House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Miyagi

Commodore Pet (1981)

I have an old Commodore PET that has a couple of dongle things, does anyone know what their function is?

I know there are a few I.T gurus on here so I thought it would be a good place to ask.

Edit to add

They seem to fit into one of the ports on the back of the machine.

WP_20140301_08_45_53_Pro.jpg

post-14468-0-35755800-1393670457_thumb.jpg

I have an old Commodore PET that has a couple of dongle things, does anyone know what their function is?

I know there are a few I.T gurus on here so I thought it would be a good place to ask.

Edit to add

As I recollect, the original meaning of "dongle" from this period was a bit of hardware for use as copyright protection. You could only run a particular piece of software if the dongle was plugged in. Other than that it had no function. Nowadays, though, dongle tends to mean any small device that you plug into a computer to extend its functionality.

Edit to add

My area of speclialisation I think...

The port you are talking about is the tape port - normally for tape drive input. It can also be used to attach dongles such as the ones that you have. As already mentioned, they are almost certainly part of a copy protection system; they will contain a critical chunk of code on a ROM chip that some program required to work.

You have a nice old machine there. Keep it warm and away from condensation (the cases rust, and the boards corrode), and it will last you. I learnt that the hard way; a CBM 8032 was the first classic computer I ever bought, and the only one I broke by not looking after the storage properly!

Thanks for the replies guys :)

It's for sale if anyone is interested (not sure if that's allowed under forum rules) :ph34r:

WP_20140301_08_36_57_Pro.jpg

post-14468-0-24510500-1393681510_thumb.jpg

It's for sale if anyone is interested (not sure if that's allowed under forum rules) :ph34r:

i used to code for the vic-20 on a commodore pet + 5/14" floppies (no hard disks then).

Great machines in their time. I remember the Pet bible was a book called "Programming the CBM/Pet" by Raeto West.

when the company went bust, i managed to buy a couple of their Pet 4040 twin-floppy drive units (for £20 apiece iirc), which i sold later on Loot for 400 quid each!

d4040f.jpg

... and they might still be worth that now, from scarcity.

Yours appears to be the "Porsche" Pet. i imagine some digital agency or other in Farringdon would buy it as an ironic office ornament.

good luck with the sale.

ps. The Pet is the only machine I ever heard of that could be physically damaged via software. On at least one of the models, there was a poke you could do to a register that would result in smoke coming out of the back of the machine!

i used to code for the vic-20 on a commodore pet + 5/14" floppies (no hard disks then).

Great machines in their time. I remember the Pet bible was a book called "Programming the CBM/Pet" by Raeto West.

when the company went bust, i managed to buy a couple of their Pet 4040 twin-floppy drive units (for £20 apiece iirc), which i sold later on Loot for 400 quid each!

... and they might still be worth that now, from scarcity.

Yours appears to be the "Porsche" Pet. i imagine some digital agency or other in Farringdon would buy it as an ironic office ornament.

good luck with the sale.

ps. The Pet is the only machine I ever heard of that could be physically damaged via software. On at least one of the models, there was a poke you could do to a register that would result in smoke coming out of the back of the machine!

Thanks.

Mr B says he has one.

:)