House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
1929crash

The Us-Eu Treaty Which Enforces Privatisation

Imagine you introduced a government bill creating massive financial penalties for any policy which was not in the interests of corporations.

It would be the subject of fierce debate. But do it at an EU level and no-one even notices.

That surely is the most seductive aspect of the EU for governments and corporations: no-one cares what you get up to in Brussels.

Right now, late-stage negotiations are taking place between the EU and the US which would make it financially calamitous for a national state to do anything against the interest of corporations.

Hardly anyone even knows it is happening.

When it is passed, it will be the biggest bilateral trade deal in the history of mankind - and it will barely warrant a mention outside of the business pages.

It's called the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP). Inside it is an innocuous-sounding provision called the 'investor-state dispute settlement'. This allows private companies to sue nation states if they feel a law lost them money on their investment.

http://politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2014/02/24/comment-the-eu-us-treaty-which-enforces-privatisation

This is worse than EU membership.

.. and if you dare argue against it, that must mean you want to live in North Korea.

Only 38 views for this thread against 93 for the Ukraine thread which I posted later.

If HPCers aren't bothered, what chance the sheeple?

This is massive, probably the catalyst for the more recent development of a left-wing no argument to EU membership. Absolutely bonkers idea. The US health sector is probably salivating at the prospect, as well as the usual 'winners, no matter what the outcome' legal sector.

Yes, Max Keiser covered this a week or so back. though the MSM say its 'just a trade agreement' so obviously nothing to worry about.

Same on R4 yesterday, the Ukrainians must allow the IMF to help them (presumably by forcing debt bailouts on them in exchange for selling state assets for cents on the dollar to their cronies as they have done with much of south america and africa. Yes, the wonderful, altruistic IMF.

TBH, we know the people dont care. Even when the yanks were presented with a self funded, non-corrupted by third party interests, no-skeletons-in-his closet, billionaire like Ross Perot, who succinctly and concisely laid out the problems the american economy faced, at a level the average idiot could understand, they still voted for Clintoon or Bush.

This is massive, probably the catalyst for the more recent development of a left-wing no argument to EU membership. Absolutely bonkers idea. The US health sector is probably salivating at the prospect, as well as the usual 'winners, no matter what the outcome' legal sector.

Yep. Farage really isnt up to the task. He's good for daily mail level being merely being annoyed at the cost and waste of the EU, but its nefarious intentions go so much further.

On the other hand, if he explored the truth depths of EU depravity, he'd probably be branded more of a conspiracy type.

This is worse than EU membership.

Isn't it a direct consequence of EU membership? It is part and parcel of why it is bad. As the article says, "It would be the subject of fierce debate. But do it at an EU level and no-one even notices.", no accountability, welcome to the dictatorship of the EU.

Yep. Farage really isnt up to the task. He's good for daily mail level being merely being annoyed at the cost and waste of the EU, but its nefarious intentions go so much further.

On the other hand, if he explored the truth depths of EU depravity, he'd probably be branded more of a conspiracy type.

I think he knows. He was on infowars with Alex Jones being a bit more... daring than usual. :D

Only 38 views for this thread against 93 for the Ukraine thread which I posted later.

It's funny, I was going to post a topic on this earlier today, but got distracted with work commitments. I was going to title it something like "Trans Pacific Partnership - Shouldn't we be a little more concerned?!"

I guess I'm a bit behind on this, as it seems to have been in the news since late last year, but having only just heard about it I'm a little shocked that there isn't outrage and uproar, on here and elsewhere - it seems as though this has also bypassed many others too. It has been progressing under the utmost secrecy apparently, and for obvious reason by the looks of it.

A Corporatist power grab that seeks to undermine the sovereignty of nation states and disregard all social and environmental legislation that might stand in the way of private profit. Corporate responsibility? This really shows that for the fallacy that it is (always was?)...

I think this stands to be a real game changer.

Well, there is a sizeable faction on here that follows the 'Private Good, Public Bad' mantra. If private interests can overrule democratic governance, that's good, right?

I think the reason there isn't more reaction to it is that 1) it hasn't been publicised by the MSM and 2) even if there are enough people who understand its implications, what can they do?

Seems to me that everything the so called "conspiracy nuts" have been banging on about for decades comes to pass and the most interest you get is a disinterested sigh or "can you pass the salt please".

People know, deep down that they live in a benign dictatorship and are maintained in a state that's just comfortable enough for them not to complain or rock the boat. The world is heading towards a monolithic corporate technocracy under our noses and we're too busy arguing about irrelevancies or misdirecting our rage at the poor, unfortunate and weaker members of our society.

Private Eye have been reporting on this for yonks, as usual. I'd have thought that particuarly comic would have had a high circulation amongst those who appreciate news without the vested interest.

Private Eye have been reporting on this for yonks, as usual. I'd have thought that particuarly comic would have had a high circulation amongst those who appreciate news without the vested interest.

I thought "Private Eye" as more like a comic book for the Oxbridge educated intelligentsia. It has all the trappings of a posh university rag.

I thought "Private Eye" as more like a comic book for the Oxbridge educated intelligentsia. It has all the trappings of a posh university rag.

It usually breaks stories about a year ahead of the mainstream. It does have some pretensions to intelligence, which is itself subversive nowadays.. but I'd recommend it to any HPCer.

I think the reason there isn't more reaction to it is that 1) it hasn't been publicised by the MSM and 2) even if there are enough people who understand its implications, what can they do?

Seems to me that everything the so called "conspiracy nuts" have been banging on about for decades comes to pass and the most interest you get is a disinterested sigh or "can you pass the salt please".

People know, deep down that they live in a benign dictatorship and are maintained in a state that's just comfortable enough for them not to complain or rock the boat. The world is heading towards a monolithic corporate technocracy under our noses and we're too busy arguing about irrelevancies or misdirecting our rage at the poor, unfortunate and weaker members of our society.

+1, sadly. Sleepwalking to our dystopian future and won't realise until it's too late, probably. The old boiled frog metaphor again...

It usually breaks stories about a year ahead of the mainstream. It does have some pretensions to intelligence, which is itself subversive nowadays.. but I'd recommend it to any HPCer.

True enough. By the time the effects of the treaty are felt by anybody, it'll be too late to reverse. That's generally how these policies (which are planned decades in advance) go.

Well, there is a sizeable faction on here that follows the 'Private Good, Public Bad' mantra. If private interests can overrule democratic governance, that's good, right?

I've heard some whopping misrepresentations from lefties on this forum before, but this one is a real doozy. Thanks for the belly laugh!

I've heard some whopping misrepresentations from lefties on this forum before, but this one is a real doozy. Thanks for the belly laugh!

I don't think they get it. Because most people have been trained at birth through media mantras, repetition of untruths and the deliberate polarisation of any debate into a managed/manageable choice "acceptable" or officially supported alternatives, they don't see the bigger picture.

The biggest success of the elite has been to divide the world along artificially created boundaries of left-right. Thinking outside of this model gets you labelled as either a terrorist, conspiracy theorist or worse. From the sound of it, many posters on here were heavily influenced by the Thatcher years where privatisation was seen as positive and nationalisation negative (depending on perspective).

That was the limit of the debate. What the debate never mentioned was that effectively, there's not much difference between a public monopoly and a private monopoly except in title. It still boils down to the vital resources, utilities and infrastructure being controlled by a few people, where the public/private label is irrelevant. The key thing that is being missed, time and time again in any debate of this nature is that of centralisation.

It's centralisation of power that's the enemy, not whether it's publicly or privately owned. Even if something is publicly owned in title, it doesn't mean that you and I have a say in how it's run. The same applies to private concerns, where the only determinant in how it affects the population is government regulation. Unfortunately since government and corporate interests are now so intertwined, we have something which is more like fascism or corporatism. This is the worst of both worlds since power is ceded to corporations who manage the state (in this case, the EU) to ensure their interests are represented.

Edited by Pindar

Can member states veto it?

(I'm just asking about the legal position!)

Presumably, but who knows what horse trading goes on behind the scenes in the (closed to the public, I believe) Council of Ministers. That brake isn't accountable either.

There is a law of diminishing returns here for the corporations- the more power they strip from the state the less legitimacy that state has in the eyes of the people.

But it is to the state that the corporations look to maintain the 'stability' they need to function. So in a very real real sense they are ultimately sawing away at the branch upon which they are sitting.

Cameron looks impotent much of the time in the face of corporate power because he is impotent much of the time in the face of corporate power- and the same will be true of whoever succeeds him. The rise of UKIP is in part a reaction to this sense that the Government is no longer in control of the power structures that shape our lives.

Farage won't do anything I think

Hes always banging on about 'freetrade' etc without ever actually stopping to explain the implications of it

I would like someone to actually ask Farage what he thinks of every job being outsourced and whether 'free trade' is enough to warrant the millions of jobs lost because of it

Farage won't do anything I think

Hes always banging on about 'freetrade' etc without ever actually stopping to explain the implications of it

I would like someone to actually ask Farage what he thinks of every job being outsourced and whether 'free trade' is enough to warrant the millions of jobs lost because of it

He might. He's looking to make inroads into the Labour vote after all.