House Price Crash Forum

Firefox Seriously Playing Up This Last Week

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

V27.0.1 which I think is the latest, I run it with Noscript, Ad Blocker, Maskme, Donwload helper so it may be one of these.

The main problem is with videos, they make the page (and once the whole computer) freeze (I've had to remove Yahoo as my homepage as a consequence), take ages to load and on Youtube whilst the main video will play after a pause the preview screencaps of the ones listed down the right aren't displayed, just blank boxes.

Some scripts don't work even after being enabled. This includes forum buttons (bold, image, quote etc.), and when quoting I get " " cropping up all over the place, which I've seen on other people's posts over the years and wondered what it was.

I don't think it's a virus as in addition to Noscript I have AVG and run Spybot weekly and don't remember picking up any for years.

That the scripts aren't working even when enabled makes me wonder if there's a problem with Noscript.

Everything else works fine, no random crashes or big delays.

Is anybody having similar or have suggestions to fix it?

HOLA442
HOLA443

you said the magic word....Yahoo.

Personally, I would remove everything associated with yahoo including all their "protection".

There's no protection from Yahoo, I had them as my homepage which meant it was slow / freezing every time so I've binned that.

Edit: I've just been using IE; that's how bad it's become!

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I think there's been a problem with updating Flash with Firefox for a while. Try it and see - a lot of people complain they end up on Flash's update page but Firefox prevents them clicking through.

Restart your computer and if there's a reminder to update Flash just use that - works fine.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Is anybody having similar

Nope.

or have suggestions to fix it?

You can start Firefox in "safe mode" which turns off all your extensions:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-issues-using-safe-mode

If it works OK then, you can start trying to isolate the problem by selectively disabling stuff. On the other hand, if there is some problem with Firefox itself then it'll probably get fixed quite soon.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I've had a bunch of problems here with 27.0.1, either the menus stop working in one window (but not others), or buttons on web sites do nothing when I click them.

Firefox has really been going downhill since they went down the 'we've got to release a new version every week or Chrome will beat us' route.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Something's broken Rated 5 out of 5 stars

by Patjade on February 23, 2014 · permalink · translate

NoScript is one of the best add-ons for FF and SM I've seen... until now.

Edit: It turns out NoScript put out am unstable update. After reverting to the previous version, everything's fine again.

My link

Something to do with it?

HOLA4416

i haven't been able to use FF on XP comfortably since v 21. The mouse pointer kind of stutters as I move it and typing appears a bit delayed after pressing keys. Having done a restore of XP it is a bit better though. (without wishing to sound like a drone, it does seem to work on linux still). I have found Chrome to be OK, as long as I don't open too many tabs. IE is next best. I have tried a few of the alternatives, but just not sure about the security and stuff.

One thing I noticed recently when windows was updating (with the latest .NET, I think) was that it was trying to contact some Ad site. I don't know if that is of real significance, as I seem to get warnings (from the firewall) that various sites are being contacted, but I did wonder if it was some release of windows that has been optimised for communication with advertisers so that whenever I even move the mouse sends them info..

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I find that every now and again there's a release of Firefox that argues with the Flash plugin. It freezes for a while, and then I get "The Shockwave Flash plugin is not working - stop script or continue?". If I click continue it stays frozen, and if I click stop script it unfreezes about 10-15 seconds later.

I've discovered the following workaround: tools > add-ons > plugins, then set Shockwave Flash to "ask to activate". When it asks during browsing, say no unless you want to view a Flash video on the page.

Archived