House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Si1

Potato Waffles Vs Hash Browns Vs Bubble And Squeak

I'm glad you bought (sic) this up.

Why when I am paying for a premium breakfast do I still get those cookie cutter pristine, truncated triangle, budget catering hash browns?

Waffles ftw.

I'm glad you bought (sic) this up.

Why when I am paying for a premium breakfast do I still get those cookie cutter pristine, truncated triangle, budget catering hash browns?

Waffles ftw.

Filth

Nothing like proper, homemade bubble and squeak with a fry up. Or cold boiled or baked potatoes, fried. I have been known to cook baked potatoes specially before doing a fry up brunch for a crowd.

You can keep your ready made hash browns etc.

Bubble and squeak.

That isn't even a question.

I've had my Sunday brekfast of black pudding and eggs :)

The "Much Further North" salutes you!

The "Much Further North" salutes you!

:) I can take or leave white pudding though, I'd only seen it on the telly when they did those regional cookery programmes and thought it must be a real specialty. When my local supermarket got it in one time I bought loads. It was nothing special.

My other "to try"s were:

Laverbread - still not found this

Deep fried Mars bar - found in a chippy Bude, very nice but incredibly rich.

Casu marzu - Italian maggot cheese - still not yet, need to go to Italy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu

Proper fried popatoes. The snag at the moment is that the quality of potatoes is cr4p. Least bad is Maris Pipers.

....bought 25kg of seconds, Maris Pipers this week £4 for the whole bag......seconds not, they were supposed to be the supermarkets rejects just because they were a bit dirty and a shape that might be not so easy to peel, beautiful firm and tasty just out the ground and much larger than the now pea sized potatoes of so called perfection the supermarkets charge £1 a kg for. ;)

:) I can take or leave white pudding though, I'd only seen it on the telly when they did those regional cookery programmes and thought it must be a real specialty. When my local supermarket got it in one time I bought loads. It was nothing special.

My other "to try"s were:

Casu marzu - Italian maggot cheese - still not yet, need to go to Italy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu

I've eaten a lot of unusual stuff in the past, and I like really strong tasting cheese, but I wouldn't eat that. Sounds disgusting.

My other "to try"s were:

Once you've done those, and of course the durian, it's time to indulge in the ultimate delicacy of surströmming.

Nothing like proper, homemade bubble and squeak with a fry up. Or cold boiled or baked potatoes, fried. I have been known to cook baked potatoes specially before doing a fry up brunch for a crowd.

You can keep your ready made hash browns etc.

Hmm cold mash and sprouts fried,

Once you've done those, and of course the durian, it's time to indulge in the ultimate delicacy of surströmming.

Castle Pin praises the Durian! :blink:

....bought 25kg of seconds, Maris Pipers this week £4 for the whole bag......seconds not, they were supposed to be the supermarkets rejects just because they were a bit dirty and a shape that might be not so easy to peel, beautiful firm and tasty just out the ground and much larger than the now pea sized potatoes of so called perfection the supermarkets charge £1 a kg for. ;)

How do you go about storing 25kg of spuds? Or do you eat a kilo a day?

How do you go about storing 25kg of spuds? Or do you eat a kilo a day?

Share them out.....they like a cool dark place, easier in the winter than summer, a cold shed or under the stairs, keep them in their heavy paper bags not in plastic of any kind..... if you can see they are starting to sprout they are still perfectly edible, you can prepare and freeze or prepare cook and freeze....never throw any food away. ;)

I've always found that Birds Eye potato waffles are waffley versatile.

Ten seconds to watch. A lifetime in the brain...

I've always found that Birds Eye potato waffles are waffley versatile.

.....plastic fantastic, the thought makes the roof of the mouth dry....artificial, unnatural, false.....something you would eat as rations or on the moon, an emergency last resort to obtain urgent calories. ;)

I have never worshipped the "false potato". You know you can make mash and waffles from real potatoes! :blink:

Bubble would be the breakfast of choice here...I would have thought!

Same here - proper bubble and squeak is one of the tastiest things ever.

Potato Waffles are what toddlers eat and whilst you can get good hash browns, most people only ever experience McDonalds or frozen stuff out of packets.

BTW - the beast breakfasts are definitely in the US - my all time favourite is Eggs Benedict which I can cook myself and also a decent corned beef hash is very tasty.

Of course, you can't eat this stuff every day.

BTW - the beast breakfasts are definitely in the US - my all time favourite is Eggs Benedict which I can cook myself and also a decent corned beef hash is very tasty.

Ah, yes - I have seen a 'beast' breakfast or two in the US - one of them included a pile of pancakes about six inches high with a lump of butter the size of a tennis ball on top.

The bloke eating it was roughly the size of Arizona.

I have never worshipped the "false potato". You know you can make mash and waffles from real potatoes! :blink:

Indeed PinHead, straight in the 'effin embers!

500_1405_waffle_iron_com.jpg

Indeed PinHead, straight in the 'effin embers!

A device of true wondrousness! I really think "reconstituted powdered potato" is a product for which there was no need. ;)