House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
winkie

Royal Mail To Raise Stamp Prices

The price of a first-class stamp is to increase by 2p to 62p while a second-class stamp will go up 3p to 53p, Royal Mail has announced.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26385173

How long before there will no longer be 1st and 2nd only one expensive first, is there other competition out there or do they hold the monopoly on the letters market? :unsure:

The price of a first-class stamp is to increase by 2p to 62p while a second-class stamp will go up 3p to 53p, Royal Mail has announced.

How long before there will no longer be 1st and 2nd only one expensive first, is there other competition out there or do they hold the monopoly on the letters market? :unsure:

Its my mother-in-laws 83rd birthday today......

yesterday it cost her £1.09 per oversized card from her postman to gain possession of 7 of her birthday cards i.e. well over £7.00

........all cards were from elderly relatives

Outrageous!

Its my mother-in-laws 83rd birthday today......

yesterday it cost her £1.09 per oversized card from her postman to gain possession of 7 of her birthday cards i.e. well over £7.00

........all cards were from elderly relatives

I received my first "e-card" about 3-4 years ago and until I left the UK last year, had got to the point at which I sent and received most of my greetings cards (apart from the ones that didn't need to be posted, e.g. given to colleagues and local friends) that way.

Yet another example of how, with every price hike and deterioration of the service quality, people look for, and find, ways to avoid doing business with Royal Mail.

It seems to me that about the only market sector in which they still have an edge over the competition is in the delivery of small and light objects bought online to rural addresses.

About the only time I buy cards is when I like the picture and want it for myself.*

That aside, I just found a couple of packs of first class stamps the other day that must have been knocking around for years (the ones that just say "1st Class" rather than a price). Do they remain valid indefinitely?

1924532_749089038442363_1623159646_n.jpg

About the only time I buy cards is when I like the picture and want it for myself.*

That aside, I just found a couple of packs of first class stamps the other day that must have been knocking around for years (the ones that just say "1st Class" rather than a price). Do they remain valid indefinitely?

1924532_749089038442363_1623159646_n.jpg

Yes I believe all stamps are eternally valid.

I got a packet the other week, it had an amusing collection of special edition stamps from the 1980s, which collectively added up to the current large letter rate.

The sooner there is greater competition in the letters and small packets market the better. The year on year stamp price rises are a joke! Of course, it can't be down to inflation. That's only 1.9%! :huh:

The French postal service manages to deliver first class any shape letters (<20g) for €0.63 (~51p) to an area that is twice as big and much less densly populated.

It is amazing how expensive and inefficient UK ex-nationalized businesses are.

Edited by vin rouge

The French postal service manages to deliver first class any shape letters (<20g) for €0.63 (~51p) to an area that is twice as big and much less densly populated.

Is La Poste still state owned?

The USPS manages to do so for 49 cents (up recently from 46, which caused a huge row) - 29p, to an area several times as big. If you were to post a letter from Maine to Hawaii, it would travel around 5,000 miles.

The USPS also made a loss of $5bn last year, though.

Rising prices are good if you bet the right way.

Most people bet up rather than down, and stable prices are no good either.

This is how this world works. Bet with the crowd.

It is amazing how expensive and inefficient UK ex-nationalized businesses are.]

Sorry to break this to you but Royal Mail will let you post a first class letter up to 100g for 60p.

La Poste will charge you an eyewatering 1.65 euros or £1.35 for a 100g letter.

If you send a letter using La Poste that weighs 21g then the price is 1.10 euros or 90p.

You should work for the UK government as you have a great talent for misleading people.

It is amazing how expensive and inefficient French nationalized businesses are!

Edited by MSE refugee