House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bendy

Any Mobile Phone Enthusiasts Here

In the market for a new phone (for the last three years!)

On the net and review/compare sites I always seem to find a few that I like, then realise that the UK version never ever has a micro sd expandable space slot (aprt from the s4 which while I assume is very good, is a bit older now).

Now, I know exactly why this is but does anyone know any other phones that may be a bit newer and have an sd card expanadble memory (I can and have gone through 60gb+ of a morning more than a handful of times).

?

This one has got me interested, heart rate monitor included which I've always wanted while exercising and the ones I used to have (chest band, plastic watch strap) never lasted long.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2565033/Is-best-smartphone-Samsung-unveils-slick-Galaxy-S5-comes-super-fast-Wi-Fi-16MP-camera-fitness-features-including-built-heart-monitor.html

I would have bought a Google phone but the lack of an SD slot ruled it out for me. In the end I got a Galaxy Note 3 because it is one of the few phones that has an SD card slot and can record 4K video.

Galaxy note 2 - it's a beast. Sure, having it in your pocket doesn't work great as you always feel it's there. But for everything else it's brilliant.

The downside with the S4 (my wife has one) and Note 2 are the cameras - they're not great in comparison to my ancient Iphone 3gs I retired not long ago.

The S5 is coming out soon - you may want to wait for that. Water/dust proofness and 5 inch screen - with a supposedly better camera compared to the S4.

To take advantage of this low-cost, start-up mobile service, I recently bought a Samsung S2 on Ebay for $50. Because you can bring phones that were locked to Sprint and register them on FP, it's a very good deal - the phones themselves go for a lot less than the same model but unlocked (and furthermore, the "locking" is through the use of a proprietary model - the Sprint models don't even have SIM cards, and so you can't unlock them by entering a code).

As a former Blackberry user, I find the lack of a tactile keyboard to be effing annoying, but otherwise the phone is great. The camera in particular is astonishing - full 1080p H.264 at well over DVD bitrate, and not far off that of a BD. I've actually saved some footage on a card and then projected it on a 4K projector in a cinema, and while you can see the difference between that and footage shot on a "proper" camera (we compared the same shots taken with the phone and a Nikon D3200), the footage it captures would have been considered broadcast quality 4-5 yeas ago. And this isn't even the latest generation of the phone - it's two generations old! It will take a Micro SD/SDHC, but only with a maximum of 32GB capacity. The specs for the model I've seen online claim that it can take 64GB, but when I put a 64GB card in, it doesn't recognise it. Samsung have an official Android release of 4.1 (mine came from the Ebay seller with 2.something, but downloading and flashing the update ROM was very easy), and unofficial ones can be had up to 4.4 if you're willing to root the phone.

My only other complaint is battery life - it needs charging after 7-8 hours of even light use, whereas my BB would go for 2-3 days.

To take advantage of this low-cost, start-up mobile service, I recently bought a Samsung S2 on Ebay for $50. Because you can bring phones that were locked to Sprint and register them on FP, it's a very good deal - the phones themselves go for a lot less than the same model but unlocked (and furthermore, the "locking" is through the use of a proprietary model - the Sprint models don't even have SIM cards, and so you can't unlock them by entering a code).

As a former Blackberry user, Infind the lack of a tactile keyboard to be effing annoying, but otherwise the phone is great. The camera in particular is astonishing - full 1080p H.264 at well over DVD bitrate, and not far off that of a BD. I've actually saved some footage on a card and then projected it on a 4K projector in a cinema, and while you can see the difference between that and footage shot on a "proper" camera (we compared the same shots taken with the phone and a Nikon D3200), the footage it captures would have been considered broadcast quality 4-5 yeas ago. And this isn't even the latest generation of the phone - it's two generations old! It will take a Micro SD/SDHC, but only with a maximum of 35GB capacity. The specs for the model I've seen online claim that it can take 64GB, but when I put a 64GB card in, it doesn't recognise it. Samsung have an official Android release of 4.1 (mine came from the Ebay seller with 2.something, but downloading and flashing the update ROM was very easy), and unofficial ones can be had up to 4.4 if you're willing to root the phone.

My only other complaint is battery life - it needs charging after 7-8 hours of even light use, whereas my BB would go for 2-3 days.

My S2 lasts two or three days since I fitted an Anker 1900 mAH battery.

My S2 lasts two or three days since I fitted an Anker 1900 mAH battery.

S2 get a great rep

I understand that the current "Galaxy core" phone is a restyled s2 maybe with lower spec camera and screen

Comparison here

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-Core,Samsung-Galaxy-S-II/phones/7837,5106

(Galaxy core looks somewhat de optimised but still packing similar spec)

Anker batteries don't appear to be available for my variant of the S2 (SPH-D710), but the seller of this one claims specifically that it's "like Anker". So I've ordered one, and will report on its performance when it's arrived and been through a few charge/discharge cycles. Many thanks.