House Price Crash Forum

Men To Outlive Women By 2030

crashmonitor

HOLA441

This one has been doing the papers all week. I think it refers to once retirement age is attained because the fact is that by the age of 50 we have already lost a lot of men to accidents etc. and they are out-numbered by women greatly by that age, so longevity from birth cannot surpass the average woman for well into this century imo.

But stands conventional wisdom on its head that men have weaker organs etc, something I have always assumed.

However, these article suggest men have more readily embraced healthy living and women haven't. In wealthier areas in London men already living longer than women.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2560568/Healthier-men-OUTLIVE-women-parts-England-quit-smoking-fit-middle-age.html

http://www.express.co.uk/news/health/460166/Life-expectancy-for-men-now-higher-than-for-women-in-100-areas

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Stands to reason. In wealthy areas old men may well be employing shapely young immigrant housekeepers to cook healthy food for them and, er, keep them fit.

...Well they can always pass their pensions on, making them last longer, if nothing else. ;)

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

This one has been doing the papers all week. I think it refers to once retirement age is attained because the fact is that by the age of 50 we have already lost a lot of men to accidents etc. and they are out-numbered by women greatly by that age, so longevity from birth cannot surpass the average woman for well into this century imo.

But stands conventional wisdom on its head that men have weaker organs etc, something I have always assumed.

However, this article suggest men have more readily embraced healthy living and women haven't. In wealthier areas in London men already living longer than women.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2560568/Healthier-men-OUTLIVE-women-parts-England-quit-smoking-fit-middle-age.html

Who wants to live to extreme old age anyway? Like as not, decades of 'healthy living' will just mean you're likelier to end up with dementia, incontinent, unable to communicate, clueless about everything, and a constant source of worry and distress to your kids, if you've got any.

HOLA449

Who wants to live to extreme old age anyway? Like as not, decades of 'healthy living' will just mean you're likelier to end up with dementia, incontinent, unable to communicate, clueless about everything, and a constant source of worry and distress to your kids, if you've got any.

The latest thinking on dementia is that it is caused by lack of movement, and all that brain training business sitting with puzzles in chairs was all nonsense. So maybe a healthier and longer lifetime doesn't mean dementia, perhaps the opposite.......

http://jonbarron.org/media/lack-exercise-leading-risk-factor-alzheimers

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

'Life is a sexually transmitted disease, an inevitably fatal syndrome'......so yes, quality not quantity. ;)

HOLA4412

The latest thinking on dementia is that it is caused by lack of movement, and all that brain training business sitting with puzzles in chairs was all nonsense. So maybe a healthier and longer lifetime doesn't mean dementia, perhaps the opposite.......

http://jonbarron.org/media/lack-exercise-leading-risk-factor-alzheimers

My FIL was extremely active, still playing tennis into his 80s and walking and cycling a lot, never remotely overweight, but he still got it. And in my mother's care home there is a woman who was regularly walking the likes of the SW coastal path, miles and miles, until even after the first signs of Alzheimer's.

I don't doubt that being a couch potato may well increase the risk, but I have spoken to so many relatives over many years of FIL and my mother in care homes, and IMO an awful lot of it is down to luck (lack of) and genes. And of course the likelihood does increase with age.

TBH I don't take much notice of 'experts' any more. They change their minds so often. Look at eggs, don't eat them, oops, yes, do eat them, and after I had my first baby it was all DON'T EVER put them to sleep on their backs, it causes suffocation. Roll on ten years and it' was all DON'T EVER put them to sleep on their tummies, it causes cot death.

HOLA4413

Who says you're going to get ill?

Of course the risk rises as you age, and this country has a truly horrendous regime governing zombies whose life is over[1] that inflicts immeasurable suffering on victims and their families. But a healthy 100-year-old is a healthy person and as entitled as any of us to a decent life.

[1] Or never started in the first place, in the case of those born with the most severe conditions.

HOLA4414

Maybe mens shorter lives were in some measure down to the heavy work most men traditionally did to earn a living. Now that few men do really heavy work, and those who do work much shorter hours, that no longer applies. By 2030 there'll be so few left of that old working class as to drop off the statistical radar.

And maybe more women are taking on higher-stress roles too, in combining career + family.

HOLA4415

Maybe mens shorter lives were in some measure down to the heavy work most men traditionally did to earn a living. Now that few men do really heavy work, and those who do work much shorter hours, that no longer applies. By 2030 there'll be so few left of that old working class as to drop off the statistical radar.

And maybe more women are taking on higher-stress roles too, in combining career + family.

Law of unintended consequences.

Sexual equality - killing burds since 1990.

HOLA4416

Maybe mens shorter lives were in some measure down to the heavy work most men traditionally did to earn a living. Now that few men do really heavy work, and those who do work much shorter hours, that no longer applies.

Agreed. I don't think men have a genetic weakness compared to women. It's all about the type of work they do and a previously later retirement age(?). Do women now retire at the same age as men? I can't keep up with our European rulers.....

HOLA4417

Probably a combination of many of the factors above.

I see more 40+ men exercising than women of the same age

Less really hard physical work around for men

More women juggling work and raising children (although some men sharing this too). The poor have always done this, of course.

More binge drinking etc by young women etc

Much improved healthcare - and increasing awareness about accessing it.

Equal retirement age.

The Royal family interests me in this area and is a great testament to the difference taking care of yourself and modern medicine makes. You've got some dying fairly young, even in the last century, while old Queenie & Phillip happily motor on until their 90s.

HOLA4418

Who says you're going to get ill?

+1........there seems to be a culture of assuming the worst so you must end it all when you are still on top.

In this clip the 80 year old Ruth Gordon has just had a night of passion with the 20 year old Bud Cort following their marriage, then she decides to commit suicide because she doesn't want to be old.

Why on earth would you want to commit suicide having just got a 20 year old lover and be enjoying life, believing that old age must be torture..............

(Despite the daft finish just a great film by the way with Cat Stevens music to boot)

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I had the impression that a subsection of Babyboomer women seem more prone to dying decades younger than their parents, dying relatively young in their 50s and 60s.

How long you live is how you think, what you do to keep active and positive and how well you look after yourself both in what you eat, mentally, physically and spiritually.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Agreed. I don't think men have a genetic weakness compared to women. It's all about the type of work they do and a previously later retirement age(?). Do women now retire at the same age as men? I can't keep up with our European rulers.....

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, he said:

“Man.

Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.

Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present;

the result being that he does not live in the present or the future;

he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

Archived