House Price Crash Forum
eric pebble

People Complaining They Can't Sell Their Houses In Northants

Just watch these people moaning about not being able to sell.....

They just don't want to face REALITY --- These places are actually worthless..... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03vq498/Inside_Out_East_17_02_2014/

Go 19.10 minutes in to the video.

WOW!!!! There are a couple there who thought they were going to get £400k!!!! They've had it on the market for SIX F*****G YEARS!!!!! - They put the price down all the way to £250k -- And STILL NO SALE!.

OK --- Sympathy -- SOME sympathy is due....... BUT FCS PEOPLE NEED TO WAKE UP!!!!!! THESE PLACES ARE JUST NOT "WORTH" WHAT PEOPLE THINK!!! THEY HAVE BEEN LISTENING TO TOO MUCH HYPE FOR THE LAST 5+ YEARS ---- :angry:

------

EDIT:

OH FCS!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: "THE PWOPERDEE MARKET IS GOING UP AGAIN"....... B0LL0X!!!

OH - AND THEY SHOULD HAVE RENTED THE F*****G PLACE OUT FROM THE START --- DURR!!.......... :angry:

------------

These people are just a bunch of BABIES!!! Screaming "Not Fair, Not Fair!!" --- Chucking their toys out of their playpens..... FCS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR... :angry: :angry:

Edited by eric pebble

OK --- Sympathy -- SOME sympathy is due....... BUT FCS PEOPLE NEED TO WAKE UP!!!!!!

More sympathy? HPCers are like human doormats with the sympathy.

They inherited it. Some sort of home in a retirement complex. Trying to sell at £400,000 ... dropped the price last Autumn for £250,000 and no buyers for 6 years... over £30,000 of costs/fees (£5K a year).

Cut the kin price till it sells.

Edited by Venger

Seriously, how can somebody get to that age and not have figured out that if you're not shifting something for sale then you're probably asking for more money than buyers are willing/able to pay? If anybody on the TV crew was in their 20s/30s I bet they were rolling their eyes at these heartbreaking tales of the woe suffered by people given a free house on top of the one they already live in. I loved the sense of injustice they felt at being "caught out" by a higher council tax intended to target owners of empty properties. They hadn't been caught out, they were exactly the type of people the policy is aimed at!

Important:

Can someone get that video up onto Youtube?? It's going to expire on iPlayer tomorrow ---

THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE CLASSIC!!! CLASSIC -- IT JUST SHOWS HOW DUMB AND STUPID THE WHOLE THING IS.....

Jesus H Christ.

This is a fantastic insight into the grasping 'money for nothing' attitude of the middle class boomer.

I was almost crying when I watched it! :P But it has a happy ending. They are now renting it to some stupid renter! Its money down the drain I tells ya! :blink:

Jesus H Christ.

This is a fantastic insight into the grasping 'money for nothing' attitude of the middle class boomer.

Yup.

Or as a middle class boomer would put it "We're not giving it away!"

More sympathy? HPCers are like human doormats with the sympathy.

They inherited it. Some sort of home in a retirement complex. Trying to sell at £400,000 ... dropped the price last Autumn for £250,000 and no buyers for 6 years... over £30,000 of costs/fees (£5K a year).

Cut the kin price till it sells.

Stick the interest rates up. Volume of sales would go way up :)

Who'd have thought that free money could be such a double-edged sword.

I am glad that I gave up caring a long time ago whether I own or rent a property. At the end of the day it's just a dry cave, Much happier.

Peter Kerruish said:

Is it a good idea to buy these retirement homes? The experience we have had is that my mother in law absolutely loved being there and there was never a question at the time when she lived there of there being a possible problem later. It never crossed our minds. Knowing what we know now, I think our advice would be quite clearly think very carefully about buying a property such as this with age restrictions as they are. Don't buy it unless you are happy that you can finance it being empty for many years before selling.

What a sick sentiment. So basically if he could do it again knowing what he knows now he would advise his mother in law not to buy a retirement place she "absolutely loved" in order to avoid the running costs he later had to pay because he wasn't willing to accept the market price for it.

Edit: He appears to be some kind of minor noble (Gilbert Peter Kerruish)?

http://www.thepeerage.com/p14294.htm

His Royal Highness, Colonel-in- Chief, the Royal Regiment of Wales, subsequently received Lieutenant-Colonel Peter Kerruish on relinquishing command of the 1st Battalion at Kensington Palace.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/court-circular-1559850.html

Edited by Dorkins

People need to take a hard and honest look at their sums and figure out what their break even price is. If they get more than that, then fair f_cks to them.

What inheritors can't and shouldn't expect to get is a sum of 'money to enjoy from it'.

Edited by Diver Dan

I googled the couple at 22:00.

The man Peter Kerruish appears to have a bit of cash. Married twice, army pension as a lieutenant colonel, he seems to have been a member of the Arts Club and so on. Kids went to Oakham school.

The wife (and more directly the deceased elderly mother) is a descendant of King James VI/I.

I can't really understand why we are expected to care that her mother chose to buy a lovely retirement home and had the benefit of its amenities, and now they can't sell it for as much money as somewhere that's not a retirement home?

Their FIRST house is one of these:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=PE8+5DP&hl=en&ll=52.550226,-0.491349&spn=0.003373,0.006539&sll=51.241515,-0.565423&sspn=0.111121,0.209255&t=h&hnear=Apethorpe+PE8+5DP,+United+Kingdom&z=18

Five bedrooms I believe.

Looks like a particular deprived part of Northants. :rolleyes:

Looks like this is the house:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-44421533.html

Nice, but why on earth would you want 4 bedrooms in a retirement home?

A 2 bed up for £115k, which seems more sensible for the target market

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-42747746.html

Plus, part of the house is upstairs. What use is that in a retirement home?

'Dear BBC,

My granny made a bad investment, now she's dead, we can't get as much free money from here as we'd like. Boo hoo hoo.'

Edit: He appears to be some kind of minor noble (Gilbert Peter Kerruish)?

http://www.thepeerage.com/p14294.htm

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/court-circular-1559850.html

I think it's his second wife who is descended from royalty. I don't think he is.

She went to a finishing school in Eastbourne, and is quite a bit younger than him, so one can only assume that he was fairly minted.

Important:

Can someone get that video up onto Youtube?? It's going to expire on iPlayer tomorrow ---

THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE CLASSIC!!! CLASSIC -- IT JUST SHOWS HOW DUMB AND STUPID THE WHOLE THING IS.....

I had a go with extracting the video for the 2nd couple, just to see if I could do it.

However my sound-card is fried and crackles badly, and I'm not sure if that comes through on the video or not.

They decided to hang onto the properties in the hope that they'd get their price. They took a risk,

Since the house price collapse they were repeatedly told by the government (the Devastator and all the other NuLoons - as well as more recently the various Coalition Loons) that the housing market was picking up (green shoots etc) so they continued to think they'd get a good price. The market didn't pick up and they had foreseeable costs.

Who gave them the original daft valuations - why does no blame seem to attach to the original valuers.

For goodness sake at least one of the properties is a BTL now and apparently making a profit - and now there's Help to Sell.

They look to be borderline boomers (upper age border) and at any rate I don't go along with the blame all the boomers thing but in those cases there does seem to be an issue of wanting your cake and eating it. Why give them air time - does the production team have retirement home sales of their own in the offing.

Edited by billybong

I can't really understand why we are expected to care that her mother chose to buy a lovely retirement home and had the benefit of its amenities, and now they can't sell it for as much money as somewhere that's not a retirement home?

Their FIRST house is one of these:

https://maps.google....ed+Kingdom&z=18

Five bedrooms I believe.

Looks like a particular deprived part of Northants. :rolleyes:

http://www.rightmove...y-44421533.html

Good research there bambam.

Any Granny will probably have been happy with it, if she had final decision in buying it, including whatever the strange need for 4 bedrooms. Else she might have put it up for sale before she died, to move elsewhere.

Have people forgotten that quarter million pounds is a LOT of money? Oh people didn't know/don't know what they're doing.

Granny looks to have been pretty wealthy

Her husband inherited an ironworks, and then was Chairman of several companies:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2507&dat=19450816&id=EvBYAAAAIBAJ&sjid=blkMAAAAIBAJ&pg=4615,5892804

http://coolessay.org/docs/index-102346.html?page=5 (Niall Campbell Macdiarmid)

He later bought a mansion, Stibbington Hall, which was sold in 1998 for £1.08 million, whether it was still owned by Granny at that point I couldn't say.

If it was, then assuming she then moved to Belton House in one of the transactions listed in 1996-1998 on Zoopla, she paid under £100k for her place, so complaining about not being able to sell at £250k looks a little greedy, especially when you consider that someone of that age and owner of a mansion is likely to have had very substantial holdings of shares, bought for next to nothing before the Big Bang in the 80s.

And that's over 30,000 pounds, and I can't keep doing it.. No.

My sympathy is not for this couple, nor the other couple, who sounded like they'd already made plans to spend the proceeds of the sale before she died. Pay 2-10 times more than someone else is willing to, and you're a victim if it goes wrong... can't sell at price you want... victim. Sympathise with idiots and you're half-way to thinking like one.

http://www.rightmove...y-44421533.html

Looks like this is an older listing, dating back to 2009, for the same property. The PB tells a story. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-23605477.html

Possibly they went the rent it out option too, at some point: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-27971052.html

All I could think was that they were lucky they didn't have to sell for care home fees - the old dears had conveniently popped off without needing them.

It can be quite enough of a hassle selling in such circs without the drawbacks of a tiny target market and whacking great maintenance charges.

I went to look at a few such flats with my mother when she was in her 70s. They were uniformly poky, and what with the charges on top she very sensibly decided to stay put.

Edited by Mrs Bear

Shite journalism. Why didn't he ask them at what price they'd sell for ? There'd be a flood of buyers at £100k I'd imagine . Then we could have flushed out their real anxiety which is the fact they're not getting enough free money .

Besides , if they'd stuck twigs in vases they'd have cleared £400k sale by now

Shite journalism. Why didn't he ask them at what price they'd sell for ? There'd be a flood of buyers at £100k I'd imagine . Then we could have flushed out their real anxiety which is the fact they're not getting enough free money .

Besides , if they'd stuck twigs in vases they'd have cleared £400k sale by now

Ha, that would be against the narrative of the powers that be, and the vested interests.

But the owner did say, he rented it out. So win win.

Ha, that would be against the narrative of the powers that be, and the vested interests.

But the owner did say, he rented it out. So win win.

.....the elderly renters are the cleverest ones. ;)

Just watch these people moaning about not being able to sell.....

They just don't want to face REALITY --- These places are actually worthless..... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ast_17_02_2014/

Go 19.10 minutes in to the video.

WOW!!!! There are a couple there who thought they were going to get £400k!!!! They've had it on the market for SIX F*****G YEARS!!!!! - They put the price down all the way to £250k -- And STILL NO SALE!.

--- Sympathy -- SOME sympathy is due....... BUT FCS PEOPLE NEED TO WAKE UP!!!!!! THESE PLACES ARE JUST NOT "WORTH" WHAT PEOPLE THINK!!! THEY HAVE BEEN LISTENING TO TOO MUCH HYPE FOR THE LAST 5+ YEARS ---- :angry:

------

EDIT:

OH FCS!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: "THE PWOPERDEE MARKET IS GOING UP AGAIN"....... B0LL0X!!!

OH - AND THEY SHOULD HAVE RENTED THE F*****G PLACE OUT FROM THE START --- DURR!!.......... :angry:

------------

These people are just a bunch of BABIES!!! Screaming "Not Fair, Not Fair!!" --- Chucking their toys out of their playpens..... FCS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR... :angry: :angry:

Thanks for that Eric, That's cheered up my northants days.

I'm not surprised gto be honest, Northant's not a well off area but looking at the house asking prices that have popped up since October last year you'd think everyone was a multi millionaire.

I think stories like this will be more and more common this year as people try to sell their houses at 2007++ prices and fail.

.....the elderly renters are the cleverest ones. ;)

The elderly renters who sold in 2007, invested in gold, the shares then bit coin and have now sold up and are sitting on cash....are the cleverest ones.

I bet their aint many of them, just Bruce.