House Price Crash Forum

Bond Scottish Bond

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Pathetic, isn't it? Westminster has granted us dispensation to borrow money. Originally it would be from the National Loans Fund, God forbid that Scotland is allowed to issue bonds, with Holyrood given limited room to move on taxes to pay these loans back.

We have a massive stooshy over keeping the pound, with this very person telling us that we would not be able to borrow at the preferential rates that the UK gets, and the next week he tells us we can issue bonds.

He must think we're zipped up at the back!

HOLA445
Guest TheBlueCat

Pathetic, isn't it? Westminster has granted us dispensation to borrow money. Originally it would be from the National Loans Fund, God forbid that Scotland is allowed to issue bonds, with Holyrood given limited room to move on taxes to pay these loans back.

We have a massive stooshy over keeping the pound, with this very person telling us that we would not be able to borrow at the preferential rates that the UK gets, and the next week he tells us we can issue bonds.

I don't anything odd here. Many countries issue bonds in currencies other than their own - e.g. Argentina, Russia etc. The interest they pay will be based on their own credit worthiness rather than that of the other country. These are just like muni bonds in the US or provincial debt in Canada.

HOLA446

If the Scottish government has a better ability to repay than the UK government it will actually be cheaper to borrow, not more. That would teach those English toffs!

HOLA447

I don't anything odd here. Many countries issue bonds in currencies other than their own - e.g. Argentina, Russia etc. The interest they pay will be based on their own credit worthiness rather than that of the other country. These are just like muni bonds in the US or provincial debt in Canada.

Yeah that's how I see it. It's a bigger deal if scotland issues bonds while in the union IMO, although I guess that can be seen as being like municipal bonds in the US.

HOLA448

Canada has a federal income tax, and all provinces have regional income taxes.

Alberta for example is a very oil rich province with the lowest income tax.

What is odd is your argument because is not valid in regards to Scotland, which is NOT a country by definition.

It fails the country definition by the most significant means test; it is not sovereign.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest TheBlueCat

Canada has a federal income tax, and all provinces have regional income taxes.

Alberta for example is a very oil rich province with the lowest income tax.

What is odd is your argument because is not valid in regards to Scotland, which is NOT a country by definition.

It fails the country definition by the most significant means test; it is not sovereign.

There's no reason the issuer needs to be a separate country for the argument to work. It's very common for US cities to issue bonds for example. The UK is strangely restrictive when it comes to powers devolved from Westminster, allowing Scotland to borrow in its own right is just a step towards the norm as far as I can see.

HOLA4414

There's no reason the issuer needs to be a separate country for the argument to work. It's very common for US cities to issue bonds for example. The UK is strangely restrictive when it comes to powers devolved from Westminster, allowing Scotland to borrow in its own right is just a step towards the norm as far as I can see.

Historically HMG has always taken the view that since it can borrow more cheaply than anyone else it should do all the borrowing for subordinate entities. (This attitude has the pleasing side effect that HMG completely controls the flow of money.)

HOLA4415

You miss the point, or more likely I didn't make it clear enough! There is already a mechanism on the table to allow Holyrood to borrow. The issuance of bonds has already been acknowledged as likely to be a more expensive option, but now it's being thrown into the mix.

Why would Holyrood take up the more expensive option? How does it benefit Osborne/Alexander if Holyrood opts for the sensible option?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Guest TheBlueCat

You miss the point, or more likely I didn't make it clear enough! There is already a mechanism on the table to allow Holyrood to borrow. The issuance of bonds has already been acknowledged as likely to be a more expensive option, but now it's being thrown into the mix.

Why would Holyrood take up the more expensive option? How does it benefit Osborne/Alexander if Holyrood opts for the sensible option?

Borrowing is a natural extension of tax raising powers and devolved authority. I thought that's what you wanted? Coming running back to daddy crying 'wah, wah, those nasty bond buyers won't lend me money cheaply, please do it for me' doesn't exactly strike me as the actions of a country wanting to find its own way in the world.

HOLA4418

Borrowing is a natural extension of tax raising powers and devolved authority. I thought that's what you wanted? Coming running back to daddy crying 'wah, wah, those nasty bond buyers won't lend me money cheaply, please do it for me' doesn't exactly strike me as the actions of a country wanting to find its own way in the world.

It is what we want, but not with the limited tax raising powers that are on the table. Thanks for the suggest phrases, I'll now add "too childish" to the "too dumb, too poor, too stupid" litany.