House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

swissy_fit

Ben Fogles New Lives In The Wild

I've been enjoying it so far, some really interesting characters.

One very bizarre moment this week though - the chap living on an island in Panama, with a boat, wanted to buy fish from a shop a few km away, including tinned sardines, and didn't appear to own any fishing equipment. WTF, I thought, but no explanation was offered.......

I've been enjoying it so far, some really interesting characters.

One very bizarre moment this week though - the chap living on an island in Panama, with a boat, wanted to buy fish from a shop a few km away, including tinned sardines, and didn't appear to own any fishing equipment. WTF, I thought, but no explanation was offered.......

I thought that probably the water is so polluted you wouldn't want to eat fish caught there.

Enjoyable series so far. Particularly the ex Airforce guy in India, who 'couldn't live in society'. I totally understand his point of view.

Enjoying it too. Missed first two episodes. Episode 3, I thought Neil, the coconut farmer in The Phillipines was a bit edgey/Colonel Kurtz. Something not quite right there.

Episode 4, The guy who moved to Panama after selling his entire life on Ebay; great viewing. I definately wouldn't want to live on my own (ok his girlfriend arrived at some point) on a remote private island. Sort of place I'd be happy in for a few months, before getting desperately lonely. The show does reinforce that anyone can change their life completely, it's all about having the balls or desire to do it.

Enjoying it too. Missed first two episodes. Episode 3, I thought Neil, the coconut farmer in The Phillipines was a bit edgey/Colonel Kurtz. Something not quite right there.

Episode 4, The guy who moved to Panama after selling his entire life on Ebay; great viewing. I definately wouldn't want to live on my own (ok his girlfriend arrived at some point) on a remote private island. Sort of place I'd be happy in for a few months, before getting desperately lonely. The show does reinforce that anyone can change their life completely, it's all about having the balls or desire to do it.

I^ve just been reading a bit about that chap Ian Usher(have a little google), I was curious about the fishing (or lack of) - he hasn't exactly been spending all his time there, and it's all up for sale as well (for rather a lot more than he paid, he hasn't lost all English/Australian ideas).

Fair enough, but it means to me that his life is nothing like the others so far presented, who really have chosen life in the wild for good.

I^ve just been reading a bit about that chap Ian Usher(have a little google), I was curious about the fishing (or lack of) - he hasn't exactly been spending all his time there, and it's all up for sale as well (for rather a lot more than he paid, he hasn't lost all English/Australian ideas).

Fair enough, but it means to me that his life is nothing like the others so far presented, who really have chosen life in the wild for good.

Had a google, plus a gander at his Wiki page. Looking back, as soon as the programme started, my boyfriend did say "Oh here we go, he's one of those". Meaning he's a grade A attention seeker. Ebaying his house, belongings, including introduction to friends and even his job. Then he wrote a book about it = publicity. Then the 100 goals in 100 weeks, wing walking, red carpet at Cannes, standing on crown of Statue of Liberty etc. More publicity. He's written a book about Panama called "Paradise Delayed". Now you say he's done nicely out of some property/island HPI. Looks like the off grid lifestyle is another money spinner. Fair play though, he's not driving trucks anymore and it beats the 9-5.

I didn't watch it but I have been watching quite a few youtube videos about off-grid extreme frugal living.

Mark Boyle aka the Moneyless Man is in quite a lot of them. He's ok but strikes me as a bit of a self-publicist and evangelist.

There's also Daniel Suelo in the USA who's lived without money for 12 years or so. Penguin approached him to write his life story and he said he'd only do it if they gave the book away free!

There are also a lot of good vids about narrow boat living and a few about off grid, caravan living etc. It puts your own space issues into perspective - I'll never complain about living in a small flat after seeing how well some people cope in tiny caravans.