House Price Crash Forum

Property In Scandanavia

credo

HOLA441

Hi,

I just wondered if anyone could give me some general advice about buying property in Scandinavia. I've been to Denmark and I like the way their society seems to function. I'm single, 33, am a postgrad, have no kids and need a fresh start in life.

I only have 6k in savings, however I should be able to save up around 15-20k within the next couple of years and am going to try and learn Norwegian and Danish during this period.

Is there anywhere in Scandinavia that's particularly cheap propertywise or is reasonably affordable and easy to find work? I understand the cost of living is quite high in these countries and that people with foreign surnames can be discriminated against in the jobs market. I think though I could make a good go of it. I like the idea of properly funded public services and want to contribute as much as I can back to society.

HOLA442
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA443

Bump and I was wondering this myself. Rural Scandanavia seems cheap, but presumably quite isolated.

Many of the towns are small, Norway, Sweden and Denmark only seem to have 2 large Cities/towns each.

What are the downsides to something like this? For a couple with small kids.

http://home.dk/boligkatalog/egedal/2765/huse-villaer/nyboelle_gadekaersvej_2_118b1085.aspx

1.1m DKK / £123k

Seems commutable to Copenhagen (30 minutes if driving, would have to drive to a station to use public transport - is there parking at Ballerup?).

I work in IT and would have to commute to Copenhagen (or other Scandinavian big City) initially - maybe work from home partly after a while.

Ideally though I'd prefer a home somewhere with more facilities / wide range of food / restaurants.

Can you find a good combination of affordable detached/family house, good commute and restaurants somewhere near the big cities?

What kind of prices? Seems such a huge variety. Can't make head nor tail.

Searching the websites is quite confusing. Local knowledge needed I think!

Also - the houses are quite varied, are the cheaper ones expensive to heat?

Is property tax a big amount?

I searched for 75m2+ (as they include outer walls in calcs - so deduct 15% compared to other countries?, up to 1.5m DKK (£168k), Villa, townhouse around Copenhagen. Could spend more money, but picked an average price for round here (as was)...

http://www.boligportal.dk/en/ejerbolig/soeg_ejerbolig#/alle/villa,raekkehus/Kobenhavn/-/75-200+kvm/1-10+vaer/0-1500000kr/0-15000+kr/0-2500+kvm/0-200+kvm/0-50+%/0-250+dage/sorter-efter-kontantPris-stigende/side-1/resultater-per-side-30

HOLA444

Someone posted some lovely little houses in Sweden not long ago, in a pleasant-looking rural vilage, dirt cheap.

Not practical for living/working and freezing in winter but I thought about getting one as a place to spend summers in retirement, with a main residence in southern Europe.

Any expats based in Sweden care to comment?

Property taxes a big problem?

HOLA445

Someone posted some lovely little houses in Sweden not long ago, in a pleasant-looking rural vilage, dirt cheap.

Not practical for living/working and freezing in winter but I thought about getting one as a place to spend summers in retirement, with a main residence in southern Europe.

Any expats based in Sweden care to comment?

Property taxes a big problem?

Possibly access to hospitals or cost of medical insurance?

Summers - I've never been to that area in summer, but is it mosquito/midge hell? Just thinking of some nature documentaries I've seen on similar latitude places.

Rural Scandanavia does looks cheap.

HOLA446

Possibly access to hospitals or cost of medical insurance?

Summers - I've never been to that area in summer, but is it mosquito/midge hell? Just thinking of some nature documentaries I've seen on similar latitude places.

Rural Scandanavia does looks cheap.

Don't know about the mozzies and midges, have never been to rural Sweden, but midges are dependent on humidity I think so if summers are warm and dry I guess mozzies are more of a problem.

Temp medical insurance for a few months is not too bad price-wise, normally, as it comes under travel insurance. I've never understood that......