House Price Crash Forum

Black Monday

HOLA441

It's been coming for a while.....a black monday event.

The old Russians are taking no s*** for the US and her bitch ( aka the UK ) and it looks like we are about to have a skirmish in the Ukraine.

Since all our gas comes through the Ukraine, we're in deep do do.

Hence, we are about to have a fairly black monday.

War's been in the offing for a while.

War, what is it good for...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

No - I expect it will keep going up. Its totally divorced from reality - so why should this change anything!

not sure it is divorced from reality. Bond yields have been manipulated to super low prices, therefore investors that can (legally) have to look elsewhere for a return, hence asset prices start to rise. Investors are not looking in reference to historical asset prices, they are looking at relative current returns. So for now the market is "rational".

When the next crisis kicks off and investors need their liquidity, then we will see asset prices reset.

High asset price-low yield is just proof to me how devalued our currencies are.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

it looks like we are about to have a skirmish in the Ukraine.

If Russia desires to crush the troublemakers in the Ukraine it will happen very swiftly. Good on them.

Who wants that kind of trouble from some pip-squeak upstarts on their front doorstep.

The Ukraine should know better than to piss off their former boss.

rhs_yushchenko,0.jpg

And as per the black day thing, perhaps the markets may drop a bit while punters wait to see who secures all the contracts, just like in 2003.

War is the single most profitable enterprise, ever.

If an armed conflict albiet a short one does occur watch for the disaster capitalists rushing into the ruins.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

If Russia desires to crush the troublemakers in the Ukraine it will happen very swiftly. Good on them.

Who wants that kind of trouble from some pip-squeak upstarts on their front doorstep.

rhs_yushchenko,0.jpg

And as per the black day thing, perhaps the markets may drop a bit while punters wait to see who secures all the contracts, just like in 2003.

If an armed conflict albiet a short one does occur watch for the disaster capitalists rushing into the ruins.

what on earth is all the russian love in this thread??? have you guys been there?

HOLA4411

The stock market seems to bear no relation to real world events any more. If anything the belief may be that there will be more QE, lower interest rates and more Funding for Lending.

For years now the worse the real world political/economic news the higher markets climb as they know more money will be printed.

HOLA4412

The FTSE, DOW etc are in mania right now and are not responsive to reason. I'm waiting for a definitive top before I short either,

As for the Ukraine, it will be settled via Proxy War the same way Syria is being handled. We will fund one side and the Russians the other. I suspect the Russian troops will just be occupying land previously taken by the proxy fighters in order to secure supply routes to them. The EU and US will have to be more creative in supplying their side in order to avoid direct confrontation with Russia.

Edited by Renewed Investor

HOLA4413

anybody ever wondered why since 2000/2001 the dow has gone from 10000 to 16000

the dax has gone from 6700(basically same level as ours) to 9500

should tell you that the government we've had over the past 10-15 years has been doing a lot of stuff wrong.(not that we didn't know that already)

...in response to above question, yes relying on fictional numbers plucked out of the air is a problem.

.....but fictional policies of utopia for all are quite frankly much more dangerous.

basically our pre-pubescant politicians need to realise now that the tooth fairy isn't real(i hesitate about santa clause because i know he is real and works as a taxi driver the other 364 days of the year), and need to grow a pair.

..hysterics and toys thrown from prams at high velocity there will be at the outset....but they frankly need to man up and learn to deal with the fact that playschool(or student union debating society) rules don't work in the real world.

Edited by oracle

HOLA4414

rhs_yushchenko,0.jpg

look, russia doesn't want this war either.

some of them know they are being set up to be counterfoil to the anglo-saxons(who are also being set up)

http://www.google.de/imgres?hl=en&biw=1440&bih=717&tbm=isch&tbnid=vWMxV4ifIUMk6M%3A&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fufomeaningmystery.blogspot.com%2F2013%2F02%2Freflections-february-2013.html&docid=I_rYqbU6ZYUq7M&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-sIGub9hx6TA%2FURjifqH9saI%2FAAAAAAAAOpA%2FFuYPy2jU1ow%2Fs1600%2FCoat%252Bof%252BArms%252Bof%252BPope%252BBenedict%252BXVI%252B-%252BRoman%252BCatholic%252BChurch%252Bin%252BEngland%252B-%252BPeter%252BCrawford.png&w=1304&h=1230&ei=P18TU7KsB8fKtQaLuoHICw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=1156&page=1&start=0&ndsp=27&ved=0CIEBEK0DMA0

let me explain this one to you.

the black bloke with the crown is obama.

the scallop...is widely known as part of the standard of the house of stuart.....which is basically uk.

the bear is obvious, that is russia.

heraldry here says benedict xv1 is trying to forment conflict to destroy(and control) all of the above.

his inauguration date suggests the same.

his(and francis) dove releases/savagery suggest somebody is watching and does not approve of the scheme...and soon vatican will be attacked by land and sea.(hence the crow...which is probably russia...primarily land-based military, and most probably britain..which has its renown as a sea-based power( USA i would suggest is air-based)

....told you these guys ought to consider it a very stark warning before.

Edited by oracle

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Wrong time of year..... gas supplies less important at the start of Spring. Russia knows that Winter wars work better for them. Putin will extract concessions for Ethnic Russians in Ukraine and settle for that..... Markets go apesh1t when eternal peace is declared.

I tend to agree, plus so many very influential Russians are relying on their London safety deposit boxes that there'll be plenty of inside voices to talk Putin down if it looks like getting too serious.

The Russians want to secure their Black Sea fleet base in the Crimea and not look like pansies in the eyes of the world, there's easily room to give them that without any red buttons getting pushed.

HOLA4420

That statement is so full of LOL. I sincerely hope it was in jest.

Actually.....why not? Does the UK have greater overall interests in Russia than senior Russian figures have in the UK?

IF, as is constantly alleged/claimed, that vast amounts of oligarch money is effectively sitting in the UK then why not impose sanctions on them (just like with other countries such as Iran, etc) ? Hit them in their own pockets and surely it will at the very least focus their minds a bit better? To realise that their actions do have consequences for them too? No?

HOLA4421

Anne Applebaum ‏@anneapplebaum 4h Hearing rumors, hopefully false, that UK is blocking financial sanctions on Russian officials: London too dependent on money laundering

Spooking all that Russian hot money out of Prime Central London property would certainly add to the fun - moving prices and doing the current account deficit no favours too, as best I understand the accounting for trade and investment flows, which is not well, I'll be honest.

Bad business for all those people fighting for some kind of freedom, but it will show that it's a sound and fury war by Putin if when push comes to shove we won't even freeze some financial assets.

Weird, I never thought I'd end up interpreting geopolitics through the lens of house prices.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Little Willie Hague can simply seize all Russia's assets in London.

Game over.

Not sure about that if they are in the pockets of rich Russians. Given the allowances made to them then it makes you wonder.

Another factor is that Ukraine could be days from going under. How will that affect the rest of eastern Europe. I still don't see any western multi billion package to help them. They turned to Russia last year as Russia offered $15 billion and a reduction on the very expensive 10 year gas deal the previous govt signed. The EU offered 1 billion at the time. 1bn v 15bn when in trouble was always going to turn them to Russia. Now what?

Edited by sf-02

HOLA4424

I dithered last week- wondering whether to liquidate investments and buy beans with the proceeds. Then I realised that if we go to war with Russia, financial loss will be the absolute least of my worries.

I did, however, buy more beans.

Seriously, though. This whole thing scares the hell out of me.

HOLA4425

My guess is Putin did the math... and figures Europe's need for Russia's resources is his trump card....

It's interesting to note that a viable alternative to fossil fuels would weaken Putin's hand.... maybe that will bring the right-wingers on board with alternative energy?... ;)