House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bemusedmover

Phone Hacking Senstionalism......

Why is the media allowed to continue describing this practice as "hacking"?

hacking is a procedure involving using back-door code or password cracking, etc....

the "very dodgy" journalists (and others) merely entered the standard network pin-code used when accessing a mobile phones voicemail from another phone - for example my network has set this at "0000" so knowing my mobile number allows you to access my messages!

do not get me wrong what has happened is despicable, but is definitely NOT hacking!

..................Rant over!

No it's not hacking, the sensationalism doesn't inform people that a simple change of code on your phone can stop any unwanted intrusion.

Fairly typical of the misuse of words and meaning these days.

I'm a phone hacker! Or was, in the 1990s when my pal had the same brand answerphone as me.

It was a laugh at first as I (and the rest of the gang) listened to messages from women. Then he started getting messages from men!

Turned out he'd been on the other bus all along. That was an OMG moment.

Fortunately, he saw the funny side and is still a pal.Just a pal, you understand.

I'm a phone hacker! Or was, in the 1990s when my pal had the same brand answerphone as me.

It was a laugh at first as I (and the rest of the gang) listened to messages from women. Then he started getting messages from men!

Turned out he'd been on the other bus all along. That was an OMG moment.

Fortunately, he saw the funny side and is still a pal.Just a pal, you understand.

:lol::lol:

Great story if true, and you're lucky he laughed.

Why is the media allowed to continue describing this practice as "hacking"?

hacking is a procedure involving using back-door code or password cracking, etc....

the "very dodgy" journalists (and others) merely entered the standard network pin-code used when accessing a mobile phones voicemail from another phone - for example my network has set this at "0000" so knowing my mobile number allows you to access my messages!

do not get me wrong what has happened is despicable, but is definitely NOT hacking!

..................Rant over!

Don't think it's been possible for a few years now. Pretty sure you can't use remote vm access until you've changed the pin but I could be wrong.

I agree and it's also why I find Rebekah Brooks statement that she didn't know it was illegal to be very plausible. I'm surprised their hasn't been more flak flying in the mobile phone companies' direction as this whole thing is basically due to them implementing such an open system in the first place.

flying in the mobile phone companies' direction as this whole thing is basically due to them implementing such an open system in the first place.

Most IT users are unable to remember their own names if it forms part of a Microsoft Windows domain logon.

Try asking the average chavette to remember an 8 character password containing one uppercase letter, a number and a 'special' character' for a vm password on their iFeminize!!?!