House Price Crash Forum

Uk Unemployment Falls By 125,000 In 3 Months To December 2013

HOLA441

BBC 19/2/14

'The number of people out of work in the UK fell by 125,000 to 2.34 million in the three months to December, according to the latest figures. The rate of unemployment now stands at 7.2%.

The Office for National Statistics also said the number of people claiming jobseeker's allowance last month fell by 27,600 to 1.22 million.

Meanwhile, average earnings increased by 1.1% in the year to December, a 0.2% increase on the previous month.'

Edited by Sancho Panza

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

1 in 5 UK employees works part-time

'Shorter hours work culture here to stay' despite recovery

20% now part time!

http://www.theguardi...e-recovery-live

Thats a hell of a lot of people that are going to subject to conditionality if they ever get UC to work. You'll know where the Jobcentre is, its the biggest building in town! :lol:

So unemployed up, claimants down. Nothing to do with Jobcentre bullying and bogus make work schemes I suppose.

Edited by aSecureTenant

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

As I understand it, that's because if you are unemployed, the DWP will do everything possible to kick you off of benefits, whereas if you are self-employed- as an "internet researcher", say, then you get Working Tax Credits, you don't have to sign on or face interrogations about your work ethic etc, and the WTC are equal to or slightly more than JSA. The vast majority of these new "self-employed" don't actually do anything which could be described as productive work.

HOLA449

As I understand it, that's because if you are unemployed, the DWP will do everything possible to kick you off of benefits, whereas if you are self-employed- as an "internet researcher", say, then you get Working Tax Credits, you don't have to sign on or face interrogations about your work ethic etc, and the WTC are equal to or slightly more than JSA. The vast majority of these new "self-employed" don't actually do anything which could be described as productive work.

And if they do earn some even doing productive work, they can earn as much as the WTC or more, and just keep quiet about it.

HOLA4410

Yes I didn't understand this either...

Sounds illogical. If the numerator has fallen but the result has risen then the denominator must have fallen more.

Looking at the FT we can see that the total number in employment fell month on month. Remember, the work force is not a fixed number.

HOLA4411

Yes I didn't understand this either...

Its the ratio between those looking for work to those in work, from the WORKFORCE.

people drop out of the stats altogether in a statistical, some would say, fiddle.

say there are three people in the workforce...one is working, two are looking for work the unemployment rate is 66%.

Now, one of the two unemployed drop out of the "looking and available for work" workforce, say, they go on a course..

now there is only 1 unemployed person, and 1 employed...the unemployment rate is now 50%...although no-one has found a job.

HOLA4412

And if they do earn some even doing productive work, they can earn as much as the WTC or more, and just keep quiet about it.

I know a few that have gone down this route they actually get coaching on the above basically telling them how much they can earn before they start to lose WTC and ways of avoing the loss

HOLA4413

I know a few that have gone down this route they actually get coaching on the above basically telling them how much they can earn before they start to lose WTC and ways of avoing the loss

So many are in on it and even the job support agencies are propagating the idea to go "self employed"..it all helps to get the unemployed figures down too.!

Edited by GinAndPlatonic

HOLA4414

WTC worked quiet well when the wife lost her job and i was scrapping by on £6.37 hr. She got the full jobseekers and WTC was around £46 a week. Only sad bit was after 10 months of living close to the line she landed £18 hr contract (£470 a month train ticket).

Bam pay all the WTC back within 1 year. Happy days, I assume if she had left the job after April the system would have put me back on tax credits but still retaining the WTC Debt from the previous year :D. Luckly that didn't happen :D.

HOLA4415

So many are in on it and even the job support agencies are propagating the idea to go "self employed"..it all helps to get the unemployed figures down too.!

Thats how the pepole i know become self employed and its the suport agencies that are advising how to avoid loosing WTC ,it`s all about keeping the unemployment nubers down and nothing else

I think they have always known that a unemployed tradesman would always be doing a bit on the side so they have just lijitimized what they have been doing .

But at some point they are going to have to reverses this policy as most of those i know say they are now just as well off as they were when they were in full time employment but are only working a couple of days a week and have no intension of looking for full time employment

Edited by long time lurking

HOLA4416

Problem is it could be a trap. If UC comes in (and its a pretty big if, if you are not a singleton) then after 12 months of 'self unemployment' it will be assumed that you are earning NMW for 30+ hours a week.

HOLA4417

Problem is it could be a trap. If UC comes in (and its a pretty big if, if you are not a singleton) then after 12 months of 'self unemployment' it will be assumed that you are earning NMW for 30+ hours a week.

UC isn`t going to happen though is it..but even so it doesn`t stop them bringing in the 30 (or 35) hour week rule at £6.31, which by coincidence (?) is roughly equal with the tax threshold as it stands. So a couple would hardly get any WTC if at all, and all without bringing in UC..IDS has been banging on about tax credits being to easy to claim.

Edited by GinAndPlatonic

HOLA4418

And with pension guarantee credit, the lost years of NI contributions are irrelevant to retirement income. That has to be a massive motivator, and the coalition has done nothing to change that in their pension reforms AFAIK.

HOLA4419