House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashmonitor

Bbc 1974 General Election Special

I was working at home yesterday and happened on their 40th anniversary coverage of this election. Basically for several hours they ran the live coverage of the night and following day.

It has answered one thing that has puzzled me for some time, why does modern political coverage just seem crap (Question Time, David Dimbleby's election night special) and why was I glued to the tv in the 70s. Is it just the pot black syndrome, snooker was amazing given half an hour each week in the early 70s but has become a complete chav bore fest.

The answer, it seemed better back then, I was glued to the telly all day despite knowing the result....Alistair Burnett, McKenzie, Walden and Robin Day just class. Even the politicians seemed to have more stature (in more ways than one, Cyril Smith not withstanding his appalling misdemeanors), now they look like silly kids...Cameron, Osborne and Milliband.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bbc+election+special+1974&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=LY0IU7eXMbKS7AboqoGYDw&ved=0CE8QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=867

Tbf probably a bit of nostalgia and everything seems cliche these days from politics, soap operas to the anchorman joking with his female sidekick because it is rehashing what has been done a million times before.

We even got treated to a weather forecast from Barbara Edwards during the election night........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01phhvd

and the link to the programme all 15 hours or so.........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/parliament/programmes/schedules/2014/02/21

Cheers for that. I sat through a couple of hours of the '83 footage one day last year and it was oddly thrilling.

Just wonder whether technology somehow kills election night these days. Then you had to rely on class commentary and Bob McKenzie with his swingometer.

I was working at home yesterday and happened on their 40th anniversary coverage of this election. Basically for several hours they ran the live coverage of the night and following day.

It has answered one thing that has puzzled me for some time, why does modern political coverage just seem crap (Question Time, David Dimbleby's election night special) and why was I glued to the tv in the 70s. Is it just the pot black syndrome, snooker was amazing given half an hour each week in the early 70s but has become a complete chav bore fest.

The answer, it seemed better back then, I was glued to the telly all day despite knowing the result....Alistair Burnett, McKenzie, Walden and Robin Day just class. Even the politicians seemed to have more stature (in more ways than one, Cyril Smith not withstanding his appalling misdemeanors), now they look like silly kids...Cameron, Osborne and Milliband.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bbc+election+special+1974&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=LY0IU7eXMbKS7AboqoGYDw&ved=0CE8QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=867

I think its got something to do with the rate of media feedback.

In the past you got conviction politicians. I recollect people as having long standing principles and values that they stood for. You may not have always agreed with those values, but at least you knew what people stood for.

Then real time media feedback started with the rise of the internet and all of a sudden politics seemed to change. Reacting to problems rather than defining policy. Floating ideas only to withdraw them when the slightest dissent is shown. Constantly attempting to spin and manipulate the media.

Tony Blair really ushered in the transition for me. I'm still not 100% convinced what he stood for.

For Cameron, I have a bit less blame, because the Tories inherited a hell of an economic mess, and his term has been pretty much about survival. The opportunities available for him to define some strong principled policies are pretty limited with the current economic environment.

Just wonder whether technology somehow kills election night these days. Then you had to rely on class commentary and Bob McKenzie with his swingometer.

It was interesting to watch long-forgotten dialogues and sound bites with the knowledge of what happened afterwards. Neil Kinnock especially.

I think what it demonstrates is that our politicians today are unprincipled pygmies for the most part by comparison.

You just feel the crowd in charge in 1974 were older, maturer, had real experience of life (e.g. serving in WWII), had something real to say rather than endless soundbites and just had a bit more gravitas. There were real divisions on principle - not fake arguments.

Who won an election in the UK made a difference in 1974.

Sorry - it made a huge difference.

If Ted Heath and the Tories had won and stayed in office - Mrs Thatcher would never have become PM. The result made a massive difference to us today - because we would never have had the sort of transformative government she introduced - like it or loathe it!

it would be good if they rebroadcast the 1974 world cup. Do it nightly, as if it were live. I bet that would get a pretty good audience. I think 1970 was a good year too, but I was too young.

If Ted Heath and the Tories had won and stayed in office - Mrs Thatcher would never have become PM. The result made a massive difference to us today - because we would never have had the sort of transformative government she introduced - like it or loathe it!

Yes - and no need to go after the Miners for political revenge - and no political approach which has split the sense that people in Scotland once had of British unity. North of the border once returned a majority of the Scots MPs - now the Tories have been all but wiped out there.

In other words, if the Tories had won in 1974 a train of events which looks like ending with the splitting up of the UK would not have begun.

If Ted Heath and the Tories had won and stayed in office...

True, but that's not even a viable "what if". Heath had presided over such a comprehensive trainwreck and was so universally loathed (even by most of his own party) that even Jimmy Savile would have won that election had he been the Labour leader at the time.

Of all the historical general elections to watch or listen to a complete coverage re-run of, 1974 would not be high on my list. 1935, 1945, 1951, 1964, 1979 and 1992 were all either more pivotal, more interesting or both.

True, but that's not even a viable "what if". Heath had presided over such a comprehensive trainwreck and was so universally loathed (even by most of his own party) that even Jimmy Savile would have won that election had he been the Labour leader at the time.

Of all the historical general elections to watch or listen to a complete coverage re-run of, 1974 would not be high on my list. 1935, 1945, 1951, 1964, 1979 and 1992 were all either more pivotal, more interesting or both.

That's unfair and misleading. The Tories had more votes than the Labour party. The redistribution of seats helped labour but above all, the analysts attributed 11 Tory losses to Enoch Powell's advice to the public to vote Labour.

In other words, if the Tories had won in 1974 a train of events which looks like ending with the splitting up of the UK would not have begun.

No, the country would just have collapsed into bankruptcy and civil war in the 80s instead. Which, with hindsight, might not have been such a bad thing.

I think the media is widely dumbed down.

Watching Sochi this week they had a very entertaining guy doing a hilarious skating routine..it was enthralling, but they cut that to go back to the big chinned girly who regretted having to leave that show due to time constraints where they then proceeded for the next 5 minutes with an article about the BBC "trolly" and how much it had become a symbol of the BBC team and a prefilmed advert about the spirit of the games.

I say, Less about the reporters and more about the subject in hand.

Indeed, with politicians we see ALL THE TIME the actual words being spoken, then cut off for the Journos view on what was being said.

Poor media leads to Politicians being unable to flesh out ideas because WE are deemed to stupid to understand.