House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
@contradevian

Breaking Bad In Ealing

http://www.standard....et-9143373.html

Shoddy journalism as they don't state how much the house is worth! All we know is that it is BTL.

Begs the question. Was the rent paid from the proceeds of crime?

In my small Northern town loads of large scale cannabis farms in rented houses have been closed down. I can see a time when the people start getting quite twitchy about BTL blight in their streets and not really knowing who their neighbours are.

Edited by aSecureTenant

It's not just the neighbours who will be getting twitchy - I can imagine there must be some BTL Landlords getting nervous as well.

There was a big cannabis 'factory' discovered in a nice detactched not far from me this week, judging by the pics in the local rag they had pretty much gutted the place, punched holes in walls and ceilings etc, nicked loads of electric etc and basically turned the whole place into a moist fedid jungle - it's gonna cost big bucks to sort that lot out.

Am I right in thinking the buildings insurance won't pay out on these claims? I'm sure I've read that somewhere.

I'm hoping it might deter some home hoarding. (but I doubt it as I'm sure there are plenty more landlord boomers who can/will pay more than I)

When one considered the referencing and credit checking makes one wonder.

Beware of tenants offering six months rent in advance, cash?

All most scumlords care about is the rent. If you are that old fashioned 'owner occupier' breed the best you can hope for if neighbouring properties are BTL is a gradual decline in decor and common parts and a bit of the old gypsy camp mentality. This scourge blights neighbourhoods at every level.

http://www.standard....et-9143373.html

Shoddy journalism as they don't state how much the house is worth! All we know is that it is BTL.

Begs the question. Was the rent paid from the proceeds of crime?

In my small Northern town loads of large scale cannabis farms in rented houses have been closed down. I can see a time when the people start getting quite twitchy about BTL blight in their streets and not really knowing who their neighbours are.

Round my way, the 2 up 2 downs in the PRS are now starting to look cheap compared to social housing, and they often come with 'done up' cellars with multiple water points hanging from the ceiling and multiple electric points. With unemployment in the white market being high, they're quite an asset to most of the locals and there is downward pressure on cannabis prices which brings a whole host of social benefits and boosts the local economy.

My old boss was telling me about a friend of his who kept his old house and rented it out when he bought a bigger family home. After about a year the rent stopped being paid and the tenants became uncontactable after a final cryptic email from one of them about moving to America. The landlord went to the house to see what was happening and found that there was clearly nobody living there, the place was full of junk and the tenants had installed a load of metal air ducts throughout the house. Presumably this was related to drug manufacture.

When my old boss was telling me this I think he expected me to be shocked but I just shrugged my shoulders and said it was the risk you take on when you decide to rent out property. I have no sympathy for these people trying to get renters to buy them a free house.

Edit: This was also in west London.

Edited by Dorkins

Round my way, the 2 up 2 downs in the PRS are now starting to look cheap compared to social housing, and they often come with 'done up' cellars with multiple water points hanging from the ceiling and multiple electric points. With unemployment in the white market being high, they're quite an asset to most of the locals and there is downward pressure on cannabis prices which brings a whole host of social benefits and boosts the local economy.

Cannabis/crystal meth farms not a good idea in the social sector as a secure tenancy is an asset to be maintained IMO in this day and age. They will evict you for running a drug factory in the social rented sector and then you are banned from it effectively

However PRS is the place for illegal activities, cash deposit, move to a different town, try and stay under the radar and avoid nosy neighbours. Clearly seek areas of high BTL density.

All most scumlords care about is the rent. If you are that old fashioned 'owner occupier' breed the best you can hope for if neighbouring properties are BTL is a gradual decline in decor and common parts and a bit of the old gypsy camp mentality. This scourge blights neighbourhoods at every level.

It's funny I was thinking about this earlier as I looked at the aging grout around my bath in my rented house, it could do with replacing really especially around the shower before it starts leaking and causes damp problems in the future, if it was my house I'd have it on my radar of jobs I should get round to doing. I briefly thought about calling the letting agent and letting them know - then quickly imagined the non comprehension / bewilderment as the bath is still 'working', it was hard enough to get them to fix a tap that completely stopped. Anyway I thought sod it, it's not a 'problem' at the moment and I'll just ignore it.

There must be a glut of BTL and accidental landlords who started renting out properties 5-7 years or so ago that havent done any non essential maintainence at all. Quick lick round with the magnolia, run a vax over the cheap carpet if you're lucky and game on. Cheapest possible fittings and workmen. The workmen love it, they charge full whack to the landlord, do a shyte bodge up job on the cheap, tennent doesn't have any say, landlord doesn't really care as they don't have to live there, and when the cheap extractor / whatever fails the cycle is repeated in a couple of years.

Or the tennent just doesn't bother to use it, puts up with damp 'cos they're used to it from all the other crap homes they've rented, doesn't care the gutters are leaking and drains are blocked... storing up more and more problems and expense further down the line. It's a vicious circle too, the worse the condition of the house the less the tennents are likely to care / look after it so the quicker it decays.

I think the allure of BTL will fade as the realisation of how high the actual long term maintainance costs on cheaply built housing actually is.

Our housing stock is in a shocking state and getting worse fast, quick refurbs on low budgets by amatur landlords don't address the underlying problems. We need a MASSIVE house replacement programme as well as loads more new homes, but there's no money left to rebuild the old stuff and the NIMBYs won't allow anything new.

Many landlords will also get a shock if the govt ever does get round to implementing some much needed minimun standards - ie min 'C' energy rating, max dampness levels, proper fire alarms and electric inspections etc etc

It's funny I was thinking about this earlier as I looked at the aging grout around my bath in my rented house, it could do with replacing really especially around the shower before it starts leaking and causes damp problems in the future, if it was my house I'd have it on my radar of jobs I should get round to doing. I briefly thought about calling the letting agent and letting them know - then quickly imagined the non comprehension / bewilderment as the bath is still 'working', it was hard enough to get them to fix a tap that completely stopped. Anyway I thought sod it, it's not a 'problem' at the moment and I'll just ignore it.

There must be a glut of BTL and accidental landlords who started renting out properties 5-7 years or so ago that havent done any non essential maintainence at all. Quick lick round with the magnolia, run a vax over the cheap carpet if you're lucky and game on. Cheapest possible fittings and workmen. The workmen love it, they charge full whack to the landlord, do a shyte bodge up job on the cheap, tennent doesn't have any say, landlord doesn't really care as they don't have to live there, and when the cheap extractor / whatever fails the cycle is repeated in a couple of years.

Or the tennent just doesn't bother to use it, puts up with damp 'cos they're used to it from all the other crap homes they've rented, doesn't care the gutters are leaking and drains are blocked... storing up more and more problems and expense further down the line. It's a vicious circle too, the worse the condition of the house the less the tennents are likely to care / look after it so the quicker it decays.

I think the allure of BTL will fade as the realisation of how high the actual long term maintainance costs on cheaply built housing actually is.

Our housing stock is in a shocking state and getting worse fast, quick refurbs on low budgets by amatur landlords don't address the underlying problems. We need a MASSIVE house replacement programme as well as loads more new homes, but there's no money left to rebuild the old stuff and the NIMBYs won't allow anything new.

Many landlords will also get a shock if the govt ever does get round to implementing some much needed minimun standards - ie min 'C' energy rating, max dampness levels, proper fire alarms and electric inspections etc etc

I agree with that you say, but tenants have to be careful of not failing under what Lord Denham referred to as using a property in a ''tenant-like manner"

Have just watched 5 sets of people go and view a house on our street (Yes I am *that* nosey)

At least 2 of them looked like they were casing it for a farm.

Have just watched 5 sets of people go and view a house on our street (Yes I am *that* nosey)

At least 2 of them looked like they were casing it for a farm.

What does casing a place for a farm look like it? :blink:

Cannabis/crystal meth farms not a good idea in the social sector as a secure tenancy is an asset to be maintained IMO in this day and age. They will evict you for running a drug factory in the social rented sector and then you are banned from it effectively

However PRS is the place for illegal activities, cash deposit, move to a different town, try and stay under the radar and avoid nosy neighbours. Clearly seek areas of high BTL density.

I don't do anything like that, but lots of people nearby do. I'm on a 100% social housing street surrounded by ex NCB terraced streets which are a mix of council, oo and prs owned housing, mainly PRS now.

Indeed, even if "accidental" BTLers who used to be diligent neighbours. Some relatives of mine were complaining about a house on their street being rented out because the tenants didn't attend to the now flaking paintwork on the exterior. Nothing to do with their now ex-neighbour ceasing to care.