House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Discount Beer Thread

To keep a track of promotions running in each of the supermarkets. On decent-ish beer rather than John Smiths type stuff. Especially Fullers.

Sainsburys has three bottles for £5 on all the Badger ales, Poachers especially recommended.

To keep a track of promotions running in each of the supermarkets. On decent-ish beer rather than John Smiths type stuff. Especially Fullers.

Sainsburys has three bottles for £5 on all the Badger ales, Poachers especially recommended.

Most of the supermarkets up here have the 3 for a fiver deal, and ASDA have been throwing the odd 4 for a fiver into the mix lately. Tesco and Morrisons sometimes vary the deal with a 4 for six quid selection, but all of these offers are good value for proper bottled ales. Even my local CO-OP have them, and some of their own brand ales are excellent - 'Freeminer' being a good example.

Best thing is, somewhere in the ales available are some well-strong abv numbers that will get you pretty wasted on a tenners worth.

I particularly recommend McKewan's Champion ale, Marston's Strong Pale Ale or Sheppard Neame's '1698' if getting wrecked on a flavoursome ale is your aim.

Oh, and if you don't mind visiting the cheap seats, B & M bargain stores have some very competitively priced bottled ales on offer, and also a few canned varieties - Courage Directors in 500ml cans at £2.99 - yes TWO ninety-nine - for 4 in the Peterlee branch last weekend...!

Getting pissed has never been so cheap if you shop around...

:)

XYY

To add to XYY's recommendation.

Home Bargains also have a few competitively priced bottled ales.

The guy in the homebrew shop was trying to flog some 7% US IPA kit yesterday. I was not convinced.

Home Bargains also have a few competitively priced bottled ales.

Aye, Itchy's right there like - Home Bargains is another one that's well worth a walk around the beer aisle whenever you're passing.

XYY

To add to XYY's excellent summary ...

I've been particularly impressed by Asda's selection: the best price, and a good range of really nice beers. Tesco is a strong second, and Morrison also beats Sainsburys amongst the "big four". That's all IME: different stores may differ.

Lidls can be worth a look. The selection is much more limited, but there can be something decent at a competitive price.

Most of the supermarkets up here have the 3 for a fiver deal, and ASDA have been throwing the odd 4 for a fiver into the mix lately. Tesco and Morrisons sometimes vary the deal with a 4 for six quid selection, but all of these offers are good value for proper bottled ales. Even my local CO-OP have them, and some of their own brand ales are excellent - 'Freeminer' being a good example.

Best thing is, somewhere in the ales available are some well-strong abv numbers that will get you pretty wasted on a tenners worth.

I particularly recommend McKewan's Champion ale, Marston's Strong Pale Ale or Sheppard Neame's '1698' if getting wrecked on a flavoursome ale is your aim.

Oh, and if you don't mind visiting the cheap seats, B & M bargain stores have some very competitively priced bottled ales on offer, and also a few canned varieties - Courage Directors in 500ml cans at £2.99 - yes TWO ninety-nine - for 4 in the Peterlee branch last weekend...!

Getting pissed has never been so cheap if you shop around...

:)

XYY

Absolutely, 6.5% brews in the offers for the same price as the 3.9%. Job's a good 'un.

Though I always count my units as usually driving in the morning, so less to drink but as enjoyable.

What I was after with this thread, and I'll bump it as I see new stuff, is highlighting offers in supermarkets when they're on.

Partly this is for selfish reasons, I drive past Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsbury, Lidl, and Aldi every day so can go into whichever one has the offer on, and partly to spread the word.

Sainsbury's prior to the current mainly Badgers offer which has been running for about two weeks had a Fullers offer so ESB was available for £1.67. Wow.

There are also discounts on the cans, Tesco and Sainsburys seemed to keep swapping and I was finding one or the other was for most of last year selling 8 cans of London Pride for £9, usual price £12.

As a by the way I tried for the first time in my life Carlsberg Special Brew, as endorsed by tramps everywhere, it was horrible, dark, sickly, and at 9% a stonking four units for a 440ml can. Won't be buying that again, waste of good units.

What I was after with this thread, and I'll bump it as I see new stuff, is highlighting offers in supermarkets when they're on.

Partly this is for selfish reasons, I drive past Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsbury, Lidl, and Aldi every day so can go into whichever one has the offer on, and partly to spread the word.

Well our ASDA has got Marston's Pedigree in a pack of 6 500ml bottles for 8 quid at the moment - I've taken advantage of that deal this weekend.

Speckled Hen and it's dark and light variants were being discounted in multi-packs too.

They are also doing one of the well-known German wheat-beers - though I can't remember which brand - at 3 quid for 4x 330ml bottles. I'm partial to wheat-beer and enjoyed those Friday night.

I like a drop of Whisky too and prefer malts, but needs-must on my wages so I mainly buy blended except for birthdays Xmas etc. Whyte and McKay and Grant's are cheap at ASDA right now - Got a bottle of Grant's Sherry Cask for £14 on Friday. The regular Grant's was £13 but I much prefer the Sherry Cask.

Will post if I see any deals - normally sup Thursday to Sunday night so those'll be the days I'm in the shops and reporting back any bargains... :)

XYY

Lidl often have 500ml bishops finger and wychwood hobgoblin 4 for a fiver

Yer.....

Big fan of Lidl generally but their beer taster wants sacking. Shepherd Neame, Wychwood and Marstons Pedigree are all pretty much undrinkable for me. Shame as my brother always gets them in for me when I visit and I don't have the heart to tell him.

They have also wrecked their own brand Hatherwood (brewed by Bass) by dropping it from a full of body 4% and one of my favourite beers to a watery 3.6%.

And it's well over five years since they last stocked a superb wheat.beer in a bright blue can if anybody remembers that. The only beer I buy there now is cheap Carlsberg.

There are a few speciality beer shops popping up. These have various beers all at different prices etc. The Romsey Beer Emporium will sell you it draught in 2pint containers of guest stuff for around £2.20 per pint.

Some times spending a little more money for variety/quality is worth it, than just buying cheap

Tempted by those wheat beers :-)

ASDA sometimes include them in the four-for-six-squid offers.

But alas, I haven't seen Dunkelweizen for some time. Morrisons used to have some included in a whole shelf of wheat beers, then they went down to just one Weizen (plus Hoegarden which is overpriced and bland by comparison, and some of the English halfway-house wheat beers).

Not that I'd want a high-summer drink like that for another month or two, anyway.

My local minimarket has out of date guinness original 8 cans for a fiver at the moment.

Hope that helps!

It's there for everyone Knimbie. :)

:-)

I have often found that for generic lager type stuff, the local corner shop /convenience store is tough to beat.

My local shop, have 6 Polish beers for £5.50(and a good selection to boot) and an 8 for £7 on cans of most 'premium generic' lagers- San Miguel, Becks, Carly Export, Bud etc. Good to wash down a curry. Often way more in the supermarket.

4x 500ml cans of McKewan's Export for four quid at me local (Peterlee) ASDA today.

Going to Tesco in Durham tomorrow - will report back any bargains that I spot.

XYY

Worth a look is the "Tesco Simply" range, wouldn't go out of my way for them but they're half decent and not too expensive.

Booths have Adnams Lighthouse for a pound and marstons double drop for £1.09.

Booths I hear you say, independant supermarket in the north west, quality above everything.

Currently drinking shepherd neame whitechapel porter. i love this beer! 3 for a fiver at asda

Currently drinking shepherd neame whitechapel porter. i love this beer! 3 for a fiver at asda

I like their double stout but I can'T remember where I picked it up.