House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bulltulip

Self Build

I have read quite a few posts on people wanting to do a self build but it not really being an option as what little land is available is exorbitantly expensive. Do you think it would be a good idea to have a self build forum where people could exchange details of any available land they are aware of, any new ideas in house construction, and perhaps a means to collaborate with a view to have councils free up more land for self build.

I have read quite a few posts on people wanting to do a self build but it not really being an option as what little land is available is exorbitantly expensive. Do you think it would be a good idea to have a self build forum where people could exchange details of any available land they are aware of, any new ideas in house construction, and perhaps a means to collaborate with a view to have councils free up more land for self build.

Hi Bulltulip,

I am very much interested in self build myself and believe there are others on the forum who are also interested.

I think this topic needs moving elsewhere.

The majr problem with self builds is that local councils have drawn up development boundries in which the land inside is basically hoarded and very expensive. There is almost zero chance of being able to get land for less than £1,000,000 per acre within development boundaries thus making the cost of building a home for young people prohibitive as you would need to spend 125k just for land and that's without laying a single brick.

Agricultural land is about £10,000 per acre or would be about £1k per plot compared to what is on offer. Clearly there is need in local plans to designate affordable land or segregated land for self builders. There is no such system in place at the moment and unti there is, there will be extreamly low levels of self builds in the UK.

Hi Fubra and the Mods.

It's probably been suggested before to the Mods, but can we have a self build part of the forum ??

I've mentioned it below in relation to shipping container conversions

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=197175

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Hi Fubra and the Mods.

It's probably been suggested before to the Mods, but can we have a self build part of the forum ??

I've mentioned it below in relation to shipping container conversions

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=197175

Not fussed about shipping container housing, but the recent article about that Oxfordshire development was interesting. Would love to buy some land (at a reasonable price) and build my own eco-friendly place.

So +1 for its own sub-forum.

Edited by Eddie_George

Aye, would be a good resource for those of us interested in maybe one day mustering the strength to take on the planning committee!