House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rollover

Panic Among Ukrainians

Bloodshed on Independence Square (Maidan) and rumors of worst yet to come have prompted panic among Ukrainians, with many fleeing the country and those who stay emptying shop shelves, queuing for gasoline and making big cash withdrawals from banks. The mood is a pre-war one in most Ukrainian cities, where people, afraid of the country falling deeper into economic paralysis, are trying to buy up as many essential foods and goods as they can. Fearing stampedes, some Kiev shops have started limiting the amount of shoppers at any one time. Some shop-owners confess they are running out of stocks to refill the fast-emptying shelves, and new deliveries are not expected anytime soon amid the current turmoil. With the local currency, the hryvnia, plunging to new lows with each ensuing day of the unrest, people are desperate to withdraw whatever money they can from their accounts. In many cities around Ukraine people are queuing for cash. What is aggravating the situation is the fact that many shops have stopped accepting credit cards. That creates fertile ground for rumors. “They will freeze all of the accounts tomorrow, everybody’s withdrawing, people are fighting in banks. "Because of the instability in Ukraine I had to dismiss my employees and leave Kiev for Moscow with my family,” a Ukrainian entrepreneur told Gazeta.ru. “I don’t think my firm will resume any activity before things get better in the country,” Banking experts are dismissing the rumors as absurd, but the people aren’t listening, preferring to get their cash out of the banks just to be on the safe side. The shops and banks frenzy is accompanied by another one at the gas stations. Kilometer-long lines of cars can be seen waiting for fuel amid rumors of a gas shortage supply. The huge leap in demand for gas immediately led to an increase in its price. While the panic has spread all over Ukraine, it is worst in Kiev, where fierce fighting continues. There are reports of shops being looted in the center. Residents of the Ukrainian capital have meanwhile started forming self-defense brigades, patrolling their own houses. "Criminals are walking around Kiev, we must defend our own neighborhoods,” Link

Russia says goodbye to Ukraine and they are heading towards new future in Europe, after it is all over.

Barosso has already made it clear he thinks it "very difficult if not impossible" for part of a split Ukraine to join the EU, or maybe that only applies to Scotland? With all this talk of civil war and split between pro-European West Ukraine and the South\East I look forward to the EC being very clear about their position given life will be at stake..

Saw that the opposition leader got booed for signing the peace deal.

Sounds like here with the main parties primarily serving their own interests and ignoring popular sentiment, though I'm not saying it's as bad here yet.

Can't remember what channel it was on (probably Ch4 News), but they were highlighting the influence of the oligarchs over MPs. They flashed up photos of the oligarchs, how much they were worth and how many MPs they had influence over.

It really is scary how much money people can accumulate these days and the power it gives them.

Can't remember what channel it was on (probably Ch4 News), but they were highlighting the influence of the oligarchs over MPs. They flashed up photos of the oligarchs, how much they were worth and how many MPs they had influence over.

It really is scary how much money people can accumulate these days and the power it gives them.

Not at all like the UK of course.

As the OP quote shows, the media coverage has got even more inaccurate as time goes on.

The govt is probably only as unpopular as our own. The most active are the far right. There is no country-wide panic. Only a tiny part of KIev is affected. This is not the end by a long chalk. Sometimes I am in despair at the media.

As the OP quote shows, the media coverage has got even more inaccurate as time goes on.

The govt is probably only as unpopular as our own. The most active are the far right. There is no country-wide panic. Only a tiny part of KIev is affected. This is not the end by a long chalk. Sometimes I am in despair at the media.

What? Nothing to see here, move along please.

Hmmm. I know the media always sex it up a bit but I think they're closer to the truth than you are on this occasion. Last I heard the president had gone AWOL.

Hmmm. I know the media always sex it up a bit but I think they're closer to the truth than you are on this occasion. Last I heard the president had gone AWOL.

Switch on your TV

The BBC are wetting themselves with glee calling it a 'Revolution'. I don't see any evidence of that.

Russia says goodbye to Ukraine and they are heading towards new future in Europe, after it is all over.

Before the Mongol invasion the capital of the princes of the Rus was Kiev. Only 70 years since German and Russian armies slaughtered each other here. No way is any government in Moscow going to sit by and let the west dominate the Ukraine. They will make the cost of victory very, very high as they have always done in the past.

Anyway it is not our problem and we should keep well out of it.

Switch on your TV

The BBC are wetting themselves with glee calling it a 'Revolution'. I don't see any evidence of that.

Well if you will watch the BBC what do you expect? They practically weed themselves with pleasure at the "Arab Spring" and are so biased towards the terrorists in Syria it's untrue. All the student revolutionaries in one office in Salford.

The Telegraph's take is that as the president has fled the capital then early elections are imminent.

President (still the President) and PM gone to Karkhiv, old Soviet capital of Ukraine.

Talk now of whole Eastern areas leaving to join Russia - separate government with Yanukovich in charge. Crimea has asked for assistance from Russia military (reportedly).

Top officals from Moscow are in Karkhiv meeting President and local Parliament.

Not at all like the UK of course.

The language of the Ukrainian revolution is the same as that of all classic revolutions. They talk about the corruption of the government, bankers, and the rich, and of revenge. That's a language we hear in this country to. We will have our own problems soon enough.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0664615a-90dc-11e3-a2bd-00144feab7de.html

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/33e4dfba-9a50-11e3-8e06-00144feab7de,Authorised=false.html?_i_location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcms%2Fs%2F0%2F33e4dfba-9a50-11e3-8e06-00144feab7de.html%3Fsiteedition%3Duk&siteedition=uk&_i_referer=#axzz2u3MZgMf5

Well if you will watch the BBC what do you expect? They practically weed themselves with pleasure at the "Arab Spring" and are so biased towards the terrorists in Syria it's untrue. All the student revolutionaries in one office in Salford.

The Telegraph's take is that as the president has fled the capital then early elections are imminent.

If past form in the Ukraine is anything to go by then the people will just have swapped one load of kleptocrats for another (very similar to the UK in that respect). If this was just about turfing crooks out of power (and it is worth noting the current President was democratically elected) then it would only be of regional interest. It is the EU, US and Russia putting there oar in that makes it dangerous. The best solution would be for Ukranians to resolve their problems without outside 'help'. It would probably also be a lot better for their and our future if they chose not to join either the EU or Putin's proposed Russian economic zone. Unfortunately, I do not think this is going to end well.

Russian Foreign Minister: 'Ukraine's opposition is led by armed extremists and their actions pose direct threat to Ukraine's sovereignty'

Russian Foreign Minister: 'Ukraine's opposition is led by armed extremists and their actions pose direct threat to Ukraine's sovereignty'

Fairly obvious meaning there.

There is no direct threat to Ukraine's sovereignty from any internal group, but there is an indirect threat from Putin's Russia if he doesn't like the cut of their jib.

Now this is a kleptocrat - he bought a house but forgot that Central London is the location location location for stolen funds:

To get why so many people hate Viktor Yanukovych, take a tour of his ridiculously luxurious mansion

It's called Mezhyhirya. I think it used to be the official residence of the president, but got "privatised" in 2004. LOL! I wonder if they'll find the wall cavities stuffed with €, like that Mexican drug lord.

Here it is on Wikipedia, which is an interesting front in the people's fight: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mezhyhirya_%28residence%29

I suppose the Kremlin has noted the names of the Wikipedia editors.

The journalist who pursued this issue is bit crazy, but an interesting person - she got the shit kicked out of her in December: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetiana_Chornovol

Some news reports are saying that Yanukovich has retreated to the Russian speaking east and has declared that the revolution is a coup. It looks like he is not resigning. I reckon he has his eye on civil war now, like all of these leaders. Russians have hinted that they will take Crimea.

Yes, but only because he didn't want to meet the same bloody fate as so many of his policemen.

Some news reports are saying that Yanukovich has retreated to the Russian speaking east and has declared that the revolution is a coup. It looks like he is not resigning. I reckon he has his eye on civil war now, like all of these leaders. Russians have hinted that they will take Crimea.

Do you have a link for that last sentence?

Now this is a kleptocrat - he bought a house but forgot that Central London is the location location location for stolen funds:

To get why so many people hate Viktor Yanukovych, take a tour of his ridiculously luxurious mansion

It's called Mezhyhirya. I think it used to be the official residence of the president, but got "privatised" in 2004. LOL! I wonder if they'll find the wall cavities stuffed with €, like that Mexican drug lord.

Here it is on Wikipedia, which is an interesting front in the people's fight: https://en.wikipedia...%28residence%29

I suppose the Kremlin has noted the names of the Wikipedia editors.

The journalist who pursued this issue is bit crazy, but an interesting person - she got the shit kicked out of her in December: https://en.wikipedia...tiana_Chornovol

Zerohedge has some pics - not €, but some weird tokens (ie. gold) with the Thug's face impressed on them.

http://www.zerohedge...ovychs-compound

Look at the pictures and convince me you wouldn't consider this guy an idiot if you met him down the pub.