House Price Crash Forum
BandWagon

18 Conservative Posters Promising To Build More Houses

There was a time in the UK when building houses won votes.

After 1979, the Conservatives turned their attention from house-building to home-owning, from those in need of a house to those who already have one.

http://stephentall.org/2014/02/19/18-posters-in-which-the-conservatives-promise-to-build-more-houses-the-last-one-appeared-in-1979/

Nowadays, election posters are like something out of some dystopian science fiction film, with promises limited to vague cryptic messages like

'change' '

hope'

'forward'

'progress'

The Bullshiters Marketing men have won.

Wow. That 2007 one is just hilarious. Even the vacuous "Hope And Change" slogan used by Barack Obama had more substance!

Incidentally, a question springs to mind. Given that we've had the "green belt" since the 1940s(?), how is it they were able to build so many houses back then?

What's the difference between, say, 1970 and today?

I suspect that, once a large enough number of households become "homeowners", they had a vested interest in maintaining or increasing the value of their property and thus restricting the number of new houses being built.

If that's the case, we're a pretty selfish nation.

The 2007 poster is tragically funny. Shows what a sham party campaigning has become.

Wow. That 2007 one is just hilarious. Even the vacuous "Hope And Change" slogan used by Barack Obama had more substance!

Incidentally, a question springs to mind. Given that we've had the "green belt" since the 1940s(?), how is it they were able to build so many houses back then?

I suspect that, once a large enough number of households become "homeowners", they had a vested interest in maintaining or increasing the value of their property and thus restricting the number of new houses being built.

I honestly thought it was a parody

con-house-poster-1950.png

I don't know why they didn't just give him a hammer and sickle.

the bloke in the poster is albanian,not british.

Since the 1970s the green belt has DOUBLED in size.

I'm genuinely confused by what posters on here are saying.

Is it that there are not enough houses, or is that due to too much mortgage finance, they are too expensive?

It's my view that there's not a housing shortage per se, but there is definitely a shortage of affordable rented accommodation, because council houses were sold off at a discount and not replaced.

Anyway, i find it amusing that Stephen tall, who is the editor of Liberal Democrat Voice and a real enthusiast for this abortion of a government, is having a go at the Tories. Must be an election coming up.

Now that I've seen them posters, I feel even more despondent. All the parties know we need more affordable RENTED homes to replace the council ones sold off and quit RTB. The sheer contempt for the electorate is astounding!!

I'm ******ing disgusted with this lot! And as a lifelong Tories voter, I feel vindicated because in 2010 it was the first time I didn't vote Tories.

As homes turned into assets then those speculating on their assets had a vested interest in throttling back back production. Banks, boomers and politicians.