House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lid

Trainers

When to discard?

It used to be simple when you were younger, play footie in them --> wear and tear ----> bin

Now i've just got loads of em lying around

In the cupboard, shed, van.

Reminders of yesteryear

Should i just bin them and move on in life.

They're mass produced in Bangladesh and other equally lovely places.

Perhaps box them up and send them back to their respective manufacturers host nations so that the poor souls who made em can have a game of pick me up between shifts.

Lay them all out on the floor.

Divide into piles really like / like / ok / don't like / awful.

Junk the awful and don't like and keep the really like. Then decide how many of the like / ok you want to give houseroom to.

How does anyone ever end up with more than one pair of trainers at a time?!?

Two bases, friends or family buying the wrong size and not bothering to take them back.

The test that I should be using for old clothes (I say should, keep trying) is:

If I saw this in a charity shop, in the condition it's in, would I buy it?

If not then why is it in my wardrobe?

One day....

The test that I should be using for old clothes (I say should, keep trying) is:

If I saw this in a charity shop, in the condition it's in, would I buy it?

If not then why is it in my wardrobe?

One day....

Admit it! You will never wear those purple Zoot-Suits again, anywhere outside a retro jazz club! :blink:

Admit it! You will never wear those purple Zoot-Suits again, anywhere outside a retro jazz club! :blink:

Plenty of wear in it yet!

I did have a massive clothes clear out about two years ago, at least a third went and I've bought very little since and only of necessity. There's still too much though, and my old theory about wear it until it wears out doesn't work as clothes last for ages. I worked out roughly how long a pair of jeans lasted and I had enough to for at least the next forty years.

I threw a pair of jogging bottoms out a couple of weeks ago, way too big for me, made me look daft, and I was having to fight urges to go and rescue them from the bin.

Plenty of wear in it yet!

I did have a massive clothes clear out about two years ago, at least a third went and I've bought very little since and only of necessity. There's still too much though, and my old theory about wear it until it wears out doesn't work as clothes last for ages. I worked out roughly how long a pair of jeans lasted and I had enough to for at least the next forty years.

I threw a pair of jogging bottoms out a couple of weeks ago, way too big for me, made me look daft, and I was having to fight urges to go and rescue them from the bin.

I have some really past it old sweatshirts. They are at the bottom of the drawer, so they never get worn. We both need therapy!

I have some really past it old sweatshirts. They are at the bottom of the drawer, so they never get worn. We both need therapy!

I know a lot of people who are either:

Wearing a fraction of their wardrobe whilst the rest is filled with stuff they've had for years, don't like, doesn't fit, but gets held onto.

Compulsive churners - always buying new cheap clothes and having regualr big sort outs for their old ones into bin bigs for the charity shop.

There are plenty of men and women in both categories so it's not on gender lines.

The best way is only having clothes you like, and paying a bit extra for them because you know you'll get the wear. This is my aim and I only know one person who has achieved this wardrobe nirvana. She always looks great and well dressed.

Wearing a fraction of their wardrobe whilst the rest is filled with stuff they've had for years, don't like, doesn't fit, but gets held onto.

Compulsive churners - always buying new cheap clothes and having regualr big sort outs for their old ones into bin bigs for the charity shop.

There are plenty of men and women in both categories so it's not on gender lines.

The best way is only having clothes you like, and paying a bit extra for them because you know you'll get the wear. This is my aim and I only know one person who has achieved this wardrobe nirvana. She always looks great and well dressed.

When I was up in Aberdeen, I was always hypnotised by the sales. Austin-Reed and Jaeger always seemed to be having a blow out. I got several Jackets for the Pin price of £70 (usually more like £250). Unfortunately, I am currently wearing a ripped German Parka, that's gone all ragged round the edges. I really should put it in the bin, but somehow I am fond of it, although I wouldn't take it to an interview.

I can't believe how "crap" Next stuff is

You lady friend is probably nice, but I may possibly be too scruffy! Although, in my defence, I studied science!

A male friend of ours who is not well asked Mr B recently to help him sort out a cupboard full of coats, raincoats and jackets.. And I do mean full - there were about 40, a lot never or hardly worn, all good quality. He kept 14 - who the hell needs 14 coats and jackets? - the rest have gone to charity shops. But that 40 was not counting several more hanging up by the back door...

He is a compulsive shopper, not just clothes but all sorts of electrical things and gadgets that he mostly never even uses. The house is crammed with God knows what. His Mrs is a bit the same, but def not as bad.

What naffed me off most about all the coats is that for years he was a volunteer CAB adviser and often goes on about the plight of the poor in their area. ( has a Big Thing about bedroom 'tax', but I digress). So why the **** didn't he think of giving all these coats to charity shops at the beginning of the winter, when a lot of the local poor could very likely have done with them?

When I was up in Aberdeen, I was always hypnotised by the sales. Austin-Reed and Jaeger always seemed to be having a blow out. I got several Jackets for the Pin price of £70 (usually more like £250). Unfortunately, I am currently wearing a ripped German Parka, that's gone all ragged round the edges. I really should put it in the bin, but somehow I am fond of it, although I wouldn't take it to an interview.

I can't believe how "crap" Next stuff is

You lady friend is probably nice, but I may possibly be too scruffy! Although, in my defence, I studied science!

She's an absolute cracker tbh but it's the whole package, clothes sorted, hair by frequent trips to the hairdresser, always moisturising, careful what she eats. Most of us who would look great if they did all that, but don't so look like they've dressed in the dark whilst cutting their own hair with a bread knife.

hair by frequent trips to the hairdresser,

I imagine frequent is not every 5+ years...

I hate the hairdresser.

I can't do inane chat about holidays. I love my real life too much want to fly away from it all on a plane.

In fact 30th September 2011. There. Thats when I last went.

She's an absolute cracker tbh but it's the whole package, clothes sorted, hair by frequent trips to the hairdresser, always moisturising, careful what she eats. Most of us who would look great if they did all that, but don't so look like they've dressed in the dark whilst cutting their own hair with a bread knife.

Name the "worst for interview" style no nos Frank I appreciate you work in Finance, and you may have to appear smarter than me! But I have standards too, just well lower than yours! :blink:

You need to smell them.

If they stink throw them out.

If they're any good and you don't want them then the charity shoe bin is as good as any place.

HPC thrift tip:

If they smell put them in a carrier bag then leave them in the freezer for 24hrs kills the bacteria and can get another year out of them ;-)

HPC thrift tip:

If they smell put them in a carrier bag then leave them in the freezer for 24hrs kills the bacteria and can get another year out of them ;-)

You can do the same with other clothes and also with bed sheets. In fact if the smell is not too bad you can just put them back in the cupboard for a week or so.

I imagine frequent is not every 5+ years...

I hate the hairdresser.

I can't do inane chat about holidays. I love my real life too much want to fly away from it all on a plane.

In fact 30th September 2011. There. Thats when I last went.

Hpow the hell do you remmeber that? There was a David Sedaris story where he was talking to somebody, mentioned a date and they jumped in with "That's my doctor's birthday!".

I do know I was 28 years between dental appointments as I was trying to make the 30 and failed; nothing wrong (all my own teeth and no fillings) but got an option of a NHS dentist and thought I'd better take it as they don't come up very often.

When to discard?

It used to be simple when you were younger, play footie in them --> wear and tear ----> bin

Now i've just got loads of em lying around

In the cupboard, shed, van.

Reminders of yesteryear

Should i just bin them and move on in life.

...have you started charging them for rent?...no more than one for each day of the week, then you will always have one pair to put on. ;)

Hpow the hell do you remmeber that? There was a David Sedaris story where he was talking to somebody, mentioned a date and they jumped in with "That's my doctor's birthday!".

I do know I was 28 years between dental appointments as I was trying to make the 30 and failed; nothing wrong (all my own teeth and no fillings) but got an option of a NHS dentist and thought I'd better take it as they don't come up very often.

Ah that one is easy.

Hair cut for friends wedding was the next day which was also my dad's birthday. They picked a day with lots of 0s and 1s.

It must have been the year he died. Which is scary cos it doesn't feel that long ago.

I remember the hairdresser telling me I should have gone on Saturday morning to get it done so it'd look 'just done' for the wedding. Suspect I spent Saturday morning either on the allotment or on here. :)

It was glorious sunshine on the Saturday too. An amazingly warm day.

I could probably have a think about the time I had my hair cut before that. Might take a bit of time though.

HPC thrift tip:

I have put trainers (kids') in the washing machine before now.

Otherwise a good way to de-pong is to sprinkle a load of baby powder in them and leave overnight. Seems to absorb smells nicely.