House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
longgone

Spend A Penny Or Two Or £410,000

Its great that local authorities are having to sell off things in order to pay the bills.

I understand that much of the motivation behind the recent upturn in planning approvals is the attraction of planning application fees and extra council tax payers.

Slllllloooooowwwwwllllleeeyyy heading in the right direction.

Next to cap council employees wages at £50k max and change their pension contributions to 5% max.

Here's a coffee and sandwich bar in Ramsgate.

fillers-coffee-bar.jpg

I've never popped in for a sandwich, possibly because I can remember popping in for a wizz when it used to be a public convenience. ;)

I worked on a film once - Daleks Invade Earth - with scenes set in the rubble of a bombed-out London. The rubble for the set came in on lorries from a contractor. With many tons of it strewn about, the lighting men lit 10KW lamps. The temperature rose, and rose.

A terrible choking smell of ammonia enveloped us workers until the shop steward called a halt on health grounds.

Turned out the contractor had just knocked down a big Victorian convenience in London, and shipped the tons of ancient, piss-soaked bricks down to us serfs on H stage in Shepperton Studios.

I think they sprayed it with something to kill the stench.

Looks like terrific value, especially since you get to share your plot with an electricity substation for no extra charge!

Thank goodness that all this money printing and lax fiscal policy hasn't led to prices shooting up.

I worked on a film once - Daleks Invade Earth - with scenes set in the rubble of a bombed-out London. The rubble for the set came in on lorries from a contractor. With many tons of it strewn about, the lighting men lit 10KW lamps. The temperature rose, and rose.

Interesting anecdote, that the second film with Peter Cushing in it as the Doctor?

Wow, £410,000 for a toilet. I suppose there must have been a nod and a wink about getting planning permission for a few flats or houses. Doesn't look like a huge amount of land though.

Yes, all about the land value, I don't imagine it will be too difficult to get planning permission to develop it as houses or flats.

Yes, all about the land value, I don't imagine it will be too difficult to get planning permission to develop it as houses or flats.

I can imagine the name for the block

"I live at number 14 in the Old Convenience"

Luxury apartments of course! It's win win because the sewerage system is already in place so when they squeeze em in battery chicken fashion there should be no problem getting rid of their waste.

Interesting anecdote, that the second film with Peter Cushing in it as the Doctor?

That's the one. I was a young stagehand, helping erect an area of bombed-out London containing the underbelly of the Daleks' mothership. A large ramp disgorged its evil cargo onto our wrecked streets. I used to see Peter Cushing sitting in a canvas-backed chair, silently learning his lines as we moved round him with cables, timber and junk of every sort. He wasn't a man who smiled much.

H stage was also where we built the huge crater for Kubrick's 2001- A Space Odyssey.

Luxury apartments of course! It's win win because the sewerage system is already in place so when they squeeze em in battery chicken fashion there should be no problem getting rid of their waste.

And they can leech free 'leccy from the substation using induction ... :lol: