House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Man Shoots Himself In The Head And Dies While Demonstrating Gun Safety

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/man-shoots-himself-in-the-head-and-dies-while-demonstrating-gun-safety-9153098.html

A man in the US accidentally shot himself in the head and died on Monday as he was trying to persuade his girlfriend that guns are safe.

The unnamed 36-year-old from Independence Township, Michigan, was demonstrating how his three handguns are safe when they are not loaded by holding them to his head and pulling the trigger, Detroit Free Press reported.

But when the third gun went off, the man was struck in the head with a bullet. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

An impressive attempt.

Perhaps checking the chamber is empty before pulling the trigger is an important part of gun safety?

It was always a source of great excitement while in the army, and while at the shooting range to see which dimwit would feck up unloading guns and which dimwit would still have a bullet in the barrel while doing the "pulling the trigger after the magazine was removed and barrel checked" to ensure there was indeed no bullet still in it.

You could always guess which one would mess it too.

Perhaps checking the chamber is empty before pulling the trigger is an important part of gun safety?

I think 'always assuming that a gun is loaded' and 'never pointing a gun at anyone anyway' are pretty high up there too.

I thought one of the rules was that you never point a gun at anyone (or yourself) even in jest.

Unless you are actually trying to shoot someone, of course.

a lot of naive folk assume that if you pull the magazine on an automatic weapon, it's empty.

even "experts" can make that mistake:

never point a gun at a person.

Why would anyone think that when obviously a round could already have been chambered?

Basic gun safety would assume that the gun is always loaded even if you know it isn't.

Never point a gun at anyone unless you intend to shoot them.

Isn't that still the rule? I learned that when I was 12, and was allowed to play with air rifles! :blink:

Bit like shotguns really always carry them "broken" :huh:

The unnamed 36-year-old from Independence Township, Michigan, was demonstrating how his three handguns are safe when they are not loaded by holding them to his head and pulling the trigger, Detroit Free Press reported.

Proof that not everyone should possess a gun I suppose. A gun is always loaded and never pointed at anything you don't want to kill.

The only positive here is that he killed himself and not someone else.

Natural selection is a bitch.

a lot of naive folk assume that if you pull the magazine on an automatic weapon, it's empty.

even "experts" can make that mistake:

never point a gun at a person.

I would hope that policeman was fired (no pun intended).

That's not a fit person to be in charge of a weapon.

Why would anyone think that when obviously a round could already have been chambered?

If you don't know anything about guns then you might think "bit with all the bullets isn't in now" and it might not occur to you that they would be anywhere else unless they're actually being fired. Of course anyone who did think that shouldn't be holding one anyway...

It was always a source of great excitement while in the army, and while at the shooting range to see which dimwit would feck up unloading guns and which dimwit would still have a bullet in the barrel while doing the "pulling the trigger after the magazine was removed and barrel checked" to ensure there was indeed no bullet still in it.

You could always guess which one would mess it too.

You make it sound like Negligent Discharges were a regular theme on the ranges when they weren't. I've only heard of a few happening and in my time on the ranges never witnessed such an event. Guess we must have been lucky and/or had vigilant instructors.