving my phone number. Automated landline call came literally within seconds to offer 4 digit code, which when entered on screen, put emails back to normal operation. On reflection, whole thing seems genuine security device.

Thanks to all who offered comment.

It's their way of associating a hotmail account with an individual by using a mobile number - so watch out all you lot with pervy hotmail accounts :rolleyes:

They did it a few months ago with my hotmail account that I used for my xbox gold membership. I thought that was the end of it then, a few months later, they began asking me for a SECOND email address. Then they ask for your personal address. It has got out of control IMPO.

Isn't "verifying" a security measure. It is with Yahoo, anyway. I think it's called second sign in verification.

If you decide to use it then if someone tries to login to your e-mail from an IP address which Yahoo don't recognise as one of yours then you can choose either to answer security questions or have a code sent to your mobile which needs to be entered before your e-mail can be accessed.