House Price Crash Forum

Blackpool's Once-Proud Hotels Sit Boarded Up As A Sad Reminder Of The Seaside Town's Faded Glory Days

HOLA441
HOLA442

Blackpool was built before the car was king. Many of those redundant hotels should be turned into reasonably priced car parks.

I quite like the place, the decay doesn't bother me and I prefer my holiday spend to go into British pockets. North Wales this summer but once the grandkids are a little older I want to take them to Blackpool to get an eyeful of stuff like this:

HOLA443

I took my younger son there a few years back so he could see where I used to go on holiday when I was his age and thought pretty much the same thing. I certainly see the need for renovation there - it's a total sh1t-hole - but they seem to be determined to kill off many of the things that are unique about the place. I see no reason why Blackpool couldn't be much like Brighton with the right guidance. Allowing half of those cruddy old hotels and guest houses on the promenade to be turned into flats and houses would be the absolute best place to start I think.

Blackpool has an architectural inheritance in the art deco neo classical North shore promenade infrastructure, further neo classical delights in Stanley park, Victorian piers, especially the North pier and the Winter Gardens. And the aforementioned vintage working tram system. Just the type of heritage which has printed prosperity for London and Brighton.

But the Blackpool planners have just destroyed the place. Money ploughed into ripping up the unique tram system, and instead of preserving the old have gone on a reckless spree of paving the south promenade and decorating it with disco balls etc . Where has this got the South Shore, something resembling Detroit.

Unbelievable planning stupidity of the highest order.

HOLA444

Blackpool has an architectural inheritance in the art deco neo classical North shore promenade infrastructure, further neo classical delights in Stanley park, Victorian piers, especially the North pier and the Winter Gardens. And the aforementioned vintage working tram system. Just the type of heritage which has printed prosperity for London and Brighton.

But the Blackpool planners have just destroyed the place. Money ploughed into ripping up the unique tram system, and instead of preserving the old have gone on a reckless spree of paving the south promenade and decorating it with disco balls etc . Where has this got the South Shore, something resembling Detroit.

Unbelievable planning stupidity of the highest order.

I don't know why you're so damning.

It must be an ideal place to live on $6000 a year.

HOLA445

I don't know why you're so damning.

It must be an ideal place to live on $6000 a year.

That's another way of looking at it. Failure means it is an ideal place to live for diddly squat. The antithesis to London whilst getting all the benefits of the NHS and being able to pick up a house for 20k.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

This is the only good thing Blackpool does every year :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLz4Bs_XgLo

B)

Whatever people have to complain about Blackpool council, it could be worse, they could have Morecambe council.

The 5000+ punk rockers brought £1m+ from all over the world into the Morecambe economy but the council lost them to Blackpool since 2002 because of giving in to market traders that didn't want to close the markets for 3 days a year.

The punks are quite happy by all accounts having everything under one roof in the Winter Gardens saves them having walk anywhere, after all most of them are pensioners now. :P

http://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/news/local/punk-row-divides-the-independents-1-1166569

HOLA4411

Another real annoyance with Blackpool is the sensitivity of the speed cameras within the city.

If you exceed 32 mph you are flashed. The cabbies there hate it.

Better just stick to 30 then, or am I missing something?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Another real annoyance with Blackpool is the sensitivity of the speed cameras within the city.

If you exceed 32 mph you are flashed. The cabbies there hate it.

It sounds extremely desperate to raise money. That, the general dilapidation and the parking difficulties mentioned earlier.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4414

The Blackpool business community still talks like they are in the 1960's. Constantly bleating on Radio Lancashire they are too cheap and therefore attracting the wrong type of people. Yes that's right, people aren't going because it's not expensive enough. Drink prices are too cheap, despite the town centre bars being almost at London prices.

The phrases "value for money", or "customer service", never occur.

Blackpool businesses have this God-given right to your money.

Don't get me started on what has happened to the Pleasure Beach over the last few years. 40 minute queues for every ride completely killed it for me, and more importantly for the kids with us.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

As Yogi Berra said, "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded"

I think I was unduly negative in my previous post in some ways. Also the negative belief that no-one is going to Blackpool anymore is patently not true of the Pleasure Beach. This is stil the No.1 UK tourist attraction I believe.

The problem stems from the wristbands. Back in the day, you paid cash for each ride, or later on bought tickets for classes of rides. There was an incentive for the owners to keep rides open and keep the customer throughput going.

With the wristbands, this incentive is gone. Most rides do not open until midday, and the place is closing down by teatime. Plus, you now end up queuing for 30 minutes plus to even get in the park -previously of course you simply wandered in and out uncontrolled.

We loved BPB as kids, but I fear that the next generation will get bored with the queues.

Having said all this, whenever we've stayed in Blackpool we've actually enjoyed it ! It's not as bad as you think when you get there. When I was complaining about the Blackpool business community, what I said was generally true, but there are exceptions. One of these was the hotel we stayed in on the front, the staff are fantastic, but the place is also value for money.

HOLA4419
Guest TheBlueCat

It's not as bad as you think when you get there.

Great new advertising slogan:

Blackpool, not as bad as you think...

HOLA4420

Whatever people have to complain about Blackpool council, it could be worse, they could have Morecambe council.

The 5000+ punk rockers brought £1m+ from all over the world into the Morecambe economy but the council lost them to Blackpool since 2002 because of giving in to market traders that didn't want to close the markets for 3 days a year.

The punks are quite happy by all accounts having everything under one roof in the Winter Gardens saves them having walk anywhere, after all most of them are pensioners now. :P

http://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/news/local/punk-row-divides-the-independents-1-1166569

LOL - pensioners my ****

This band have just been announced at Rebellion so Fang is a happy bunny

HOLA4421