House Price Crash Forum
Driver

Inflation Down To 1.9%

I'm starting to find certain things falling - some by quite a lot. Broadband, gym membership, phone fixed line costs already this year. Energy isn't as expensive as it was.

EDIT: If you ring BT and request to pay 12 months in advance, the cost per month is significantly less.

£15.99 per month down to £11.75 per month

If you ring and say you're cancelling and going with another provider, they should offer you that line rental deal and also something like £2/month for broadband (versus their brochure price of £16 or whatever it is). You have to agree to a twelve-month contract though

If you ring and say you're cancelling and going with another provider, they should offer you that line rental deal and also something like £2/month for broadband (versus their brochure price of £16 or whatever it is). You have to agree to a twelve-month contract though

Strap in for the Debt-Deflation ride.

I thought housing costs alone went up by around 4% last year .... or is that not included as it is not really a part of living a normal life?

6% for social tenants

I thought housing costs alone went up by around 4% last year .... or is that not included as it is not really a part of living a normal life?

Obfuscation!

We live in deflationary times, but they are fighting it, except when it suits their agenda not to.

I moved to sky when BT wouldn't match their deal for new customers on my renewal. I have to say the no limits package is much better an the sky hub much more stable than any of the BT ones I have had. Will be reluctant to go back but will do so for good new customer package.

Nice excuse to extend QE yet again, I'm sure those in the finance sector and their cronies are rubbing their hands at the prospect of getting first access to all that lovely new money.

Meanwhile, the actual cost of living for everyone else continues to easily outpace income rises and interest rates on savings come nowhere close to compensating for the loss in purchasing power.

Osborne got his fiscally driven inflation rises in nice and early (tuition fees, VAT increases etc etc).

He's now got growth with low inflation, house price rises (for his core and white van man vote), and (I'd argue) wage rises kicking in just in time for the election.

No doubt he's busy with Lawson working on the best way to bribe swing voters in marginals with tax cuts as we speak.

Could be much closer than the polls currently suggest.

EDIT: Breakdown of the components in CPI on this chart here:

[/url]

Edited by R K

I'm starting to find certain things falling - some by quite a lot. Broadband, gym membership, phone fixed line costs already this year. Energy isn't as expensive as it was.

EDIT: If you ring BT and request to pay 12 months in advance, the cost per month is significantly less.

£15.99 per month down to £11.75 per month

You are paying in advance though effectively giving BT an interest free loan so they don't have to borrow as much to provide services and payroll month to month...

true we have deflation if you ignore social rent, energy, food, rail fares, house prices ... wages are deflating either directly or via shorter hours.

Two things....wants and needs......demand is falling for the wants.....peoples expectations for the needs are also falling, they are cutting down on waste such as saving on energy and food, unnecessary travel and trips.....doing things differently such as creating entertainment that costs less or is free but just as enjoyable.......needs must. ;)

Shhhhh.....Don't tell anyone.....but that discredited old measure RPI increased from 2.7% to 2.8$.

Ah well, at least that's OK for my NS&I index linker. No brilliant, but OK.

You are paying in advance though effectively giving BT an interest free loan so they don't have to borrow as much to provide services and payroll month to month...

Does it matter though.

Hardly going to make £50.88 over 12 months on what you didn't pay in advance.

And if you're happy with the service, why not do it when you're a bit flush one month.

Worthwhile to me

Prices UP. RPI UP.

Sky reporting this as good news !!!!

http://news.sky.com/story/1213427/inflation-drops-below-bank-of-england-target

"

Good news for consumers as the inflation rate falls below 2%, "

Please, someone, explain to me why it's good news that prices are 1.9% higher this year ?

Prices UP. RPI UP.

http://news.sky.com/story/1213427/inflation-drops-below-bank-of-england-target

"

Please, someone, explain to me why it's good news that prices are 1.9% higher this year ?

Surely the comedy gold in the piece at your link is this gem...

It said a key driver for reduced inflation was put down to DVD film costs continuing to fall and entrance fees being slashed for a range of cultural attractions.

Whilst a decent house remains ludicrously expensive, cheaper DVDs have been a considerable comfort :lol:

I'm off to enjoy some cultural attractions. May be necessary to travel there on public transport... what are train fares up to, price wise?

BT's most recent 5yr bond has a yield of just over 2%. They can borrow money very cheaply.

Interesting that the Bbc reported on Pound exchange rate movement. Seemed to move down and then up against the dollar and that is where the reporting ended. The boe know their is a problem there. I guess it will drive cpi lower.

The ons also reported that London house prices rose 12.3% Year on year.

Edited by Ash4781

Surely the comedy gold in the piece at your link is this gem...

Whilst a decent house remains ludicrously expensive, cheaper DVDs have been a considerable comfort :lol:

I'm off to enjoy some cultural attractions. May be necessary to travel there on public transport... what are train fares up to, price wise?

Cheaper dvds. How is HMV holding up?

Prices UP. RPI UP.

http://news.sky.com/...-england-target

"

Truthfully? Anything lower would suggest a deflationary trend taking hold rather than a disinflationary one.

In reality Sky reporters believe that price inflation is bad therefore lower is always better.

It said a key driver for reduced inflation was put down to DVD film costs continuing to fall and entrance fees being slashed for a range of cultural attractions.

Tells you everything you need to know.

I still don't understand why News media report these 'stats' as if they are actually important. The whole thing is just a farce.

Edited by Errol