House Price Crash Forum
John51

We Buy Any House

First advert when I logged in...'We buy any house'. On this forum? :)

I don't get any adverts! I use firefox with adblocker! Ad's can be random but now days are generally targeted from the cookies you have picked from your web surfing! So where have you been? :P You can delete the cookies or surf privately so you don't pick all this rubbish up!

I believe the adverts are placed based on two things, the words which appear on the forum, ("buy house" for example, and cookies downloaded from other sites visited. by the viewer. No two forum members will see the same adverts.

I believe the adverts are placed based on two things, the words which appear on the forum, ("buy house" for example, and cookies downloaded from other sites visited. by the viewer. No two forum members will see the same adverts.

no one apart from the website you visit can see your cookies so can't be used for advertising. I assume most ads I see are google search based.

no one apart from the website you visit can see your cookies so can't be used for advertising. I assume most ads I see are google search based.

I see frequent advertisements on HPC for a company called Waterways World, a company with whom I have booked a canal boat holiday later this year. If I did find them through Google, this would have been once, several months ago and I must have Googled thousands of things since then.

Apparently if you browse the BNP website you get inter-racial dating ads.

Edited by Stop The Ride

i had a mad moment a couple of years ago and bought a cheapo car from an outfit called 'wesellanycar' without stopping to think that probably isnt the most confidence inspiring name :lol:

cars still running fine somehow. Ive actually been quite lucky with bangernomics.

just looked, the company is still going. Still not sure about the name though...

I see frequent advertisements on HPC for a company called Waterways World, a company with whom I have booked a canal boat holiday later this year. If I did find them through Google, this would have been once, several months ago and I must have Googled thousands of things since then.

Google records which websites you visit, searches you use etc, via a cookie. As you're probably aware, companies pay Google to display their adverts. One of the options available to advertisers is 'remarketing'. If you visit a website and the company is using remarketing, Google will show you adverts from that site on other sites you visit which are displaying Google-provided adverts. There is actually an option to not show the ad if you've purchased from the company in question, but not everyone uses it.