House Price Crash Forum
Harry Monk

What Class Are You?

I'm a lorry driver, so obviously I'm Working Class, but I was just wondering which Social Class my fellow HPC'ers consider themselves to belong to.

What Class are you? ;)

I'm a lorry driver, so obviously I'm Working Class, but I was just wondering which Social Class my fellow HPC'ers consider themselves to belong to.

What Class are you? ;)

I have to work to make enough money to live. Ergo I am working class, work is not a choice.

Some of my friends are independently wealthy. They are not working class, work is a choice.

I guess benefit class (includes pensioners) would be the other significant grouping I can think of.

I could go either way...

I own a pair of hand made leather shoes and a tuxedo

but

I own a pair of rigger boots and a baseball cap

Mum went to public school

but

Dad grew up in a council house

I wear a suit to work

but

I used to work in a factory

I've got a good income and savings

but

Rent my house

I read the Independent

but

I'll always read page 3 of somebody elses tabloid

etc... etc...

The trouble with this poll is that the classes are undefined.

I recommend http://wmbriggs.com/blog/?p=537 that reviews Paul Fussell's book Class: A Guide Through the American Status System.

I guess that Upper Class means "rich, established, aristocratic." You have to be born into or marry into this class.

Middle Class means "professional, anxious about rules, wanting to be 'proper,' chances of dying from a work-related accident are virtually zero, deals in intangible and abstract concepts

Working Class means "doing physical work outside an office, often wearing a uniform, can die from a work-related accident, manipulates objects and people in the real world

Lower Class: Those who have failed to get into / fallen out of the two classes above.

I recall someone once commenting that if you are an upper/working/lower class child, your friends will back you up if you get into trouble at school; whereas if you are middle class, you're on your own.

Edited by Odakyu-sen

Middle class by birth*, education and job, but this ain't the middle class my parents knew...

* well, sort-of, but my father was an eccentric, bi-sexual bohemian jazz singer, and my mother was a working-class model and night club hostess in Soho, so hardly card-carrying members of the bourgeoisie.

Angel 2nd Class.

I've been both lower and working class. Income-wise I'm now probably middle class - but still consider myself working class and even behave like lower class on occasion. One day I hope to say sayonara to having to work, but it's a little while off yet.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

Financially: non-working class as I could live off divis and interest.

Materially: non-middle class as I am too much of a frugalista and lack the accoutrements of new sofas, flash cars and expensive holidays.

Socially: non-upper class as I don't have a title or inherited landed estates.

So I have no idea what I am. But being rural at heart makes my view of these things slightly different.

There's been several threads on this subject over the years.

The jist of it is a lot of working class people think they are now middle class but if you've actually met real middle class people you'd know that these new style middle class people are in fact upper class sheeple.

When it comes to th view of the 1%-ers...we are all lower class.

I remember a routing from Billy Connolly saying something like how he was working class but now mingled with the upper class and that the working class and upper class were quite similar....it's the ****ING middle class that's the problem.

Sounds about right biggrin.gif

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

What Class are you? ;)

How can you be working class you are a managing director arn't you? :D

I am drining 7.5 ton for an agency. a few of the guys I have meet (agency drivers) have setup their own company.

do you know if this is worth while.

I earn upper middle class income, but have to work which makes me working clas in my book. middle class would be when I don't HAVE to work (hopefully 3-4 years away). upper class would be when my inherited assets meant I never had to work.

I earn upper middle class income, but have to work which makes me working clas in my book. middle class would be when I don't HAVE to work (hopefully 3-4 years away). upper class would be when my inherited assets meant I never had to work.

I don't think the definition of middle class has ever been not having to work. Traditionally (and over-simplifying) the upper class inherit property, the middle class buy property and the working class rent property. Obviously, along with a lot of other signifiers such as number of servants, that's no longer the case.

I have no class!

As others have said you are either working class (salariat/prole) or not. Gone are the days when a posh voice and red suede trousers put you firmly in the top category.

Class is no less a fantasy than religion. It gives people hope through social mobility in this life and not the afterlife (72 virgins).

Edited by longtomsilver2

Middle class by birth*, education and job, but this ain't the middle class my parents knew...

* well, sort-of, but my father was an eccentric, bi-sexual bohemian jazz singer, and my mother was a working-class model and night club hostess in Soho, so hardly card-carrying members of the bourgeoisie.

Must get me one of those velvet smoking hats!

Classless?

The 'Great British Class Survey 2013' identified seven classes in a new model apparently, don't think it ever took off.

Economic, Social and Cultural weightings.

The fact that 'Middle Class' still features in it, says to me that they got it wrong (or they enjoy considering there selves middle class)

My link

Elite

Established Middle Class

Technical Middle Class

New Affluent Workers

Emergent Service Workers

Traditional Working Class

Precariat

Edited by Andy T

When it comes to th view of the 1%-ers...we are all lower class.

I remember a routing from Billy Connolly saying something like how he was working class but now mingled with the upper class and that the working class and upper class were quite similar....it's the ****ING middle class that's the problem.

Sounds about right biggrin.gif

Yes, I remember that, very humorous (from Connolly) with an element of truth.

I`m working class.

Retired last year but will work if necessary before I turn 66. See no reason to do so unless we are hit by inflation though.

I live a good but simple life...

Council dweller.

Class has nothing to do with what job you have or how much money you have.

Agree, but that is when you consider class to be something you have rather than some category that others put you in.

Interestingly, those that prejudge based on some arbitrary category are lacking in class themselves. That works in either direction by the way. Inverse snobbery merchants on here, I'm looking at you :D

Don't think you can classify people that easily because you cross boundaries and most people are a mixture of all classes.....

My working class associations....

Friends on benefits

Holidays at Blackpool

My dialect

Use the word toilet not loo.

Go to Wetherspoons

Other class associations....

Professional work and owner occupied detached house

Think the word pardon (in the context of what?) is abhorrent and worse than c**t *

Sniffy about people who actually buy tabloid newspapers. (sure I'll link an article off the net)

* Because the Bourgeois try and correct the word what,

Edited by crashmonitor

Classless?

The 'Great British Class Survey 2013' identified seven classes in a new model apparently, don't think it ever took off.

Economic, Social and Cultural weightings.

The fact that 'Middle Class' still features in it, says to me that they got it wrong (or they enjoy considering there selves middle class)

My link

Elite

Established Middle Class

Technical Middle Class

New Affluent Workers

Emergent Service Workers

Traditional Working Class

Precariat

The homeownership force is strong with that one.

If you rent, despite having over 100k savings you get put in the Emergent Service Worker with anything like my social and cultural profile - a category described as having 'low scores for savings and house value'. Take on a massive mortgage however and presto chango I could become Technical Middle Class 'distinctive and prosperous'.