House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

Irish Ferries To Replace Most Of 543 Staff With Workers From E. Europe

Irish Ferries is planning to replace most of the crew of its 3 vessels that run between Britain and Ireland with cheaper East European workers. The ferry company is also attempting to re-register the ships to avoid paying the new staff the minimum wage.

Things came to a head on Thursday when Irish Ferries put more than 100 new E European workers on board the Isle of Inishmore at Pembroke and its sister ship, Ulysses, in Holyhead, N Wales. The E European workers who arrived to "get a feel for the ships', rather than crew them immediately, were accompanied by 30 security guards (who wore flak jackets and intimidated the on-board workers according to a TWF official).

Four officers barricaded themselves in the engine control room of the Pembroke Dock-Roslare ferry. The crew also refused to sail the Holyhead ferry to Ireland.

Edited by gruffydd

Irish Ferries claim that most of the British and Irish crew have accepted voluntary redundancy. They claim that the 'cost-reduction changes' are needed because of competitive pressures.

I am seeing this kind of thing happening in a large number of SMEs in Wales as well.

I wonder what this'll mean for house prices.

Edited by gruffydd

Oh, they won't go down, gruffydd. :rolleyes:

SME - Small / Medium Enterprise (I think)

Edited by megaflop

Heard a good one on a radio phone-in the other night. A trucker was commenting on Eastern European drivers being employed in the UK apparently some companies have done this big time and replaced their drivers, accident rates are up and now so are their insurance costs (if they can get insurance), also apparently a couple of lorries on trips to poland got to their destination never to return.

Quite a way to run an economy overall though - stuff the working with £100bn's of unecessary debt and then sack them and replace them with migrant workers who have little or no tie-in with the local cost base other than the cost of temporary lodgings which in many cases is cramped but free becuase it is provided by the employer.

Enough of this and there will be mass debt-defaults and serious political and civil order problems.

OnlyMe - A friend of mine is a recruitment officer for a haulage firm. She's been to Latvia recently to recruit about 50 people for the XMAS period. I'll see if she knows any stats on accidents! :lol:

Megaflop,

Latvia (as well as Poland) was the other contry specifically mentioned in the phone-in.

Libitina

Well you can imagine it - one job application and trip on false papers and you have a one-man transport company set up thanks to an angle grinder a set of stamps and a new set of number plates + whatever cash float for the consignment!

Anecdotally, I've noticed a lot more Eastern Europeans walking around the boot sales, here in Cheshire / Flintshire.

Judging from the locals body language, they seem to resent their presence in what is a low income area in these parts of North Wales & North Cheshire.

The East Europeans are easily distinguishable as they seem to talk quite loudly in their native language and buy quite a lot of cheap electrical goods at these markets.

The East Europeans are easily distinguishable as they seem to talk quite loudly in their native language and buy quite a lot of cheap electrical goods at these markets.

you could say the same about the welsh speakers who invade chester a couple of days a week speaking in their native language and buying cheap goods!!

only joking- as i am welsh

the don

Irish Ferries claim that most of the British and Irish crew have accepted voluntary redundancy.

Maybe they've all got other jobs lined-up, property development perhaps?

But seriously, it looks like no-one's job is safe in the new global marketplace. The UK & Ireland natives just can't compete on wages with the E. European immigrants, and anyone who isn't replaced with cheap or temporary labour is at risk of having their job off-shored. GB is also recommending 2% wage increases in the public sector next year because of rising oil prices, but the unions aren't going to like that. Public sector wage inflation this year was huge, compared to the private sector, and while private sector wages are likely to be impacted more next year, the ever-expanding public sector will get some form of protection from their unions, strike action etc.

Basically, it looks like a good time to be working for the government. It's a no-brainer - better wages/wage inflation, better job security, 'key worker' affordable-housing schemes, etc.

Basically, it looks like a good time to be working for the government. It's a no-brainer - better wages/wage inflation, better job security, 'key worker' affordable-housing schemes, etc.

Plus the risk free final salary scheme at 60 (or 55 if you're a nuisance) guaranteed by the state, not to mention the halo and the ability to say you're underpaid without a whimper from some quarters, like the BBC yesterday when Mark Serwotka said this repeatedly during an interview without question.

I hope someone in government is preparing the bill to be sent to Irish Ferries or whoever they are to compensate for the cost of the policing amd the unavailability of security staff to other more important work.

http://www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.a...0015-qqqx=1.asp

British police board Irish Ferries ship

27 November 2005 By Niamh Connolly and Pat Leahy

British police have boarded at least one of the Irish Ferries vessels at the centre of the stand-off over the company's plans to replace Irish jobs with migrant staff paid below the minimum wage.

Government sources said the British police had been in contact with Irish government officials and were informing them of developments aboard the Isle of Inismore at Pembroke, where four ships' officers have barricaded themselves into the control room.

It was also learned that the British Health and Safety Executive was examining whether a breach of its laws took place last Thursday evening, when security personnel were brought on board the ship allegedly disguised as passengers to implement the company's displacement plan.

I'm sure it was Stagecoach who were recruiting in Poland - because they couldn't get UK staff.

Certainly one bus company was covered on Newsnight I think.

Couldn't a UK operator relocate to Eastern Europe and take advantage of the cheaper fuel, lower cost of living, etc?

/btp

Guest Charlie The Tramp
But seriously, it looks like no-one's job is safe in the new global marketplace.

A dark future will finally lead to seasons of discontent among indigenous workforces in the original democratic western countries, leading to unstable economies with polticians taking the brunt of the backlash. Those still employed will support the new unemployed and benefit claimants by increases in personal taxation. The new low paid temporary workforce will be sending their money home.

Irish Ferries claim that most of the British and Irish crew have accepted voluntary redundancy. They claim that the 'cost-reduction changes' are needed because of competitive pressures.

I am seeing this kind of thing happening in a large number of SMEs in Wales as well.

I wonder what this'll mean for house prices.

HP's up.....

The staff will be forced to rent their houses to the EE's & will then need to move to other premises. Overall, a housing demand increase to acomodate the new population who won't just live on the boat.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

HP's up.....

The staff will be forced to rent their houses to the EE's & will then need to move to other premises. Overall, a housing demand increase to acomodate the new population who won't just live on the boat.

:blink:

Plus the risk free final salary scheme at 60 (or 55 if you're a nuisance) guaranteed by the state, not to mention the halo and the ability to say you're underpaid without a whimper from some quarters, like the BBC yesterday when Mark Serwotka said this repeatedly during an interview without question.

Beg to differ - I don't believe the economics or public opinion will allow for this 'retirement at 60' to fly - watch out for a U-turn..

HP's up.....

I thought it was a generally accepted view that many 'EE's' live several to a room, was there not a story a little while ago about many living in Caravan's, particularly in Wales, so they do not even enter the traditional housing loop in this case. This is done to max out the amount of money thay can send home.

Wouldn't the local population be a little resentful in cases like this as well, and perhaps choose not to rent to them ?

Chinese immigrants are known to have been crammed living for decades in the uk. As an anecdote, my father was doing building work in a Chinese Restuarant. He noticed they had a bed sharing shift system going. As an extreme, a previous Tv documentary on nightmare tenants had 18 Chinese people living in a 3 bed BTL.

I couldn't believe they had the cheek to refuse to leave unless they got their deposit back !

Of course, some of this type of living may be forced upon them, as landlords may discriminate

against them. Other Hpc posts have referred to some immigrants going back to their country of origin as soon as the work dries up.

Would it not be a danger from a landlords POV, that they may refuse to pay the last few months rent and then disappear and be untracable. This would seem a higher risk than other tenant groups.

Do you rent to any 'EE's' TTRTR?

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

I hope someone in government is preparing the bill to be sent to Irish Ferries or whoever they are to compensate for the cost of the policing amd the unavailability of security staff to other more important work.

Why? Should the law only be enforced if you can afford to pay for it?