House Price Crash Forum
juvenal

Streets With Rude Names

I used to live near 'Hooker Road'. Nowhere near the red light district and property prices on that road were unaffected.

Cowsh1t Lane, Golant, Cornwall

Is life more fun when you live on a street with a funny name? Maybe so. In Golant, a small village in southwest England, some residents dwell on a lovely little block called Cowshit Lane.

“I live there and I have no objection to the name,” Golant Council Chairman Alistair Barr told the London Times recently.

According to a Reuters report, the street’s name became an issue when Golant decided to draw up a map for the town’s visitors. Apparently, some people felt that Cowshit Lane would leave a dark stain on their village’s sunny image. They suggested renaming the road Cowslip Lane, but in the end, Golant’s residents decided to stick with the original.

Resident and former Council Chairman Douglas Cooper told the Times, “I only wish I lived there, because I could put it on my headed notepaper.”

http://www.salon.com/2000/06/01/england_3/

In the town I grew up in (St Ives, Cambs) there is a road called Pig Lane. But when a new police station was built there in the 1970s they decided to rename that part of the road Broad Leys.

Unbelievable but true.

Link