House Price Crash Forum

Black Monday

HOLA441

I've been trying to work out whether the Ukraine thang was any more meaningful to your average American than Georgia.

No comparison - Georgia is within their borders. I remember at the 96 Atlanta Olympic Games when the Georgia team entered the stadium at the opening ceremony - there was a huge cheer from the crowd. Seriously.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

My guess is Putin did the math... and figures Europe's need for Russia's resources is his trump card....

It's interesting to note that a viable alternative to fossil fuels would weaken Putin's hand.... maybe that will bring the right-wingers on board with alternative energy?... ;)

To have a rant..

It's one thing to disregard scientific warnings about serious environmental consequences several decades hence.

It's quite another to knowingly fund completely corrupt nuclear armed states like Russia and Wahhabists like Saudi Arabia, who provide most of the financial backing for Islamic extremism, and do nothing about it even though solutions exist.

HOLA443

I think one thing that is quite heartening is the really complicated calculations being made on both sides - the levels of intertwining and mutual benefits is so great it really does hinder more extreme action.

In a previous age, Russia may have been tempted to just have invaded the whole damn lot in response to the coup and the West to wade in on the other side. Now the elites feel they have much to lose financially and not so much to gain. At the moment, they have walked into Crimea 'without firing a shot'.

Erm, they were already there in force.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Excellent! Western growth prospects were negligible before, definitely negative now. Adding to my shorts. :)

Always amazes me how slow the market reacts. Until about 10 this morning investors had a get out of jail free card at around -60.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA448

Finally pessimism is winning the day. Putin appears to be spooking the commodities markets and with it western growth prospects.........

http://www.investing.com/indices/uk-100-advanced-chart

I had been surprised how well the markets were holding up to all this earlier this morning. Have US futures tanked?

HOLA449

Excellent! Western growth prospects were negligible before, definitely negative now. Adding to my shorts. :)

You engaged a quick reverse thrust there.

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:42 PM

Plan A.

1. Ride the reflation trade 'full tits' long all the way up.

2. Get aggressively short for the inevitable bust.

3. Acquire physical gold/silver for the subsequent hyperinflation.

4. F*** off somewhere warm with my winnings.

Plan B.

See above.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=197063&view=findpost&p=1102475985

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

what on earth is all the russian love in this thread??? have you guys been there?

I think it's an over-reaction to the propaganda being pushed as 'news' by the mainstream media in the West.

Clearly, the Russians aren't exactly nice guys but we get the usual media deification of the 'salt of the earth ordinary folk (remember Libya or Syria?) who are rebelling for freedom' when it comes to the pro-Western insurgents revolutionaries, so I think some feel the need to post a counterpoint.

Bottom line is that you don't mess with the Russians on their doorstep in a country who have a population that is (marginally) pro-Russian.

HOLA4414

To have a rant..

It's one thing to disregard scientific warnings about serious environmental consequences several decades hence.

It's quite another to knowingly fund completely corrupt nuclear armed states like Russia America and Great Britain and do nothing about it even though solutions exist.

HOLA4415

The choice is between hitting the rich (steal all Russian UK houses) or hitting the disabled (by pulling out of the Olympics )

An easy choice for Tories.(and Labour)

Prince Edward (not heard much from him lately) has pulled out of the Paralympics.

Vlad must be devastated.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

NATO and west invade liberate Iraq, hurrah. NATO and west invade liberate Afghanistan, hurrah. NATO and west invade liberate Libya , hurrah. Russia occupies small corner of Ukraine to safeguard its red sea fleet, BOO. The bare faced hypocrisy is astounding .

HOLA4419

Prince Edward (not heard much from him lately) has pulled out of the Paralympics.

Vlad must be devastated.

...didn`t know Prince Edward was a paralympian ...

In my day you had to be short of a leg or two but now it seems you can get in by just being a chinless wonder.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

NATO and west invade liberate Iraq, hurrah. NATO and west invade liberate Afghanistan, hurrah. NATO and west invade liberate Libya , hurrah. Russia occupies small corner of Ukraine to safeguard its red sea fleet, BOO. The bare faced hypocrisy is astounding .

Sovereign loving Russians vs the filthy, Krugmanite menace in Washington, London and Berlin!

HOLA4422

No it's not, we are liberating upholding national sovereignty and boarders the Russian's are annexing part of the Ukraine. Totally different you see....

As liberal democracies we spread love all over the world, where as this action is clearly military in nature.... :ph34r:

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

How could you forget backing the 'rebels' terrorists in Syria!??

Hypocrisy isn't the word for it anymore!

Why couldn't they just talk to the Russians, instead of coming straight out with their own 'international' threats?