House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

davidg

Payback Time For The Swiss

The European Union has reacted to the 9th February vote by the Swiss to restrict immigration by firing a warning shot across the bows of the Swiss government. Switzerland has been suspended from the pan-European Erasmus student exchange programme and from the research programme Horizon 2020. The EU hopes to send a message to the "elites" that actions have consequences.

The European Union has reacted to the 9th February vote by the Swiss to restrict immigration by firing a warning shot across the bows of the Swiss government. Switzerland has been suspended from the pan-European Erasmus student exchange programme and from the research programme Horizon 2020. The EU hopes to send a message to the "elites" that actions have consequences.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't suppose this will have the Swiss pissing in their proverbials.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't suppose this will have the Swiss pissing in their proverbials.

They're quite upset about the Erasmus program in Geneva, but then, in Geneva they voted against the restriction of immigration.

What the EU really need to do is threaten to back up the Americans and put more pressure on the Swiss banking secrecy laws, now THAT makes the Swiss take notice.

Only a matter of time. The EU's recent history has been defined by threatening the greeks and irish, its about time they threatened someone actually outside the EU!

Wont threaten the yanks, they have nukes. Maybe the swiss should get some nukes and aim them at brussels...

What the EU really need to do is threaten to back up the Americans and put more pressure on the Swiss banking secrecy laws, now THAT makes the Swiss take notice.

And their response would probably be to tighten up their secrecy laws again. If they did so, the amount of money they would make handling the affairs of everyone from Al Queda types to El Chapo would probably ensure that the Swiss had the last laugh.