House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SpewLabour

Ni First Minister Demands Enquiry

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-26352967

Interesting. Looks like people in NI are beginning to wake up to the scale of concessions Blair made to terrorists...

Just in time for the cutting of financial support - aka bribes - to the to tribes over the next ten years. One the money tap is turned off, the troubles will restart. The communities are as divided as they ever were.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-26352967

Interesting. Looks like people in NI are beginning to wake up to the scale of concessions Blair made to terrorists...

What did they think Blair had done? Clearly concessions had to be made to get people to make "peace", however now the magic property bubble is bursting and the economic situation is declining the nasty tensions that are in NI are rearing there head again.

What did they think Blair had done? Clearly concessions had to be made to get people to make "peace", however now the magic property bubble is bursting and the economic situation is declining the nasty tensions that are in NI are rearing there head again.

Unfortunately, the concepts of 'negotiation' and 'compromise' are alien to Unionist politicians so they tend to get confused and angry when they see examples of said concepts in practice in the real world.

It's probably no surprise that the general NI situation improved during the property boom years but seems to have been festering along with the property market since 2007. Few places saw as stratospheric a rise in house prices as NI, since there was a combination of a 'peace dividend' lifting long-repressed prices, an overspill from the RoI's crazy house price boom and even GB investors coming over to pile in once the party got into full swing.

Anyway, NI is inherently 'broken' and little has been done to mend it. Transient HPI based wealth could only ever paper over the cracks.

Unfortunately, the concepts of 'negotiation' and 'compromise' are alien to Unionist politicians so they tend to get confused and angry when they see examples of said concepts in practice in the real world.

I guess this will be in Off-Topic shortly. But anyway, it's entirely understandable that the Loyalists tend to be upset by what you call compromise - when all the capitulation has been forced upon the Unionist side by the traitors in Westminster. All the Nationalists have done is stop killing innocent people & British soldiers & citizens. The Unionists have been expected to give up so much for Blair's secretive 'peace' deal. I love Northern Ireland, it is a part of my country & I am on the side of those who wish to keep it that way. And I truly remember the 20th July 1982 like it was yesterday.

I guess this will be in Off-Topic shortly. But anyway, it's entirely understandable that the Loyalists tend to be upset by what you call compromise - when all the capitulation has been forced upon the Unionist side by the traitors in Westminster. All the Nationalists have done is stop killing innocent people & British soldiers & citizens. The Unionists have been expected to give up so much for Blair's secretive 'peace' deal. I love Northern Ireland, it is a part of my country & I am on the side of those who wish to keep it that way. And I truly remember the 20th July 1982 like it was yesterday.

The trouble with NI is that there are too many effing dates that everyone remembers 'like it was yesterday'.

This sort of attitude is exactly what I was getting at.

Is Sour Mash saying that he would prefer a return to the Troubles?

The UK government let everyone off, so far as I can see, with the exception of a group that had escaped the judicial system - the so-called 'on the runs.'

These were supposed to be dealt with in a Bill proposed to Parliament, but Sinn Fein vetoed it because it would also cover British soldiers. That's the stinking hypocrisy of it - pardon the terrorists, but keep after those who served their country.

Just out of curiosity, are you from NI?

I suspect so, because, TBH, no one else gives a damn. It's like watching a stupid playground argument conducted with deadly force.

So if you think this kind of compromise and negotiation is a bad thing... what's the alternative? Never surrender! Never forgive! Never concede an inch to their demands!

That's going to solve everything quickly and efficiently I guess!

So if you think this kind of compromise and negotiation is a bad thing... what's the alternative? Never surrender! Never forgive! Never concede an inch to their demands!

That's going to solve everything quickly and efficiently I guess!

To end Islamic terrorism would you be happy to release

Lee Rigby's killers and allow them to be government ministers if elected ?

People in NI have accepted many unpalatable policies for peace , the main problem IMHO is that politics have not moved from peace building to normal issue based politics

To end Islamic terrorism would you be happy to release

Lee Rigby's killers and allow them to be government ministers if elected ?

People in NI have accepted many unpalatable policies for peace , the main problem IMHO is that politics have not moved from peace building to normal issue based politics

To truly end Islamic terrorism? Well, of course I would - I'm not a monster.

That aside, I look at the NI conflict and Ireland's history, and, TBH and in no way supporting terrorism, I'm on the Republican side. Despite acknowledging that the Middle East has problems in which we are complicit, that is not the case with the Islamic terrorists - I don't think the option for reasonable negotiation with them exists, and consequently they can go ****** themselves.

Compromise and negotiation are not dirty words in themselves, and when applied in cases of inter-generational hatred and violence, there are going to have to be some pretty radical compromises if it's going to work. The men involved will be dead within few decades, but if peace is achieved, it could last for generations. Murders were committed by both sides - another poster seemed to be complaining more about 'their' murderers getting off but not 'ours' - how does this get resolved except with an attempt at a clean slate?

If this is something you feel too close to, how do you feel about, say, the feuds in Sicily and similar? What do you think the various sides there should do? (not talking about Mafia, just straight-forward, long-running inter-family grudges)

<br />To end Islamic terrorism would you be happy to release <br />Lee Rigby's killers and allow them to be government ministers if elected ? <br /><br />People in NI have accepted many unpalatable policies for peace , the main problem IMHO is that politics have not moved from peace building to normal issue based politics<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Let them out. Why not? Neither would be alive 48hrs later.

To truly end Islamic terrorism? Well, of course I would - I'm not a monster.

That aside, I look at the NI conflict and Ireland's history, and, TBH and in no way supporting terrorism, I'm on the Republican side. Despite acknowledging that the Middle East has problems in which we are complicit, that is not the case with the Islamic terrorists - I don't think the option for reasonable negotiation with them exists, and consequently they can go ****** themselves.

Compromise and negotiation are not dirty words in themselves, and when applied in cases of inter-generational hatred and violence, there are going to have to be some pretty radical compromises if it's going to work. The men involved will be dead within few decades, but if peace is achieved, it could last for generations. Murders were committed by both sides - another poster seemed to be complaining more about 'their' murderers getting off but not 'ours' - how does this get resolved except with an attempt at a clean slate?

If this is something you feel too close to, how do you feel about, say, the feuds in Sicily and similar? What do you think the various sides there should do? (not talking about Mafia, just straight-forward, long-running inter-family grudges)

hahaha!!..this is where stuff gets interesting.

the IRA are basicaly backers of the pope and the stuarts( ie rule by divine right...it's kind of the house of saud/ayatollah khomeini of christendom)....which is sort of why they got kicked out in the first place...becasue they got to bolshy for their own good and rode roughshod over the commoners...and if we're going to get technical about it, both the royals and the priests have NEVER,EVER given up the idea that they rule...period.

that's why they are so opposed to the "reformaton", because that gave the commoners stuff like literature

the real curiosity about it, is why are the irish REPUBLICAN army supporting absolute monarchy/theocracy?....names can be a little deceptive can they not?

WAR IS PEACE.....

the real curiosity about it, is why are the irish REPUBLICAN army supporting absolute monarchy/theocracy?....names can be a little deceptive can they not?

WAR IS PEACE.....

The monarchy suggestion strikes me as very overblown, and even the theocracy assumption needs qualifying. Put it this way, I can imagine an atheist republican (small r) IRA member, but I can't really do the same for Al Qaeda.

Just in time for the cutting of financial support - aka bribes - to the to tribes over the next ten years. One the money tap is turned off, the troubles will restart. The communities are as divided as they ever were.

Well, there's an interesting point. Turn off the money tap, the economy crashes, then we see who really wants to live there. Could be the start of real peace?