House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ill_handle_it

Sending A Phone Back To Amazon.

Okay so I finally decided to get a new mobile and chose the HTC One over the Nexus 5 and LG G2. At the time I thought I'd actually bought from Amazon (and now they appear to be defaulted to Amazon as opposed to the market place seller I was unfortunate enough to use) but the phone was finally supplied by GameCyberShop.

The delivery time was listed as 3/4 working days and this period came and went. However, an email initially suggested it had been dispatched and would arrive between the 27/02 and the 20/03 wtf. So I emailed the seller and almost immediately I received notification that it would arrive today. There was no explanation - so I assume if I had not asked it wouldn't have arrived today but perhaps sometime before the 20/03. I can't say for sure.

Anyway the box has been resealed and the brushed aluminium back has marks on it, The box wasn't shrink wrapped and the warranty card is for Hong Kong. I powered up the phone and it doesn't have obvious signs that it's been changed from a carrier to sim-free but I'm no expert. I've emailed the seller asking for a return but thus far nowt.

Any advice on what might occur and where I stand legally please ? Thanks in advance.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000NTBLV0/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Please tell you paid for this on either debit/credit Visa or Mastercard?

If so you should be fully covered, but you will have demonstrated you took all necessary steps with Amazon first to recover your money.

If you get no where with Amazon you'll need to contact your card provider and raise a dispute.

I've done this in the past, the last time I did it was over a suite that frankly was a piece of crap and the shop wouldn't acknowledge any fault so I took the dispute up with my Mastercard provider and got a full refund.

Bought as new I presume?

Okay so I finally decided to get a new mobile and chose the HTC One over the Nexus 5 and LG G2. At the time I thought I'd actually bought from Amazon (and now they appear to be defaulted to Amazon as opposed to the market place seller I was unfortunate enough to use) but the phone was finally supplied by GameCyberShop.

The delivery time was listed as 3/4 working days and this period came and went. However, an email initially suggested it had been dispatched and would arrive between the 27/02 and the 20/03 wtf. So I emailed the seller and almost immediately I received notification that it would arrive today. There was no explanation - so I assume if I had not asked it wouldn't have arrived today but perhaps sometime before the 20/03. I can't say for sure.

Anyway the box has been resealed and the brushed aluminium back has marks on it, The box wasn't shrink wrapped and the warranty card is for Hong Kong. I powered up the phone and it doesn't have obvious signs that it's been changed from a carrier to sim-free but I'm no expert. I've emailed the seller asking for a return but thus far nowt.

Any advice on what might occur and where I stand legally please ? Thanks in advance.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000NTBLV0/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No idea where you stand legally, however I have always had success with the Amazon refund process.

Normally I send an email to the vendor with the issues, then if no immediate joy (i.e. the issue a full refund, which of course never happens) I send it over to Amazon.

1. Take photos of the phone and packaging, everything.

2. Raise a dispute with Amazon telling them what you have told us.

3. Contact your card company and inform them so they are aware just in case they have some notification deadline on this kind of thing.

Best of luck.

4. Nexus 4 was £240.00 on Hotukdeals this week.

Edit:

Oops, I meant the Nexus 5 - £240.00 at Carphone Warehouse according to Hotukdeals.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/google-nexus-5-carphone-warehouse-sim-free-any-colour-free-delivery-240-cpw-1833808

Thanks for the nfo - I'll raise a retail dispute with my Amazon credit card (BOA) and see what transpires. Thanks also for the nfo on the N4. I'll post the outcome here.

And yes the unit was bought "new".

This makes me think of this thread:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=195940&st=0&p=1102447078&hl=consumer%20law&fromsearch=1entry1102447078

In the end I bought directly from Apple after someone pointed that out to me - it didn't occur to me to go and look :)

However my key point was - if the bank statement says "AMAZON.CO.UK" then the seller is Amazon. The fulfiller might be someone else, but in a card chargeback, the money is pulled back from Amazon. Because they're the recipient of the funds. And as such, they're the seller and it doesn't matter what they might try to assert. The payer is the customer and the payee is the seller, no...?

This one has always had me wondering about the consumer law side of things as the documentation on the Amazon site relating to this states something completely different.

Perhaps Amazon ought to move into the estate agency business.

"I bought this house from Amazon. At least I though it was from Amazon. Turns out someone had slept in the bed and p1ssed in the toilet before me. It also looked nothing like the internet photos. It cost me £500,000 which of course I put on my Visa. Can I get a refund?"

You should get your money back no problems as you're covered under distance selling regs within 7 days. Just notify them you are returning it under these rules. I returned a Nexus 4 back to Google this way as I didn't like it with no issues.

This makes me think of this thread:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=195940&st=0&p=1102447078&hl=consumer%20law&fromsearch=1entry1102447078

In the end I bought directly from Apple after someone pointed that out to me - it didn't occur to me to go and look :)

However my key point was - if the bank statement says "AMAZON.CO.UK" then the seller is Amazon. The fulfiller might be someone else, but in a card chargeback, the money is pulled back from Amazon. Because they're the recipient of the funds. And as such, they're the seller and it doesn't matter what they might try to assert. The payer is the customer and the payee is the seller, no...?

This one has always had me wondering about the consumer law side of things as the documentation on the Amazon site relating to this states something completely different.

There are always two things to consider here, what the legal position is and how much hassle it will be to sort out when it goes tits up.

I'm in shock

I've just an email from Amazon stating I need to return the item to here :

YU HUI FAI

Rm 904, 9/F Wealth Commercial Centre

42-56 Kwong Wa Street

Mong Kok

Kowloon

Phone: 69000177

The seller didn't respond at all.The email from Amazon initially looked okay :

Thanks for using Amazon.co.uk’s online Returns Centre.

The following link will take you to a page on Amazon.co.uk where you'll be able to print your mailing label:

https://www.amazon.co XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The page will contain instructions for printing your return authorization, printing your label, and preparing your package for return shipment.

If clicking on the link doesn't seem to work, you can also copy and paste it into your browser's address window, or you can retype it there.

You'll receive an e-mail notification when your refund (where applicable) is processed. You should expect to receive your refund within four weeks of sending your return. In many cases, you'll receive a refund more quickly.

See our Returns Policy for details:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/displayXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.co.uk

How much is going to cost and how long should I expect for this to turn around ?

Still in shock :o

I would reply to Amazon, demanding a UK address to which you can return the phone, on the basis that you bought it from a UK-based retailer, and that is who the contract of sale is with. If they then want to send it back to xxxxxxxxx, that's their choice. If they decline to provide a UK address, you will then seek a refund through your card issuer, on the basis that the retailer sold you misprepresented goods and then acted unreasonably then when asked to make redress.

It's not unreasonable for you to foot the bill for returning it to a UK address - after all, if you'd bought it to a high street shop, it would be up to you to get yourself there to return it. But requiring you to return something bought in the UK from a retailer operating in the UK to an overseas address is unacceptable.

OFFENSIVE WORD REMOVED BY MODERATOR

I would reply to Amazon, demanding a UK address to which you can return the phone, on the basis that you bought it from a UK-based retailer, and that is who the contract of sale is with. If they then want to send it back to xxxxxxxxxxx that's their choice. If they decline to provide a UK address, you will then seek a refund through your card issuer, on the basis that the retailer sold you misprepresented goods and then acted unreasonably then when asked to make redress.

It's not unreasonable for you to foot the bill for returning it to a UK address - after all, if you'd bought it to a high street shop, it would be up to you to get yourself there to return it. But requiring you to return something bought in the UK from a retailer operating in the UK to an overseas address is unacceptable.

+1

I followed the advice given here and contacted Amazon Customer Services (CS) and advised them that I had been given instruction to send the unit back to Hong Kong and that I was unhappy with the arrangement. Sometime later I received a somewhat automated reply stating that they (Amazon) would refund my postage costs and gave links to their T&C's. At the end of the email was a box asking if this solved the situation. I obviously clicked NO and another box appeared asking how I would like to be contacted and I chose by phone and NOW. My phone rang immediately and a CS agent apologised for the previous email and confirmed the seller MUST legally provide a UK address for a return but they are of course free to ship from wherever. The agent then sent an email to the seller (I was copied in) telling them to send me a UK address. As yet no response but they have been given 3 days to comply. The CS agent was very helpful and I feel confident that the situation will resolve quickly now. I did note that when I purchased the item the delivery time scale was 3/4 working days and that I thought this was misleading ie a UK phone not HK.

I could have purchased a reboxed HK warranty phone from Value Bucket for much less but believed the Amazon one was UK spec and new.

Thanks again.

I followed the advice given here and contacted Amazon Customer Services (CS) and advised them that I had been given instruction to send the unit back to Hong Kong and that I was unhappy with the arrangement. Sometime later I received a somewhat automated reply stating that they (Amazon) would refund my postage costs and gave links to their T&C's. At the end of the email was a box asking if this solved the situation. I obviously clicked NO and another box appeared asking how I would like to be contacted and I chose by phone and NOW. My phone rang immediately and a CS agent apologised for the previous email and confirmed the seller MUST legally provide a UK address for a return but they are of course free to ship from wherever. The agent then sent an email to the seller (I was copied in) telling them to send me a UK address. As yet no response but they have been given 3 days to comply. The CS agent was very helpful and I feel confident that the situation will resolve quickly now. I did note that when I purchased the item the delivery time scale was 3/4 working days and that I thought this was misleading ie a UK phone not HK.

I could have purchased a reboxed HK warranty phone from Value Bucket for much less but believed the Amazon one was UK spec and new.

Thanks again.

Good progress.

Good progress.

Yes, amazon sorted me out against a bad seller once, I think they are pretty good from that POV

My advice would be to always notify the seller by email/in writing that you are exercising your right to cancellation under distance selling regulations, within 7 days of receipt.

People get bogged down in faulty/damaged issues and not wanting to pay the cost of return but, distance selling regulations are the best and least legally equivocal protection consumers have for online purchases and very few take advantage of them.

My advice would be to always notify the seller by email/in writing that you are exercising your right to cancellation under distance selling regulations, within 7 days of receipt.

People get bogged down in faulty/damaged issues and not wanting to pay the cost of return but, distance selling regulations are the best and least legally equivocal protection consumers have for online purchases and very few take advantage of them.

Thanks - the seller responded and asked for photos of the "defects" before they would provide a UK addy (cheeky *****). Customer services called me shorty after stating that the photos are not necessary for the reason you have outlined. It's now been escalated to an A-Z claim so I have to wait for the seller to respond,again..........

Looks like things started to become sane after you switched from interacting with a computer to a human. Hopefully the end result of this is that Amazon will vet the third-party resellers it hosts on its site a little more carefully.

Personally I'm prepared to put up with a little bit of this cr@p on Ebay transactions: the unspoken deal is that in exchange for the cheapest prices out there, things occasionally go wrong. Furthermore, it is transparent whether you're buying from someone in the same country or not. With Amazon, however, you pay a little more for what should be an easier experience if the transaction goes wrong.

Well the plot thickens ! Two days ago the seller (after being told by Amazon to provide a prepaid UK address) then contacted me again stating they could not provide the address unless I sent photos of the item. Shortly after customer services called me again stating it was not necessary to provide photos and I should wait for the prepaid return details by post which should arrive in 3 days. However, the seller then contacted me again stating they could not provide the address unless I confirmed the defects with the item. Customer services called back again and told me to ignore this email stating the seller was aware of the reasons it was being sent back. Incredibly the seller contacted me again and said it wasn't possible due to terms and conditions to return the item to the UK and it must be sent to the original Hong Kong address. Customer services then called again told me to ignore any emails and not to send it anywhere including a UK address until they told me to do so as an investigation was taking place and that it may take until the 18/03 before the situation was resolved.

Well the plot thickens ! Two days ago the seller (after being told by Amazon to provide a prepaid UK address) then contacted me again stating they could not provide the address unless I sent photos of the item. Shortly after customer services called me again stating it was not necessary to provide photos and I should wait for the prepaid return details by post which should arrive in 3 days. However, the seller then contacted me again stating they could not provide the address unless I confirmed the defects with the item. Customer services called back again and told me to ignore this email stating the seller was aware of the reasons it was being sent back. Incredibly the seller contacted me again and said it wasn't possible due to terms and conditions to return the item to the UK and it must be sent to the original Hong Kong address. Customer services then called again told me to ignore any emails and not to send it anywhere including a UK address until they told me to do so as an investigation was taking place and that it may take until the 18/03 before the situation was resolved.

Well, at least it sounds as if Amazon have your back so just put up with things for a while longer. It clearly is not fit for the purpose it was sold.

Sounds like you got a good result.

There's still the point about initially being given a returns address overseas. That ought not to have happened.

Amazon were actually a day late with a delivery last week. That in itself is remarkable. The fact it notices, shows perhaps how we perceive the trustworthiness of the companies with which we deal and how important that it to us - and how the retailer loses that at their peril.

I got a full refund eventually and had to email customer services again for reimbursement for postage. Initially customer services suggested the postage reimbursement was not thier problem and it was at the discretion of the seller. They also rejected my claim for compensation stating the agreement was with the seller. Eventually I got back £20 for postage which was a bit more than I paid. I left bad feed back and noticed some people moaning about sending stuff back to Hong Kong (but they actually did). Also left a full review of the product but Amazon haven't posted it as the terms now state "product review only". My negative feedback lost in a sea of "ace product" etc etc. Nothing will change.